Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

If he is really seriously considering a 5 year deal, at $90 Million, why not offer him a 5 year, $100 Million deal, with an opt out after 2 years? Wouldn't you think that he'd find that much more intriguing? The total value of the deal is considerably less than most had originally thought, and if he has so much confidence in his ability, he could leave in two years, in a weak free agent market, and do even better, for himself.

However, I'd still want the final 2 or 3 years to be less than the first couple of years, just to keep him highly motivated and encourage him to opt out. But then you all know that has consistently been my take on this thing. All that has changed is that the numbers now seem more favorable for the signing team.

And please don't remind me about the front office needing to back load any contract, because Danks and La Roche will be coming off the books, at the end of the year. I know, but I don't accept that they can't be more flexible, on a year to year basis. The fact that those contracts will be expiring should give the front office a little room to work. If they absolutely insist on balancing their budget each fiscal year, then adjust years one and two, to suit their financial objectives, with less in year one, and a lot more in year two. Just make sure that the money starts to drop, coincident with the opt out. That way, he has an incentive to leave.

It's not that I really want him to leave, but the front doesn't seem to want to commit to keeping him long term, and the opt out, if structured properly, encourages that. I personally wouldn't object to committing to a guy for his age 33 and 34 seasons, but I'm not the GM, nor is it my money.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
That's the problem. Boras tried putting it out there that Davis would play the OF and nobody bought it. He tricked the Orioles into competing with themselves over Davis then turned down $157m, it's baffling.

I laughed at that report.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Well after Jesse Sanchez's tweet I think we can consider this whole thing dead.

So in a nutshell, Cespedes is deciding whether to take the Orioles offer, which apparently the Orioles will offer if Davis turns them down or whether to take the Mets short term offer, which they haven't offered yet. Jesse Sanchez has been on this from the start.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
I've heard that he's a French model too.

I also heard that the Orioles will be changing the "O" on their caps to a "YO" once Cespedes signs with them. I believe that will be part of the contract he signs.