The Bulls biggest problem: John Paxson and Gar Forman

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
I know like Draymond Green right?

How many teams passed on Draymond Green?

You're so good at complaining about a front office that continually makes the playoffs often in a top 5 seed. Unless you can magically turn this team into the Warriors or the Cavs, you have no plan.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
How many teams passed on Draymond Green?

You're so good at complaining about a front office that continually makes the playoffs often in a top 5 seed. Unless you can magically turn this team into the Warriors or the Cavs, you have no plan.

You are a garpax apologist bro. Enjoy being mediocre.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)

I'm not your bro.

And every team is mediocre without transcendent players. The Bulls have none. Until they can draft one, this is what you get every year.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
I'm not your bro.

And every team is mediocre without transcendent players. The Bulls have none. Until they can draft one, this is what you get every year.

You can also sign big FAs or trade for stars. But Garpax doesn't do either of those things.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)

I'm a pax apologist but I could give a s*** about Gar. By all accounts he's a dick and while Pax might be fiery, he changed the entire culture in the org and while he's had his issues, Gar was the guy who ran Thibs out of town (yes, stuff eventually happened that got Pax and JR to side with Gar, but Gar is going to get the axe). He won't be around next year, I'm convinced of it. I honestly wonder if he's even around by the time we sell some assets at the deadline (and I truly think we'll see some retooling...no not tanking or anything like that, but we'll see this team try and reposition and I expect Pax to be the guy leading that process).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:00 PM)
I'm a pax apologist but I could give a s*** about Gar. By all accounts he's a dick and while Pax might be fiery, he changed the entire culture in the org and while he's had his issues, Gar was the guy who ran Thibs out of town (yes, stuff eventually happened that got Pax and JR to side with Gar, but Gar is going to get the axe). He won't be around next year, I'm convinced of it. I honestly wonder if he's even around by the time we sell some assets at the deadline (and I truly think we'll see some retooling...no not tanking or anything like that, but we'll see this team try and reposition and I expect Pax to be the guy leading that process).

Longest tenured execs in NBA: Riley (95 Heat), Kupchak (Lakers 2000), RC Buford (Spurs '02), Ainge (Boston '03), Paxson (Bulls '03). One of those names stands out like a sore thumb.

How much longer does Paxson get in Chicago? His name probably doesn't belong on the above list. He hasn't even come close to a championship. All of those other executives have won one or multiple titles.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Enjoy being spoonfed your talking points from sports talk radio.

The funny thing is, his stance is opposite of most of the score hosts now. People call in and get shut down for this opinion frequently because of the meatball nature. I'm pretty sure ozzfest is one of those callers that got yelled at by Bernstein

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:06 AM)
Longest tenured execs in NBA: Riley (95 Heat), Kupchak (Lakers 2000), RC Buford (Spurs '02), Ainge (Boston '03), Paxson (Bulls '03). One of those names stands out like a sore thumb.

How much longer does Paxson get in Chicago? His name probably doesn't belong on the above list. He hasn't even come close to a championship. All of those other executives have won one or multiple titles.

What's funny is that GarPax have done exactly what any owner wants - fill the seats, make people interested and stay out of the tax. That's what they've done. They're close to the league leaders in attendance, merchandise sales, etc.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
You can also sign big FAs or trade for stars. But Garpax doesn't do either of those things.

You fundamentally don't understand how the NBA works. No team that is any good trades for stars. They simply don't have the assets to do it. Pau to the Lakers is the rare exception and everyone agreed Memphis got screwed in the trade and something fishy was going on.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
You fundamentally don't understand how the NBA works. No team that is any good trades for stars. They simply don't have the assets to do it. Pau to the Lakers is the rare exception and everyone agreed Memphis got screwed in the trade and something fishy was going on.

Memphis did get Marc Gasol, so in the end it wasn't too terrible. At the time it was a coup though

And every time a Pau to Lakers type trade happens, the odds of it happening again decreases.

You are right. Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Shaq, James Harden, Ray Allen, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kawhi Leanord, Kevin Love, Lamarcus Aldridge. None of those guys were traded.

Edited by ozzfest

Gar/Pax has found gems in the 20s, but I still think they should go much for the same reasons they fired Thibs, and then classlessly publicly shamed him. Many don't have a problem with Thibs being gone, they say he can't get the Bulls over the hump. Apparently Gar/Pax can't provide a roster to get over the hump. It wasn't Thibs running guys into the ground that got players hurt. The same guys, Noah, Rose, Hinrich, are still coming up injured frequently. Hoiberg has decreased Butler's playing time a whopping 30 seconds a game. And if the reason, which I don't buy, that they are struggling now is they don't have Hoiberg players, that is on Gar/Pax as well. It isn't like they just happened to hired Hoiberg. Everyone knew he was coming 20 games into last season. If it takes you 2 years to acquire 1 Hoiberg player, then you need to run a different system because it isn't going to work.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Tell us more about your brilliant championship plan.

Oh wait, that's right. You don't have one.

Oh boy, I feel the heat from this burn

First step in my plan would be to get rid of Gar. Whether Paxson reassumed his role as GM or they hire a new one, it's pretty clear that Gar is a very divisive force in the front office.

Paxson and Forman essentially have had one big f***up in their tenure—Aldridge for Tyrus—which we would never recognize as such if we had just decided the draft Tyrus outright. The rest of the criticism is almost solely about things fans assume could have happened but did not happen. They had one big stroke of luck, Derrick, which incidentally turned into some of the worst luck later on. They have an incredible knack for turning chicken s*** into chicken dinner on draft day and have in general avoided big mistakes and overreactions.

I don't love the way the Thibodeau era ended, but ultimately it did end at the right time. A front office that can consistently find and retain talent like them is worth far more than a coach, especially one with the kinds of glaring flaws Thibs had/has (and I still think he's one of the most valuable coaches around). I won't pretend to know which of Gar and Paxson is most responsible for what goes right and wrong, so I won't speculate about whether one of them could go and leave us better off.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Oh boy, I feel the heat from this burn

First step in my plan would be to get rid of Gar. Whether Paxson reassumed his role as GM or they hire a new one, it's pretty clear that Gar is a very divisive force in the front office.

ziiinnnnnnnnnggggggg!

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Tell us more about your brilliant championship plan.

Oh wait, that's right. You don't have one.

It's clueless fans like yourself that support Kenny Williams running the White Sox for as long as he has. You don't know something will get better until you change it. The Bulls need to change their FO. The White Sox need to get rid of Kenny. Both teams need to tank and rebuild. Going halfway is a really sh*** plan.

In regards to my plan: it would not involve Tony Snell starting on my team.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
It's clueless fans like yourself that support Kenny Williams running the White Sox for as long as he has. You don't know something will get better until you change it. The Bulls need to change their FO. The White Sox need to get rid of Kenny. Both teams need to tank and rebuild. Going halfway is a really sh*** plan.

In regards to my plan: it would not involve Tony Snell starting on my team.

The Bulls "plan" didn't involve Snell starting either. But its clueless fans like you that leave out the fact that the reason Snell is starting is because multiple starters are out hurt and pretend otherwise to make a point that isn't even really true.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
The Bulls "plan" didn't involve Snell starting either. But its clueless fans like you that leave out the fact that the reason Snell is starting is because multiple starters are out hurt and pretend otherwise to make a point that isn't even really true.

Excuse me, I forgot to mention re-signing 35 year old Mike Dunleavy was a bad idea as well.