2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I agree that Clinton and Gingrich were (or are) better. But I do think Obama is quite good - far better than his predecessor for example. And far better than most of the current Prez candidates in either party.

In my lifetime there is no doubt that Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton are head and shoulders above the rest.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Democratic side, I'd include Mario Cuomo and Jesse Jackson on the best public speakers list.

1. Clinton

2. Cuomo

3. Jackson

4. Obama

For Republicans, Gingrich is definitely up there. Jack Kemp. Rubio might get there someday with more practice. Paul Ryan has some potential. Reagan obviously.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/border-a...article/2582401

4 more years of asshole please! best President ever....

That kind of policy change can't just be snuck in. Do you actually believe it to be true? I'll wait until someone can point out an actual policy document, or an official announcement, or even an actual journalistic piece on this before being concerned. I mean, the Examiner? Might as well expect MSNBC to do a fair treatment of a Republican presidential candidate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
That kind of policy change can't just be snuck in. Do you actually believe it to be true? I'll wait until someone can point out an actual policy document, or an official announcement, or even an actual journalistic piece on this before being concerned. I mean, the Examiner? Might as well expect MSNBC to do a fair treatment of a Republican presidential candidate.

Yeah i believe asshole governs via fiat and regulatory agencies...YES. He is a clown. A family in SF with a dead daughter says you are full of s*** like OBAMA...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Yeah i believe asshole governs via fiat and regulatory agencies...YES. He is a clown. A family in SF with a dead daughter says you are full of s*** like OBAMA...

This is why people argue for stricter gun control.

Christie and Kasich won that debate and it wasn't close.

Rubio took a lot of shots and didn't have any ability to shift on his feet and adjust his tone away from repeating the same attack on Obama over and over.

Now the biggest question is how much of a surge do the governors get...? Can both Kasich and Christie make it to South Carolina?

Donald Trump had a pretty good night and didn't do anything to lose his position in NH.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
CK has mad issues... like deeply rooted issues.

People like him crack me up because they think anyone without their jaded worldview bows down before Obama.

At least someone like Jenks, whom I usually disagree with, will give a reason for his viewpoint. You can actually have a discussion that way! Novel concept for people like CK.

Edited by farmteam

He's insulted me a few times in the past over absolute nonsense. I want to buy him a hard drink or two just to get him to calm down.

It's his prerogative to blow up over everything but what's point of raging to the point of having an aneurysm?

Back on topic; with strong debate showing from K and CC, do any of them have an opportunity to combat Cruz and Rubio?

He's insulted me a few times in the past over absolute nonsense. I want to buy him a hard drink or two just to get him to calm down.

It's his prerogative to blow up over everything but what's point of raging to the point of having an aneurysm?

Back on topic; with strong debate showing from K and CC, do any of them have an opportunity to combat Cruz and Rubio?

First of all, Bush needs to accept that he can never win simply because of his last name, decide who he likes best between Christie and Kasich and throw his support behind that guy, then the other one needs to follow suit. If you get the three of them united behind one of them, there is a fighting chance, but it's still slim.

Seems like Rubio's to lose to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
Christie and Kasich won that debate and it wasn't close.

Rubio took a lot of shots and didn't have any ability to shift on his feet and adjust his tone away from repeating the same attack on Obama over and over.

Now the biggest question is how much of a surge do the governors get...? Can both Kasich and Christie make it to South Carolina?

Donald Trump had a pretty good night and didn't do anything to lose his position in NH.

As much as I dislike Cruz, I thought he was right up there as well. Cruz comes off, by far, the most "presidential" of any of these guys.

Kasich the least douchebaggerish.

Christie has his moments, but he comes off as a big bully to me and I just don't think we need that from a foreign policy standpoint again.

ABC is a joke. How can they not have a producer or intern or somebody in the hallway during the introductions and not make Carson look like a zombie? That was terrible.

There are just horrible horrible candidates on the Republican side. Is Rubio serious about repeating the same lines four times in the debate? That's insane. He comes across as glass eyed and a nutjob, sort of. Cruz is just bizarre and abrasive to the ears needs to go away. By the end, people are going to be so sick of Trump it would be the biggest landslide in history if he runs against Hillary. Obviously I hate Hillary but her one saving grace is she has Bill hovering in the background and Bill is entertaining/cool, whatever the word you want to use.

Carson is great but doesn't come across well on TV. Christie is like having Mike Ditka as president; won't fly. What a sorry cast of characters. Out of all of them you'd have to pick Trump as most electable still but again, his supporters are too vocal in a meanish way.

But ABC ... did they try to embarrass the Rebulicans with that introduction? Was it deliberate?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 7, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
ABC is a joke. How can they not have a producer or intern or somebody in the hallway during the introductions and not make Carson look like a zombie? That was terrible.

There are just horrible horrible candidates on the Republican side. Is Rubio serious about repeating the same lines four times in the debate? That's insane. He comes across as glass eyed and a nutjob, sort of. Cruz is just bizarre and abrasive to the ears needs to go away. By the end, people are going to be so sick of Trump it would be the biggest landslide in history if he runs against Hillary. Obviously I hate Hillary but her one saving grace is she has Bill hovering in the background and Bill is entertaining/cool, whatever the word you want to use.

Carson is great but doesn't come across well on TV. Christie is like having Mike Ditka as president; won't fly. What a sorry cast of characters. Out of all of them you'd have to pick Trump as most electable still but again, his supporters are too vocal in a meanish way.

But ABC ... did they try to embarrass the Rebulicans with that introduction? Was it deliberate?

Sanders actually polls much better against Trump nationally than Hillary does fwiw.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
Rubio is still somewhere walking around muttering that Obama knows what he's doing and America will be great again.

Ironically trying to counter the fact that he's not another version of the inexperienced and unprepared Obama by saying how effective he is at destroying the country isn't the greatest argument in the world.

Nor is citing your own accomplishments when you don't actually show up for the votes but simultaneously dinging Obama for golfing when GW Bush doing the same or hanging out at his Crawford ranch was just being a man's man.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
Ironically trying to counter the fact that he's not another version of the inexperienced and unprepared Obama by saying how effective he is at destroying the country isn't the greatest argument in the world.

Nor is citing your own accomplishments when you don't actually show up for the votes but simultaneously dinging Obama for golfing when GW Bush doing the same or hanging out at his Crawford ranch was just being a man's man.

Caulfield, I respect your political posts. It's obvious you know your s***. Tell me what's going to happen in terms of both parties and then the general election.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 01:23 AM)
Caulfield, I respect your political posts. It's obvious you know your s***. Tell me what's going to happen in terms of both parties and then the general election.

Greg, I honestly have no idea.

The betting money's still on Rubio, but if he finishes third or fourth in NH, he almost has to take second in SC.

As for the Dems, Hillary still has a 70-80% chance at the nomination, but it will drag on nearly as long as 2008 and she will be even more battered and bruised than that primary season.

If I was a Republican, I'd hope to keep Rubio/Kasich or Haley as my most viable general election ticket. If Rubio continues to flounder under scrutiny, a Kasich/Christie ticket would be extremely tough to beat as well. A lot of Dems might be more accepting of Kasich than Clinton by November.

If Hillary wanted to unite the party, she would run with Liz Warren, but that's almost impossible to imagine thse two cooperating.

As far as the general election, the Democrats are a 2-3% favorite but a lot can and will change in the next nine months.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 7, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)

He did it again last night, completely repeated his canned 25 second blurb and actually realized it at the end.