Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
I would give up hope from the Sox standpoint. When's the last time they were even linked to him?

Oh trust me, I have. I truly think they'll land Fowler & I think it'll be within the next week.

I've pretty much moved on already, but out of boredom I've been reading message boards of other teams. There's not one team linked to him whose fans are at all confident they'll sign him (a few Tiger hopefuls but most still think it's unlikely). I just checked the Orioles again and they all think this offer is merely to put pressure on Davis, and that they won't be able to sign him because supposedly they're unwilling to offer opt outs. I honestly have no idea where he'll end up.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Wouldn't it be funny if Upton, Cespedes and Davis all signed one year "pillow contracts," with the idea of re-entering free agency in next years "weak" class"?

Suddenly, next year's free agent class becomes stronger than this year's, by virtue of subtracting those 3 from this year's crop, and adding them to next year's.

This year had a ton of starting pitching.

Brett Anderson is top three next year.

Carlos Gomez and Rasmus are the two best outfielders, for example.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I've pretty much moved on already, but out of boredom I've been reading message boards of other teams. There's not one team linked to him whose fans are at all confident they'll sign him (a few Tiger hopefuls but most still think it's unlikely). I just checked the Orioles again and they all think this offer is merely to put pressure on Davis, and that they won't be able to sign him because supposedly they're unwilling to offer opt outs. I honestly have no idea where he'll end up.

Whats them other sites.

Smart move by Baltimore and I seriously doubt they are posturing for the Davis negotiations. If Boras/Davis want to wait why should Baltimore? Cespedes would fill a void that Baltimore has.

Slowly but surely it sounds like Cespedes' market is coming around with Baltimore and Atlanta rumored to have made offers.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
Smart move by Baltimore and I seriously doubt they are posturing for the Davis negotiations. If Boras/Davis want to wait why should Baltimore? Cespedes would fill a void that Baltimore has.

Slowly but surely it sounds like Cespedes' market is coming around with Baltimore and Atlanta rumored to have made offers.

What I'm really interested to see is if the O's indeed sign Cespedes or Upton. Where the hell else could Davis go? Who else has that kind of money for a 1B?

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
What I'm really interested to see is if the O's indeed sign Cespedes or Upton. Where the hell else could Davis go? Who else has that kind of money for a 1B?

He's been marketed as a corner OF, too.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)

I hear ya, I'm really intrigued as well. The Rockies have the money and opening at 1B but I'm not so sure they would match or exceed the 7/150M Baltimore offered.

Boras is one of the best at what he does but I think he and Davis were stupid for turning down the Baltimore offer. Imo, Boras selling Davis as a corner outfielder in a market flooded with outfielders is a desperate attempt to gain interest from more teams, and its failing.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
I dont see why Cespedes would take a 1-2 year deal with the Mets over a 4 year deal with the Sox. That makes absolutely no sense.

I think it makes plenty of sense. The NL has a bunch of weak teams with weak pitching . That's exactly how Cespedes put up the huge numbers last year. He can bet on himself to A) not get hurt and B) feast on that bad pitching in the NL. Then he reenters the market with a more consistent track record and less competition.

He knows the AL has a bunch of tough teams with a lot of good pitching. Staying in the NL strengthens his chances for another very good year.

It's a risk but athletes are supremely confident in their abilities and I'm sure his agents would rather he bet on himself so their payday can also be bigger if it all works out as planned for him

"ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweets that “it’s believed” that the Orioles are willing to go in the range of five years and $75-90MM for Cespedes at this time. He also tweets that the Orioles are becoming increasingly frustrated with Davis and might even be on the brink of walking away from negotiations entirely."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/orio...s-cespedes.html

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)
"ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweets that “it’s believed” that the Orioles are willing to go in the range of five years and $75-90MM for Cespedes at this time. He also tweets that the Orioles are becoming increasingly frustrated with Davis and might even be on the brink of walking away from negotiations entirely."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/orio...s-cespedes.html

I will say this, if the Orioles land Cespedes for a contract in that range, then I'm going to f***ing enraged.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
I will say this, if the Orioles land Cespedes for a contract in that range, then I'm going to f***ing enraged.

I'll be pissed. But not as pissed as I probably would have been a few weeks ago.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
I'll be pissed. But not as pissed as I probably would have been a few weeks ago.

What's changed over the past few weeks? Anything less than 5/$90M for Cespedes would be a steal. The Sox not doing that deal would be a complete joke and would mean this 3 year nonsense was probably legit.

And let me state for the record that I believe the 3 year deal stuff to be posturing. Just saying I will pissed if we have a chance to take advantage of a crazy buyers' market and decide to pass for whatever stupid reason.

Edited by Chicago White Sox