Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)
Our ownership is a joke...one of only 3 MLB teams NEVER to have given out a $70M or greater contract. Ridiculous. And if this 3-year thing is true given today's market, they are completely insane and should be ashamed of themselves. Sell the damn team to somebody who wants to win already.

Taking everything into account, if the 3 year thing is true than Hahn should get whacked...unless he is being held back by JR.

Despite the insane money Detroit has wrapped up in a handful of players, if I were a Tigers fan I'd be pretty happy right about now. I don't know how Upton's defense and bat will translate in that park but if Upton can find the gaps with his bat he'll have plenty of doubles and some triples with his speed. Scary looking lineup on paper.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)
So the White Sox are now idiots because the Tigers signed Upton?

I think people are just getting frustrated with the White Sox being such a ridiculously managed organization. And watching all these free agent signings without the White Sox being involved, when they themselves talk about this 3-year window of competing, is gut wrenching. They have absolutely no direction.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
So the White Sox are now idiots because the Tigers signed Upton?

Ain't life grand. I think this a big for our chances at Cespedes. Eliminates Detroit and the Mets who will only do a 1-2 year deal. One threat out there for me could be the Angels.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:27 AM)
Taking everything into account, if the 3 year thing is true than Hahn should get whacked...unless he is being held back by JR.

The 3 year thing in general made no sense, as they went four just last year for Robertson. All the bad money from free agency last year has hurt a lot this offseason.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
Time isn't the problem.

One less suitor is a big plus though. I don't understand how people say these moves guarantee that another player will get paid closer to what he wants. Who's going to pay that? Less teams being seriously interested should hamper that.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
I'd say their idiots if the 3 year thing is true. Makes zero sense considering the next 3-4 year window in MLB and with the Sox, etc.

The White Sox are going to sign somebody. They have admitted it, besides, they said Alexei was still possible and he wanted to come back but he signed for $4 million. that sort of shows they will be spending some money they could have used for him.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)
Our ownership is a joke...one of only 3 MLB teams NEVER to have given out a $70M or greater contract. Ridiculous. And if this 3-year thing is true given today's market, they are completely insane and should be ashamed of themselves. Sell the damn team to somebody who wants to win already.

I agree wholeheartedly. The onus is now on the Sox to get Cespedes. I know signing him guarantees nothing, but this is a tough division and they are expecting to compete. If you are expecting to compete, keep up with your opponents who are dominating you in the free agent competition.

And if they don't.... well, an already complacent fanbase is going to get even more complacent.

I think that unless you inherit a quadrillion fans, then you have to show your fans that you will step up to the plate for their money. No one wants to spend excess money on crap and that's what the Sox have been since 2005. By having ownership never willing to step up to the plate on a big free agent just makes things worse.

Year after year goes by and we always watch big free agents sign with other teams, including our main competitors. I use the word "big" in the meaning in that they would command a massive contract. Year after year we are told that you don't need to spend the big bucks to compete. Year after year our farm system is marginal at best and can't produce the talent needed to compete with teams that do spend the big bucks. Being a Sox fan totally SUCKS sometimes, and it will continue to suck if they don't sign Cespedes.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
And the White Sox would be defined as a "joke." A team without any direction.

I think they have an obvious direction. They are improving the team without damaging the future by signing deals too long or trading away the most important prospects.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Ain't life grand. I think this a big for our chances at Cespedes. Eliminates Detroit and the Mets who will only do a 1-2 year deal. One threat out there for me could be the Angels.

I think it's time we stop believing what teams are supposedly out & which teams will pay what, because realistically NONE of it has been true to this point.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
I think they have an obvious direction. They are improving the team without damaging the future by signing deals too long or trading away the most important prospects.

AN obvious direction that has led to the playoffs once since 2005? They are making incremental gains with that strategy, nothing more. It's a new game and you have to spend to compete consistently, it's not 1985 anymore. Can they open their eyes and see a big splash is needed? Apparently not, so far...

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)

3 losing seasons in a row is hardly improving anything.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)

They just traded away 5 prospects for two players with two years of control. Two of those players were in their top 10. How is that not hurting their future?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
AN obvious direction that has led to the playoffs once since 2005? They are making incremental gains with that strategy, nothing more. It's a new game and you have to spend to compete consistently, it's not 1985 anymore. Can they open their eyes and see a big splash is needed? Apparently not, so far...

I don't think this has been the plan in pre ious years. I think they have been in "win now" mode and haven't taken the right approach. Too many short sighted deals which limited future flexibility.