Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
I will say this, if the Orioles land Cespedes for a contract in that range, then I'm going to f***ing enraged.

I can believe Baltimore is offering 5 years but I think Crasnick is way off on the dollar amount. That proposed offer is in the range of what Gordon got and Cespedes should get more than that. Unless the offer is for 3/4 years 75-90M range, that would make more sense. Crasnick's numbers don't jive that's for sure.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
I hear ya, I'm really intrigued as well. The Rockies have the money and opening at 1B but I'm not so sure they would match or exceed the 7/150M Baltimore offered.

Boras is one of the best at what he does but I think he and Davis were stupid for turning down the Baltimore offer. Imo, Boras selling Davis as a corner outfielder in a market flooded with outfielders is a desperate attempt to gain interest from more teams, and its failing.

Rox or anyone else wont have to match 7 yrs, etc if Balt signs Cespedes

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:39 AM)
I can believe Baltimore is offering 5 years but I think Crasnick is way off on the dollar amount. That proposed offer is in the range of what Gordon got and Cespedes should get more than that. Unless the offer is for 3/4 years 75-90M range, that would make more sense. Crasnick's numbers don't jive that's for sure.

I could be wrong, but this seems like a push to get Davis to decide

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)

There's no doubt in my mind if he takes something like 5/80, it tells me teams had red flags about how he'll perform going forward

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
I could be wrong, but this seems like a push to get Davis to decide

It could very well be but going by recent articles written, Baltimore comes off as being pretty frustrated so they may have decided to move on. Baltimore has money to burn and an open spot in the outfield so they just might be serious about Cespedes.

Things just became much more interesting, that's for sure.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
There's no doubt in my mind if he takes something like 5/80, it tells me teams had red flags about how he'll perform going forward

Agreed. Haven't there been questions about his projections for 2016 and potential for a regression? I forget which stats but a few people on here have questioned if Cespedes would be able to sustain those stats.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 02:00 AM)
Agreed. Haven't there been questions about his projections for 2016 and potential for a regression? I forget which stats but a few people on here have questioned if Cespedes would be able to sustain those stats.

His season last year was quite the outlier. I wonder about his focus if he has a long term contract.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
I will say this, if the Orioles land Cespedes for a contract in that range, then I'm going to f***ing enraged.

I think a 5 year deal would be a mistake for a player that inconsistent.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
Whats them other sites.

Orioles: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/for.../2-Orioles-Talk

Mets: http://www.metsparadise.com/forum/4-new-york-mets-forum/

Tigers: http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/

Those are the main three I've been looking at the past few days.

If you could sign Cespedes for four years and $80-90 million (and a player opt-out after Year 2 or Year 3), it would be be pretty crazy not to do so.

Sure, he's not a 6 WAR player. But that amount of money, you're paying him like a 3-3.5 WAR guy, which is definitely the going rate on the FA market, if not an underpay based on the upside as well as marketing benefits from pairing him with Abreu. It makes the White Sox a much more interesting team to fans.

Nobody's going to pay money to come out and watch Dexter Fowler, but they would to see a 500 foot homer or laser-like throw.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
His season last year was quite the outlier. I wonder about his focus if he has a long term contract.

I see what you mean, he definitely had a career year in '15. I'm not sure what to think of him at this point. Maybe there's a reason the Sox and possibly other teams have cooled off on him a bit.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)

But with an AAV of $18M or less? We're talking about a guy with a 3 WAR floor if he's not forced to play CF. I get his 2015 was an outlier, but the hypothetical Baltimore deal isn't paying him to be a 6+ WAR player, it's paying him to be a 2 to 2.5 WAR player. Honestly, at that price who cares about a 5th year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:25 PM)

Thank you

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)

Don't quite get the inconsistent label being attached to Cespedes.

1st year did well . Pitchers probably didn't quite know how to go at him.

2nd Year sophomore slump. Easily his worst year but still had an OPS+ of 103 which only 2 Sox players had last year ( only looking at last years roster not Frazier or Lawrie)

3rd year. Improved from 2nd year. Got 100 RBI's. Re-adjusted to the pitchers adjustment to him . All offensive categories up except HR's

4th year. Very good with Tigers and even better with the Mets. Again improved from previous year in all offensive categories.

Career: 122 OPS+ , .486 slugging. .805 OPS

Sox could really use another RBI guy who knows the AL Central otherwise it's Abreu and hope Frazier hits AL pitching better than his last few counterparts to join the Sox from the NL did.