Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
All the feel good stories about the farm system/renewed focus on development would be thrown out the window...

The farm system sucks now, everyone knows that. With that said, no idea how that was your response to what I posted

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
There's going to be quite the meltdown on here if he signs with the Tigers before Sox get Fowler, etc

Imagine the meltdown if Cespedes signs elsewhere and the Sox do not sign anyone. The torches will light up the Chicago skyline. The comments will be funny to read so there's that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
Imagine the meltdown if Cespedes signs elsewhere and the Sox do not sign anyone. The torches will light up the Chicago skyline. The comments will be funny to read so there's that.

Fans will going to Sox fest to yell at the front office

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
The farm system sucks now, everyone knows that. With that said, no idea how that was your response to what I posted

Simple, Fowler signing means Samardzija's pick everyone obsessed over last year is sayonara for just a marginal improvement.

With Fulmer and Anderson graduating, they'll be back to the 24th-26th farm system again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
Simple, Fowler signing means Samardzija's pick everyone obsessed over last year is sayonara for just a marginal improvement.

Marginal improvement over Avi? It would actually be the biggest improvement in baseball from one former starter to the new one, only topping Frazier.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)

I would rather them stay put and give avi another season rather than sign fowler out of desperation and lose the draft pick. In my opinion fowler isn't worth it and won't put you any closer to serious contention this year and we would hurt ourselves for the future. Would rather sit and let things play out

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
I just woke up and Davis going back to Baltimore is great news for the Sox! We can just about assume that they're out on Cespedes now. So who's left? The Sox, Mets, and Tigers? Anyone else?

Braves and Angels have been mentioned.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Assuming Garcia was the starter and not Thompson...we can't be so sure about that.

Garcia was the starter last year, so why does Thompson matter? And Trayce got us what's projected to be the largest positional improvement in baseball. I have no idea what your angle is here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
Garcia was the starter last year, so why does Thompson matter? And Trayce got us what's projected to be the largest positional improvement in baseball. I have no idea what your angle is here.

Anything to trash the Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)

If they weren't going to upgrade the outfield, trading Thompson to a team that doesn't even need him made no sense.

Fowler would have been measured against a 1.5 war in terms of upgrade rather than Avi.

And, if the improvement's so great (Frazier vs. Saladino), then why are we content with that same player at SS?

I am going to be genuinely upset if Cespedes is not on the Sox come Opening Day.

I felt like the Orioles were their biggest competition for him, and now they're out. And Upton is still around too.

I feel more confident than ever about the Sox landing one of the big two because I honestly don't see anyone else paying them more than the Sox would.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
I am going to be genuinely upset if Cespedes is not on the Sox come Opening Day.

I felt like the Orioles were their biggest competition for him, and now they're out. And Upton is still around too.

I feel more confident than ever about the Sox landing one of the big two because I honestly don't see anyone else paying them more than the Sox would.

Fowler is significantly more likely than Upton. I really don't get why so many people ignore what rabbit and others have discussed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Avi is a 30/30 candidate. In fact he's 4 homers and about 15 steals away from those numbers in a Sox jersey!!

The lil' Miggy that could. Just keep chuggin' away and you'll reach those career goals! It's 30/30 or bust!

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
I would rather them stay put and give avi another season rather than sign fowler out of desperation and lose the draft pick. In my opinion fowler isn't worth it and won't put you any closer to serious contention this year and we would hurt ourselves for the future. Would rather sit and let things play out

I think he's an upgrade over Avi in defense, base running speed, stolen bases, OBP and the Sox could use his pop from the left side. What I struggle with is Fowler enough of an upgrade to justify giving up the pick and signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal? I find myself on the fence. If the Sox sign him I'm fine with it but they don't, I'm fine with that too.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)

Torches will only light up the Chicago skyline on the southside of the city.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
The lil' Miggy that could. Just keep chuggin' away and you'll reach those career goals! It's 30/30 or bust!

I think he's an upgrade over Avi in defense, base running speed, stolen bases, OBP and the Sox could use his pop from the left side. What I struggle with is Fowler enough of an upgrade to justify giving up the pick and signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal? I find myself on the fence. If the Sox sign him I'm fine with it but they don't, I'm fine with that too.

No doubt he is an upgrade but is he a good enough upgrade to put us in a position to win now? I don't think he puts us over the top and I don't think he's worth the draft pick lost to sign him