The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

If the White Sox want to move him, it comes down to 2 possibilities:

1) White Sox agree to pay most of his remaining salary. They don't have a history of doing this.

2) White Sox trade him to a team that has a need for 1B/DH and receive back a player making similar money. This would be the more likely option, but the number of teams that need La Roche is probably on the lower side.

The only possible conversation I've heard about LaRoche was on the MLB Radio Network Monday.

There was a trade proposal that had the Giants dealing Brandon Belt somewhere for a pitcher.

The caller then said SF could pick up a cheap option like Adam LaRoche for a year to plug the gap at first base until their next prospect was ready.

The hosts actually liked the proposal.

And my day was made.

Make it happen San Francisco.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
If that's the case, then Hahn isn't actually shopping LaRoche.

Nightengale tweeted that they were looking to move him to re-allocate the money towards a bat. Nowhere does it say anything about eating $$. Reinsdorf settled for Leury Garcia in return for Rios because Texas took the $$. They don't eat $$ in trades.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
Well and the phenomal deals that Sale and Quintana are signed to. He's a magician for those. Eaton's contract is a bargain too.

I was only counting deals when Hahn was "officially" the GM, whatever that means. who knows who is responsible for anything.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Nightengale tweeted that they were looking to move him to re-allocate the money towards a bat. Nowhere does it say anything about eating $$. Reinsdorf settled for Leury Garcia in return for Rios because Texas took the $$. They don't eat $$ in trades.

Doesn't say in the tweet they're looking to move all.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
I was only counting deals when Hahn was "officially" the GM, whatever that means. who knows who is responsible for anything.

Hahn was the GM that re-signed Sale, Q, and Eaton. Hahn has been the contract negotiator for the last 10 years though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
So lets be clear...no one is going to eat the entire contract, so what is the best case savings..3M / 5M? Does that really prevent you from signing a bat like Upton? Not possible.

I think it's more about creating openings. Dumping LaRoche opens up the DH for Melky which in turn opens up LF for a FA OF bat or Thompson.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
That's not s*** in the grand scheme of the game though. Some teams have $100 million mistakes.

For real, a lot of teams that the fanbase are envious of (Cubs, Dodgers, etc.) have all had massive mistakes (E-Jax, a bunch of Dodgers) and the Sox are much smaller in comparison. Melky, LaRoche and Duke are not team breakers by any means while Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton are all phenomenal contracts.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
I think it's more about creating openings. Dumping LaRoche opens up the DH for Melky which in turn opens up LF for a FA OF bat or Thompson.

that is extremely good counter. really.

i never thought of it in that way. make sense.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
For real, a lot of teams that the fanbase are envious of (Cubs, Dodgers, etc.) have all had massive mistakes (E-Jax, a bunch of Dodgers) and the Sox are much smaller in comparison. Melky, LaRoche and Duke are not team breakers by any means while Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton are all phenomenal contracts.

really nice, but the owners made millions and will continue to make millions. so if the owners can resolve to the fact that they can actually endure a yr or 2 with a lost, yet it will improve the marketability, the fan base both locally and national, and at last the adv, they can come out winners and hopefully bring home a WS title.

I hate to say it, but La Roche will be here in 2016. That salary is immovable. It will be another Adam Dunn situation, a contract ride out. Thankfully this one will not last as long. KW and Hahn have done a pretty poor job at evaluating DH's over the past 6 years. The Ozzie Guillen DH platoon in 2010 with Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay was more successful than what we have witnessed over the past half decade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)

Again, clearing openings is different that clearing cap space and that isn't something I'd think you'd have to worry about at this point (if you are trying to compete). LaRoche's one year deal shouldn't get in the way of "competing" or not "competing" imo. Hahn has already hinted at backloading something which would already be working around it. I just wish Sox would keep their mouths shut about financial stuff. I never liked when Kenny talked about it and I never liked when Hahn does either. If you want to talk about something after we do it (and about how JR went above and beyond...great, I can support that) but I don't want them to cry poor for / make excuses for items. Lets not pretend people don't understand their circumstances and payroll limitations. We know we aren't the Yankees or Dodgers and thus we have to build plans that contemplate those very components (and can't just ignore the fact that we can't go crazy in FA).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
Again, clearing openings is different that clearing cap space and that isn't something I'd think you'd have to worry about at this point (if you are trying to compete). LaRoche's one year deal shouldn't get in the way of "competing" or not "competing" imo. Hahn has already hinted at backloading something which would already be working around it. I just wish Sox would keep their mouths shut about financial stuff. I never liked when Kenny talked about it and I never liked when Hahn does either. If you want to talk about something after we do it (and about how JR went above and beyond...great, I can support that) but I don't want them to cry poor for / make excuses for items. Lets not pretend people don't understand their circumstances and payroll limitations. We know we aren't the Yankees or Dodgers and thus we have to build plans that contemplate those very components (and can't just ignore the fact that we can't go crazy in FA).

Keep in mind that those are Knightengale's words when talking about freeing up payroll space. Maybe I missed it but I haven't read anything where Hahn spoke of clearing payroll.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
really nice, but the owners made millions and will continue to make millions. so if the owners can resolve to the fact that they can actually endure a yr or 2 with a lost, yet it will improve the marketability, the fan base both locally and national, and at last the adv, they can come out winners and hopefully bring home a WS title.

Would you give this a rest? You don't need to post the same thing in every f***ing topic. We get it, you think the Sox are cheap. You have zero insight into the financials of the White Sox and have no idea how much money they actually make. JR has a lot of guys he has to answer to. He can't just decide to take a loss because the White Sox are his pet project.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015