Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Wow, so he really might end up signing a 1-year deal. I thought Upton might do it but I never expected Cespedes to be open to the idea.

I would be shocked if he signed a 1 year deal. He has no QO attached to him. How is his market going to improve?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
I would be shocked if he signed a 1 year deal. He has no QO attached to him. How is his market going to improve?

Right, it doesn't make a lot of sense. A 2 year deal doesn't make a ton of sense either. Unless his current offers are really that low.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
So just to be clear, The braves just traded Shelby Miller for Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and 3 other prospects, and we would then trade Q for just Inciarte. Seems like good market rate addition.

Still can't get over how much of a steal that was for Atlanta.

I think the attraction of a one year deal would be that Cespedes would be the biggest fish in an extremely small pond of FA outfielders next year. He would have much more leverage next year than he does this year. Cespedes biggest FA competitor would be Rasmus and possibly Upton if Upton signs a one year. IMO, its a gamble and if I were Cespedes I'd take a three year deal if offered one.

It won't. If he signed a 1 year deal with Mets, they'd just attach the QO next year complicating his market even more.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
It won't. If he signed a 1 year deal with Mets, they'd just attach the QO next year complicating his market even more.

Unless he has a bad year, the draft pick compensation shouldn't really complicate Cespedes market. He is good enough that you don't worry about the pick. It is when you get to those guys who are in the 10-15M annual range where I think people think awful hard about going long-term and losing the pick. A guy like Cespedes, who I presume still commands somewhere around 18-20M per year and I really see no reason why he couldn't get that over 4 to 5 years, shouldn't be impacted by the pick. I am really curious what the real numbers around Cespedes are. If he really isn't getting a LT offer, why not offer a 4 year deal @ 80M with a 2 year opt out. Give him the flexibility that he could go short with the benefit of knowing he has a guaranteed longer term deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
This guy has been around forever. Doesn't seem to be a BS type guy

Personally, I'm just not buying it.

With that being said, I really think the Sox either end up landing an OF'er in a trade or more likely go with Dexter Fowler.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
I dont see why Cespedes would take a 1-2 year deal with the Mets over a 4 year deal with the Sox. That makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe the Sox haven't offered that, or they're offering substantially less money/year?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
I dont see why Cespedes would take a 1-2 year deal with the Mets over a 4 year deal with the Sox. That makes absolutely no sense.

Well if Sox are offering like 4 75 and Mets are offering 1 / 25, I could see why. None of us know enough of about what is actually happening. All we can do is speculate.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Unless he has a bad year, the draft pick compensation shouldn't really complicate Cespedes market. He is good enough that you don't worry about the pick. It is when you get to those guys who are in the 10-15M annual range where I think people think awful hard about going long-term and losing the pick. A guy like Cespedes, who I presume still commands somewhere around 18-20M per year and I really see no reason why he couldn't get that over 4 to 5 years, shouldn't be impacted by the pick. I am really curious what the real numbers around Cespedes are. If he really isn't getting a LT offer, why not offer a 4 year deal @ 80M with a 2 year opt out. Give him the flexibility that he could go short with the benefit of knowing he has a guaranteed longer term deal.

I think the biggest loss to him taking a 1-year deal would be that he can't do any better than last year. He'll be a year older, coming off what is overwhelmingly likely to be a worse season, and throw in the QO on top of that. It wouldn't make sense for him.

I agree with the rest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
This guy has been around forever. Doesn't seem to be a BS type guy

Agreed. Not like we're talking about a kid looking for a twitter cult following. Mancuso has been a sports writer for a looooong time now and not the usual bulls***ter like what we've seen on twitter with Sox/Cespedes rumors.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Agreed. Not like we're talking about a kid looking for a twitter cult following. Mancuso has been a sports writer for a looooong time now and not the usual bulls***ter like what we've seen on twitter with Sox/Cespedes rumors.

I'm not saying the guy is BS but his information is BS. I don't buy it for a second. We also has a guy on Twitter saying he heard from a source in Roc Nation signed with us for 6 years a few weeks back. A) no way Cespedes woke up today and said "you know what after months of turning down short term deals and holding out I think I'll sign with the Mets on a 1-2 year deal. B) if it were a two year deal I doubt another team wouldn't jump in and offer more than the broke Mets could. C) the guy didn't even claim they signed him just heard they were meeting. D) I'll believe it when someone with actual credibility reports something.

This whole Cespedes and OF thing has really soured on me. It's gone on for too long and it may even seem the Sox were never serious about Cespedes. I just find it odd that since we traded for Frazoer you have gotten 0 comments from the FO or Hahn. I have to imagine they've been working on something but at this point who knows if anything happens.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
raBBit's latest tweet: "Seeing lots of talk about him, received multiple reports that the #WhiteSox could sign Dexter Fowler in the near future."

Also this:

#WhiteSox are active in both FA and trade market, but Cespedes interest has been moved to the back burner to less pricey alternatives.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm not saying the guy is BS but his information is BS. I don't buy it for a second. We also has a guy on Twitter saying he heard from a source in Roc Nation signed with us for 6 years a few weeks back. A) no way Cespedes woke up today and said "you know what after months of turning down short term deals and holding out I think I'll sign with the Mets on a 1-2 year deal. B) if it were a two year deal I doubt another team wouldn't jump in and offer more than the broke Mets could. C) the guy didn't even claim they signed him just heard they were meeting. D) I'll believe it when someone with actual credibility reports something.

This whole Cespedes and OF thing has really soured on me. It's gone on for too long and it may even seem the Sox were never serious about Cespedes. I just find it odd that since we traded for Frazoer you have gotten 0 comments from the FO or Hahn. I have to imagine they've been working on something but at this point who knows if anything happens.

Ya, I can see you are sour and I mean no offense when I say that but that's what happens when fans get their hopes up.

Ever consider Cespedes never wanted to leave the Mets in the first place? He has said he really liked it in NY. The Mets were a WS series team and should still be competitors in the weak NLE.