Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Ever consider Cespedes never wanted to leave the Mets in the first place? He has said he really liked it in NY. The Mets were a WS series team and should still be competitors in the weak NLE.

I don't doubt he likes the Mets and NY, but if an offer for 5 or 6 years was on the table from another team, he'd have likely jumped on it.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
Maybe he and Jose aren't that close of friends after all.

No where in that article does it say Cespedes is signing with the Mets. It did say negotiations may have been opened up again last night and could be centered around a 1-2 year deal. It also says along with the Mets and Braves the talks are said to involve two other teams. This is all speculation and the Mets fans on Twitter decided to turn it into they signed him.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
I don't doubt he likes the Mets and NY, but if an offer for 5 or 6 years was on the table from another team, he'd have likely jumped on it.

You can doubt it all you like but Cespedes has been quoted numerous times in reference to him liking NY and the Mets team dating back to August.

I'm not saying he is a sure fire bet to sign with the Mets but it seems the Mets are back in the picture, like it or not.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
You can doubt it all you like but Cespedes has been quoted numerous times in reference to him liking NY and the Mets team dating back to August.

I'm not saying he is a sure fire bet to sign with the Mets but it seems the Mets are back in the picture, like it or not.

My post says I don't doubt that he likes the Mets and NY.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
The case for a one-year deal is that next year's FA class is weak, and maybe some of the traditional big spenders get involved.

A two-year deal would be interesting with the stacked FA class, not sure that's a great idea.

The stacked free agent class is three years from now, not two.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
My post says I don't doubt that he likes the Mets and NY.

For him to sign a 1 or 2 year contract in NY, has another problem. Not only will he probably drop off a bit from 2015, be a year older, perhaps have a QO attached to him (although that was basically eliminated in his last contract so you would think they would do it again) a short term payday in NY would also included getting the s*** taxed out of you . Not only is there a state tax at almost 9 %, they have a city income tax as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Take it for the little its worth...

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2016/01/lates...-unlikely.html/

"Mike Francesa of WFAN just reported that there is no truth to rumors that the Mets and Cespedes are close to agreeing to a one- or two-year deal, although they still remain in contact."

I'm pretty confident saying Cespedes has a less chance of signing with the mets than us. All the mets stuff was a product of the met fan Twitter obsession where they say a rumor and turned it into a signing. Cespedes will be out there holding out for the deal he wants until spring training comes closer.

Like I said earlier, I think that guy was putting out BS. It doesn't line up with anything that has been talked about before & good chance that if he was willing to take a lower deal, another team has more money & he'd be signed right now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
I seriously doubt the difference between cespedes and fowler includes an entire starting pitcher.

I don't think it's that hard to believe. Cespedes will probably get $20-22M per, while Fowler will probably get $12-14M per (maybe lower side due to comp pick). That's a difference of around $8M per & that difference alone could land them someone like Fister or Latos.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Roch KubatkoVerified account ‏@masnRoch 6m6 minutes ago

Per industry source, #orioles have made offer to Cespedes. Seem to prefer him over Upton at the moment. Nothing new on Chris Davis.

I'm just hoping one way or another, he signs soon so we know what the hell is going on.

Wouldn't it be funny if Upton, Cespedes and Davis all signed one year "pillow contracts," with the idea of re-entering free agency in next years "weak" class"?

Suddenly, next year's free agent class becomes stronger than this year's, by virtue of subtracting those 3 from this year's crop, and adding them to next year's.