2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
So, apparently in New York State it is legal for one party to record another without the other's express permission.

This is relevant today because as of last week we started hearing rumors that Gretchen Carlson had been taping comments by Roger Ailes and others for the last several years.

Within a few days of the rumors that there were tapes, Fox News settled her sexual harassment claim for $20 million, along with several other claims by other women today, and issued a public apology.

For the most part, people such as Sean Hannity who tweeted that she was a liar have yet to comment.

What's very odd about this is usually cases are settled and the financial terms not disclosed. I am married to a Labor/Employment lawyer, and she thinks the $20 million figure is BS.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)

I don't really know what the guy is supposed to do. Trump has been refusing to answer questions for a year now; what is Matt Lauer going to do to change that? He simply ignores questions and spews a bunch of general nonsense, often times on a completely different subject matter. Trying to interrupt him or hold him to answer the question at hand would simply result in an awkward and uncomfortable mess.

The only thing I think needs to stop is the "Are you prepared for " questions. Just prep him to see if he is prepared, don't ask if he is. Obviously he isn't.

But my favorite was trump correcting the veteran that actually the statistic was worse, but Trump was in fact wrong and the veteran was right.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
The only thing I think needs to stop is the "Are you prepared for " questions. Just prep him to see if he is prepared, don't ask if he is. Obviously he isn't.

But my favorite was trump correcting the veteran that actually the statistic was worse, but Trump was in fact wrong and the veteran was right.

The veteran who started her question by stating she lost two friends to suicide and suffered from PTSD herself. Her reaction was to look absolutely furious at his "well, actually"

gJoj0Y.gif

Oh and his solution to her question was "more pills!"

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)

Trump was actually right about the "22" number, there's the #22challenge and everything. But there was noooooooooooo reason for him to correct her. Everyone understood what she was asking.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Trump was actually right about the "22" number, there's the #22challenge and everything. But there was noooooooooooo reason for him to correct her. Everyone understood what she was asking.

Right I mean technically they are both right, but the VA study from June 2016 was the number revised to 20, 22 was based off of the study in 2013 and the basis of that cause. Just a "Actually I know this one! People don't know this, but it's actually 22. And Iraq has a lot of oil, people forget that."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
I'm not sure what the first link is supposed to do. You still haven't responded to anything at all about the case in question and why it isn't as obviously racially motivated as it appears.

I don't know how to answer you.

In-person voter fraud is a dumb thing to try for the reasons I've already explained which you've just ignored. There are much more likely avenues for electoral fraud, and to pull off a coordinated effort of in-person voter fraud would be a massive undertaking. If you're going to try to attack something, you pick the easiest and most likely for success avenues, not the hardest and most complex.

It's easier than rigging a box or losing a box. I'll Trump it for you....Trust Me, Believe Me

Voter fraud is detectable through various means, and it's really not a problem within the US. To the extent that it does happen, in-person is the form that's least susceptible to fraud.

In Person Voter Fraud would be very difficult. I have not had my way refuted in this thread.

That's not vote fraud. That's also an article about an election 16 years ago.

Buying votes is absolutely voter fraud.

Gerrymandering ensures that they'll be more Democrats elected than Republicans which I said several posts back. Even if given full control of the process, Republicans couldn't gerrymander Chicago enough to get Republican majorities out of the city because they're simply too overwhelmed in numbers. You can't turn 24% of the vote into a majority of elected offices.

You are making assumptions here about voter turnout. There's a reason everyone outside of the dems complain about the system today.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
I don't know how to answer you.

Tell us why you doubt that the law was created to suppress black voters, given (a) the evidence of intent, (b) the fact that it would cause a strong disparate impact between races, (c ) the legislators inability to justify the claimed rationale for the law, and (d) the obvious political benefit they had to gain.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
This multi-page voter fraud argument has me considering killing myself. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing it?

Hold on, we're gonna need some photo identification before we can take any votes on how you should kill yourself.

God, so much to unpack from last night. Isolated from it all, Trump openly talking about his briefings and the body language and how upset they were that leaders don't follow their suggestions is really something!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Are you really using the length of a career politician's "fairly successful" career as something that makes her a good candidate? I assume you're a big fan of Mitch McConnell and John McCain too?

She's covered in fraud every step of the way. She couldn't even smile and wave as first lady, she had to work in a scandal then too. She had to step down from her last position dishonorably. She's corrupt to the core and symbolic of everything that is wrong with our country's politics. Not to mention she's unbearable in her speeches and transgressions...or at least she had been before she fell off the map as the Trump show took over.

The only thing that keeps her around is the elite's money, the fact that she's a woman and our country's marriage to bipartisanship.

EDIT: Hillary and Powell are both neoconservatives when it comes to waging war. That's why she's getting certain endorsements from the right. That's why many war mongers were extatic when Obama nominated her as SOS.

I am not a Hillary fan, but to throw the fact that she had to work in a scandal as the first lady, well, that is a pretty low blow, given she was not directly involved in what lead to that scandal (was tied to her husband). Why is Hillary a neoconservative when it comes to waging war? I also don't view Powell as a war mongerer though.

I'm not a fan of Mitch McConnell or McCain, but either of them are at least clearly qualified to be President in the same way that Clinton is. I'm not talking about policy agreement here.

Hillary's been plagued by what I'd deem as witch-hunts for 25 years but you'd disagree, but for all of the allegations of fraud, little if anything has actually proven out. I don't care if she "smiled" or not as first lady. For all of the endless investigations into so many things, she's actually come through with remarkably little dirt stuck to her. Years of attacks against her have left her with a tarnished image, fairly or not, but even still, she doesn't come close to rising to the level of Trump's incompetence, fraud and corruption for an even longer period of time.

I wouldn't classify Hillary as a neoconservative and think you overuse that word a bit much, but she's definitely a hawk and it's definitely my least favorite aspect of her. I wouldn't even lump Powell in with the neoconservatives despite my issues with his being a coverup artist for atrocities and war crimes going back to My Lai.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
I am not a Hillary fan, but to throw the fact that she had to work in a scandal as the first lady, well, that is a pretty low blow, given she was not directly involved in what lead to that scandal (was tied to her husband). Why is Hillary a neoconservative when it comes to waging war? I also don't view Powell as a war mongerer though.

I think he might have been referring to whitewater, a series of investigations during the Clinton admin that never found any wrongdoing by them.

Edited by StrangeSox

No more corrupt than the average politician, probably less so given how many investigations she's been subjected to that have found no wrongdoing. Just look at the latest string of them: up to about a baker's dozen House committees investigating Benghazi that completely unsurprisingly have found nothing, more recently a bunch of reports about how Huma blew off some people asking for special access and how scandalous it was for Clinton to meet with a nobel peace prize/presidential/congressional medal winner.

Feel free to list specifics if you want, but since you already went to the Whitewater well, I don't have high hopes.