2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
Yes, those are legitimate questions of Hillary. They are also not what people are referring to when talking about sexist attitudes toward Clinton.

This reminds me of a circular gamergate argument where I'm just going to hear" NO, it's about ethics in gamer journalism".

You are free to criticize Hillary Clinton's politics, which Bernie Sanders has done, and successfully.

But, if you make sexist critiques against Hillary Clinton, it is allowed to be pointed out. And if the response is "What? You can't criticize Hillary Clinton without being a sexist?", I just don't think that's a good faith argument.

Greg's comment had the themes I am sick of seeing. They are toxic not because it affects Hillary Clinton, but because that stuff affects all women, and can be called out.

If Greg said "I just don't trust Hillary's judgment because of the Iraq War and Email Servers", and reddy responded "Because you are sexist", then I'd be happy to engage you on this.

Hillary Clinton gets many deserved criticism (see entire Sanders left-critique), but there is that extra baggage that exists, and does influence and move a portion of the electorate. There is also a group of the electorate that has legit concerns about her, and also sexist critiques. I'll continue to call both out.

*slow clap*

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
He called her elitist and entitled. Reddy called him s exist for it. I'll laugh at that jump every single time.

As a Trump supporter, I'm gonna take your disdain as a deep compliment. :wub:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
He called her elitist and entitled. Reddy called him s exist for it. I'll laugh at that jump every single time.

Exactly.

I don't really get this theme that my complaints about Hillary are superficial, thus sexist. As we've pointed out, candidates ALWAYS are judged by things such as looks and other TMZ-ish type things (Donald's hair; Nixon's sweat, Ford's clumsiness). Remember I am a huge BILL Clinton fan. I just despise Hillary.

Yes there are certain superficial things I hate like her screaming at me on TV. OK I don't like her voice. But what about the portrait's of Bernie's accent that has been mocked. Carson's voice was mocked. My point is this isn't a sexist thing.

Now am I superficial in my dislike/hatred of Hillary? Not completely. Yes I hate her screaming but I also point to the stories of her being just not a nice person, her elitism (claiming she was poor), the stuff she's done that have appeared to be dishonest at best. I feel like she is selfish, yes. It has nothing to do with her sex. I could easily accept a female president. I just think there's enough smoke to suggest Hillary is elitist, mean and not somebody I trust. I don't trust her. I do love Bill, however.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:55 AM)
Greg, lay off Hillary. She knew her husband was screwing dozens of other women and stayed married to him anyway. She's a model that all married women should strive to follow.

Dont forget all the sexual assaults.

Cruz released his "postcard" IRS replacement tax plan:

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/72025031...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Cf7X1_9VAAEZbQb.png

1. Writing your SSN on a postcard is a great idea!

2. How do you calculate line 4? Hmm, it's almost as if the typical wage-earner's tax form is straight-forward and it's calculating the deductions that makes things complicated!

3. On that note, isn't this just basically a reformatted 1040EZ with all of the instructions removed?

4. How is it a "flat tax" if you have itemized deductions? Also, tax brackets are not complicated and a "flat tax" is just another word for "massive upper class tax cut."

My tax plan [very crude, lacking detail]

1) Different rates for different filing statuses are eliminated.

2) Exemptions and the standard deduction are combined into a single deduction. That deduction is 13,500 for each of the first two people in the household and 8,000 for each additional person.

3) The only itemized deduction that can be taken is gifts to charity. It can be taken in addition to the standard deduction, up to 10% of the post-deduction income.

Marginal tax rates

10%: 0 - 19,999

15%: 20,000 - 59,999

25%: 60,000 - 99,999

30%: 100,000 - 249,999

35%: 250,000 - 499,999

38%: 500,000 - 749,999

40%: 750,000 - 1,499,999

42%: 1,500,000+

Capital gains are taxed at 60% of the rate of regular income.

So, in 10 minutes I get to walk to class past an this giant external death penis makes up for the one in my pants open carry rally in the middle of the protests that greet a standard donald trump rally. Happening right across the street. Legitimately hoping students don't get hurt today.

Cf6_cQXWQAAvRq5.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
If the act of filling out taxes is what annoys people, there is plenty of support to updating that system, and a very well-funded group aimed against preventing that.

I also laugh at Cruz's plan for security reasons, and getting rid of the department that would monitor fraud is essentially a forger's dream.

I think debates are growing tired.

This national $15 an hour though, I worry about.

Bernies backtracking on the "qualified to be president" thing: it does remind me about how much backtracking Bernie may have had to do had he been under the same scrutiny for 30 years. It may be...Shock...clinton-like!

Bernies backtracking on the "qualified to be president" thing: it does remind me about how much backtracking Bernie may have had to do had he been under the same scrutiny for 30 years. It may be...Shock...clinton-like!

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)

He's a politician just like every other Presidential candidate running... he's just been better at most at letting people believe he isn't one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
So, in 10 minutes I get to walk to class past an this giant external death penis makes up for the one in my pants open carry rally in the middle of the protests that greet a standard donald trump rally. Happening right across the street. Legitimately hoping students don't get hurt today.

Cf6_cQXWQAAvRq5.jpg

I walked downtown this morning. Legitimately concerned a piano was going to fall on my head. Luckily I made it out alive.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
What do you worry about re: $15?

Nationally? I worry it will kill employment levels in areas where they couldn't come close to hitting that productivity. It would be better to know how places like NY/CA can handle that before applying it to areas with nowhere near the density.

I also would like to see if it's implemented to go hand in hand with policy to increase housing capacity, but that is going to need to happen on the state level. Otherwise I worry it will get sucked up in rents.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
I listened to a podcast with Dan Pfeiffer and Jon Favreau who had on Kal Penn. Forgot how smart he is, I hope he runs for office at some point.

It's odd Bill Simmons has a good political podcast on his network

I don't think it's that odd. His main talent seems to be attracting great talent (though I wouldn't say favreau and pfeiffer are made for radio). If there's a piece of pop culture he'll have someone to talk about it.