Wilmer Flores

qmoe1020

I've always liked Wilmer but I presume Mets would want something pretty worthwhile for him (even with their surplus of shortstop options). Very young player who has been getting better. I see no reason why he couldn't continue to trend upward. And if you give up legit pieces, what does that mean for Anderson (unless you are dangling him for a younger outfielder option).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
That doesn't say we are interested, it is speculation that we could have interest. Nothing to see here.

Honestly our starting SS is either going to be Saladino or Alexei. I see no other realistic options, including Desmond.

Flores is the type of guy that would make sense though. Young, cost controlled, fits into the longer-term (that said you have to figure out what it means for Anderson). Flores isn't great, but I think he could profile into a slightly above average shortstop (without really having any significant impact on payroll). Real question is what it would take talent wise to give it up (and also what the Sox really think of Saladino).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
That doesn't say we are interested, it is speculation that we could have interest. Nothing to see here.

Honestly our starting SS is either going to be Saladino or Alexei. I see no other realistic options, including Desmond.

I think it says were interested actually. "See the interest from the Chicago White Sox"

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I can see the Sox having interest in Flores due to his age, having some pop and a low K-rate. Maybe an Avi for Flores swap?

Not going to read too much into it for the time being but its an interesting thought.

Why would the Mets want Avi? They already have at least 4 outfielders on their roster.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
If the Sox are seriously interested in him, that makes me think that they don't see Anderson as the SS of the future. But perhaps he could switch to be an OF or something else.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Anderson has the speed, athleticism and arm for the OF. Anderson is only 22 so its not like he wouldn't be able to adjust and if there's ever a good time for him to make the change it would be while he's still in the minors.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Why would the Mets want Avi? They already have at least 4 outfielders on their roster.

I don't know to be honest. More wishful thinking on my part.

How about the Mets send Flores and Granderson our way for Avi + ?. :D

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)

It actually says that they are interested. It says that those teams interest could prompt a deal. Garcia and Petricka for Flores too much? Too little?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
Wilmer Flores is a SS who hit 16 HR last year, is 24, arb eligible and trending upwards. You're not getting that for Avi Garcia + your garbage, the Mets open that conversation with some one like Spencer Adams.

That's fine. he's currently a bench player for them though.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
Wilmer Flores is a SS who hit 16 HR last year, is 24, arb eligible and trending upwards. You're not getting that for Avi Garcia + your garbage, the Mets open that conversation with some one like Spencer Adams.

Please. They can open the conversation however they want, but he has an OBP under .300.

he's a highly speculative player. Yes he improved, but from numbers that were terrible. nothing special defensively either. He's like Saladino in a slow improvement cycle, but with less D.

You don't trade top prospects for Wilmer Flores.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Please. They can open the conversation however they want, but he has an OBP under .300.

he's a highly speculative player. Yes he improved, but from numbers that were terrible. nothing special defensively either.

You don't trade top prospects for Wilmer Flores.

If you look at what he does, he's a contact hitter. Strikeout % is also in the low teens. Is he a huge upgrade? Probably not but he's young & provides about 1.5 WAR per year. Would also seem to be a plus fielder. Depending on a package, I see no issue with a move like this.