Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Can they put Fowler in the middle of the lineup and expect 100 RBI's from him ? If the answer to that is no then the drop off from Cespedes to him is huge not only in run production but probably in season tickets, attendance and hopes to be in contention .

and I thought after the Frazier acquisition the Sox FO was serious for another big bat. My bad.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
I understand perfectly . The Sox need Cespedes more than they need Fowler . Would it be good to have Fowler and his OBP ? Of course . I'd just like it a lot more if there was someone to drive him in . Fowler with the cost of a draft pick and Cespedes no draft pick and one of only 2 players ( Abreu being the other) to drive in 100 runs 2 straight years. Not fooled by a career year one iota. Not only will he produce way more runs but most likely wil save more runs from scoring also while adding a boost to the Sox in just about every way imaginable when it comes to excitement and being competitive.

Does Fowler really seem like that guy to put the Sox over the top and into contention after getting Frazier ? Right now I'd like to know there's a guy besides Abreu who can be counted on in the middle of the lineup.

Great way to put it.

Don't forget to add - you're losing a pick with Fowler.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
I still worry about long term payroll flexibility. The 5th year would just hamper the team too much to maintain longterm competiveness with sale and company hittng FA at that time. I would rather spend the money on homegrown pitching.

I would hope the Sox FO would be planning for a strong 2016 & 2017. As I have said before, the future is now. Let RH get creative in four years!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
Last thing you want is money tied up in Cespedes in three years when there are so many good players available via free agency

Maybe in 3 years the Sox payroll might get over $150M . What do you think the Sox are going to spend money on when Frazier and Lawrie are gone after 2 years ? There's always going to be an excuse not to pay good players . The farm is back to being woeful now after getting rid of all but the top 2 or 3 guys. Signing Fowler means another draft pick gone. You get nothing for Alexei when they could have, didn't trade Samardzija when they could have. Do the Sox actually value the minors for anything but trade bait while they give lip service to an extended window of contention ? Do you think the Sox would have done that deal where Atlanta got all those guys for Shelby Miller if they had offered Quintana ?

I see no clear direction for the team. They aren't building a farm system and they aren't willing to do what needs to be done to compete unless they stay completely healthy and get 5 or 6 career years from guys. Might as well just tell everyone don't bother getting excited or buying season tix . We're shooting for .500 .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
Last thing you want is money tied up in Cespedes in three years when there are so many good players available via free agency

I may be different from some of you out there but, in my Grandfather years I would like to see a strong team now! I don't want to wait three years!!

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 03:49 AM)
Maybe in 3 years the Sox payroll might get over $150M . What do you think the Sox are going to spend money on when Frazier and Lawrie are gone after 2 years ? There's always going to be an excuse not to pay good players . The farm is back to being woeful now after getting rid of all but the top 2 or 3 guys. Signing Fowler means another draft pick gone. You get nothing for Alexei when they could have, didn't trade Samardzija when they could have. Do the Sox actually value the minors for anything but trade bait while they give lip service to an extended window of contention ? Do you think the Sox would have done that deal where Atlanta got all those guys for Shelby Miller if they had offered Quintana ?

I see no clear direction for the team. They aren't building a farm system and they aren't willing to do what needs to be done to compete unless they stay completely healthy and get 5 or 6 career years from guys. Might as well just tell everyone don't bother getting excited or buying season tix . We're shooting for .500 .

Nice post, I don't disagree with your premise. Hahn's poor acquisitions the last few years have really hurt this offseason. His poor choices last offseason scares me with his choice of outfielders.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
It would be the best offer on the table. Unless someone hits the magic century mark it might get it done, and 95 mill offer gives Sox wiggle room to counter up to 100 mill vs other potential bidders

Funny how he wanted what- 6/150? :lol:

I know this won't be a popular perspective but if Baltimore is willing to go 5 years on Cespedes then they can have him.

I think it's possible the Sox have been made aware of this offer and why we've seen the reports about the Sox looking elsewhere.

One more thing, Hahn has no balls!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
That's cause all of the three big guys after Heyward weren't ideal fits. Still have no idea what they are doing with RF

Upton is a RF'er but ,regardless ,as much as I love good defense the Sox aren't going to end up with a much better defensive OF adding Fowler or Austin Jackson either. No matter who they get it'll still mean either Melky or Eaton in RF or their previous positions which wasn't good last year for either of them unless they convince Cespedes to play there which seems doubtful since he has never played it. You get a bat like his and you let him play where he is comfortable. With Cespedes at least they have one OF who grades out positively defensely instead of all 3 being question marks.