The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:13 AM)
The Pirates signed John Jaso today which confirms their lack of interest in LaRoche.

yeah you most definitely say that. or i could say, that since they, the pirates turn down hahn, they still needed to address their 1b position.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
For what the White Sox would have to pay for someone to take LaRoche, it makes no sense to unload him. The savings would be minimal. If he shows he is still the same as last season in spring training or April or May, release him then. until that time, they might as well see where he is at.

Im not talking money savings, my point is to free up the roster/lineup spot. While youre at it you would end up gaining back 3 mil, but the main point/gain is creating flexibility

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:31 AM)
Im not talking money savings, my point is to free up the roster/lineup spot. While youre at it you would end up gaining back 3 mil, but the main point/gain is creating flexibility

and you got a point, and if you don't mind me interjecting, worst case scenario, for me is, if the sox can not trade him. dfa or waive or whatever that word would be.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)

Again, you aren't going to get any savings. There is plenty of room in the 40 man roster for now. If he is still crap this spring, they can move on. There is no need to rush unless there was a financial gain to be made now, which there is not. The fact is this guy has been consistently a power bat. Last year was awful, but players have bad years. See how he is with a clean slate. Most early projections expect him to bounce back at least a little bit.

I agree with DA. If it takes eating more than half of LaRoche's contract, then just keep LaRoche and hope for the best. If money is so tight that the Sox need that tid bit of savings then they shouldnt be in the market for 100M players in the first place. 3-5M in savings is not much when were talking about players that are seeking 20M+ annually.

Another way of looking at LaRoche is that he was so bad in '15 its hard to imagine him not rebounding to some extent in '16. Even if the Sox utilize LaRoche in a bench role he can provide some potential late inning pop as a PH and or 1B defensive replacement. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, LaRoche batting in a lineup that now has Frazier and Lawrie to go with Abreu will help LaRoche in some way. It's a stretch but a possibility.

DA is right, let's see what kind of ST LaRoche has and go from there.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 02:17 AM)
I agree with DA. If it takes eating more than half of LaRoche's contract, then just keep LaRoche and hope for the best. If money is so tight that the Sox need that tid bit of savings then they shouldnt be in the market for 100M players in the first place. 3-5M in savings is not much when were talking about players that are seeking 20M+ annually.

Another way of looking at LaRoche is that he was so bad in '15 its hard to imagine him not rebounding to some extent in '16. Even if the Sox utilize LaRoche in a bench role he can provide some potential late inning pop as a PH and or 1B defensive replacement. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, LaRoche batting in a lineup that now has Frazier and Lawrie to go with Abreu will help LaRoche in some way. It's a stretch but a possibility.

a nice complete pov.

good job.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)
Again, you aren't going to get any savings. There is plenty of room in the 40 man roster for now. If he is still crap this spring, they can move on. There is no need to rush unless there was a financial gain to be made now, which there is not. The fact is this guy has been consistently a power bat. Last year was awful, but players have bad years. See how he is with a clean slate. Most early projections expect him to bounce back at least a little bit.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)

I could not agree more with these posts.

The Sox would be plain stupid to pay LaRoche $13 million to play ELSEWHERE next year. Their only logical choice is to keep him and hope he rebounds, even just a little bit. If he doesn't, he's gone after the season anyway.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
a nice complete pov.

good job.

Thank you kindly. :)

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
I could not agree more with these posts.

The Sox would be plain stupid to pay LaRoche $13 million to play ELSEWHERE next year. Their only logical choice is to keep him and hope he rebounds, even just a little bit. If he doesn't, he's gone after the season anyway.

Exactly. Us Sox fans have endured a bad John Danks for how many seasons now? One more season, possibly less, of LaRoche won't kill us. Who knows? In a strange twist of irony we may happy he's on the team come July/August. Baseball is a crazy sport sometimes.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
I'd like to see Laroche play more first. That's his one skill.

I know Abreu doesn't like sitting, but he could use some rest, with those nobby injuries/aches and pains he gets now and then.

He actually hit better when he was in the field. .746 OPS

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
yeah you most definitely say that. or i could say, that since they, the pirates turn down hahn, they still needed to address their 1b position.

"3:54pm: The Pirates announced that they have signed catcher/first baseman/outfielder John Jaso to a two-year contract. The ACES client will serve as the club’s left-handed half of a first-base platoon, pairing with Mike Morse and/or Jason Rogers to handle those duties."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/pira...-john-jaso.html

Time to give up the ghost about LaRoche to Pitt. Ain't happening.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 04:16 AM)
"3:54pm: The Pirates announced that they have signed catcher/first baseman/outfielder John Jaso to a two-year contract. The ACES client will serve as the club’s left-handed half of a first-base platoon, pairing with Mike Morse and/or Jason Rogers to handle those duties."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/pira...-john-jaso.html

Time to give up the ghost about LaRoche to Pitt. Ain't happening.

i agree, it is not happening anywhere, to any team. just have to hope for a rebound.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 01:43 AM)
I'd like to see Laroche play more first. That's his one skill.

I know Abreu doesn't like sitting, but he could use some rest, with those nobby injuries/aches and pains he gets now and then.

This is a real conundrum. Laroche is a gold glove 1Bman. Abreu has gotten better and to his credit works on his defense. Abreu would benefit from more time at DH to keep his legs in shape, but his physical health may be better each year. I don't know for sure and not certain we have heard much about that issue to completely explain his ankle, foot or leg issues. As part of other moves I can see Laroche going back to a NL team and Cabrera being the DH. But, you have to have those new pieces ready to be put in place. But, on the other hand Laroche is not going to just roll over because of a bad year. He is committed to improve in 2016. It could be real good for the Sox. Dunn didn't give up it's just that he struck out as much as he hit the ball it seemed even when he hit 40 homers. I guess that scenario could be Laroche also and it's just what you are prepared to accept with those homers,

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
This is a real conundrum. Laroche is a gold glove 1Bman. Abreu has gotten better and to his credit works on his defense. Abreu would benefit from more time at DH to keep his legs in shape, but his physical health may be better each year. I don't know for sure and not certain we have heard much about that issue to completely explain his ankle, foot or leg issues. As part of other moves I can see Laroche going back to a NL team and Cabrera being the DH. But, you have to have those new pieces ready to be put in place. But, on the other hand Laroche is not going to just roll over because of a bad year. He is committed to improve in 2016. It could be real good for the Sox. Dunn didn't give up it's just that he struck out as much as he hit the ball it seemed even when he hit 40 homers. I guess that scenario could be Laroche also and it's just what you are prepared to accept with those homers,

LaRoche is just too old to be productive anymore. Like you said, he can field, but Sox are committed to Abreu at first. LaRoche's fielding DOES NOT MATTER as long as he's with the Sox. One thing is for sure, if LaRoche EVER bats against a lefty, Robin is a fool. Automatic outs do not help you win and he's not getting any hits off lefties. If he puts the ball in play it's an easy out because of the shift and usually he'll not put it in play.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
LaRoche is just too old to be productive anymore. Like you said, he can field, but Sox are committed to Abreu at first. LaRoche's fielding DOES NOT MATTER as long as he's with the Sox. One thing is for sure, if LaRoche EVER bats against a lefty, Robin is a fool. Automatic outs do not help you win and he's not getting any hits off lefties. If he puts the ball in play it's an easy out because of the shift and usually he'll not put it in play.

If the DH spot is still somewhat in flux (La Roche, Garcia, etc.) by spring training, and La Roche is deemed to still be a good defensive 1B (and better than Abrea defensively), there is no excuse why he shouldn't be playing 2-3 games a week at 1B. There has to be a compromise here that allows the White Sox to improve defensively without Abreu losing his position on the field.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
Well, the Brewers just signed Chris Carter, so that takes them out of the running for LaRoche (not that they were ever even interested in him in the first place, but some people on here were discussing a possible deal).

I don't think there is a "running" for LaRoche. No one wants him.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015