White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Yes, but playing those positions vs. him playing SS , decreases his value. And what if he is Hanley Ramirez in the OF?

What do you mean? Isn't real life just like the Xbox where you can take a player with a grand total of 15 innings in the outfield in a 12 year professional career and just throw him there and expect to work out swimmingly?

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of these guys won't stick at SS, but in addition to a lot of teams seemingly "set" at the position right now, 20 of the top 100 prospects in baseball are SS according to MLB.com. Anderson is rated #38 overall but is the 13th best SS prospect. Last year was the first year I really started following prospects, so is that normal or is SS just a really deep position right now?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
Sox are interested.

Do you know what level of interest? Are they wanting him just on a cheap one year deal as a stop gap to Anderson in which he rebuilds value so they can get their comp pick back next year? Or are they still interested if he is looking multi-year?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Do you know what level of interest? Are they wanting him just on a cheap one year deal as a stop gap to Anderson in which he rebuilds value so they can get their comp pick back next year? Or are they still interested if he is looking multi-year?

Provided the AAV isn't outlandish, I wouldn't be opposed to a multi-year deal. If Anderson is ready before the end of the deal, which he would most likely be, then Desmond could be a pretty attractive trade piece.

Why would the Sox have interest in Desmond? He makes zero sense considering he would cost a draft pick and would be blocking the Sox top prospect. Add to that, it would complete a total defensive downgrade of one of the worst defenses in baseball. Hes declined offensively every year since 2012 and bringing him to the AL is going to reverse that? This is the backwards thinking that keeps the Sox as a bottom rung team in its division.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Provided the AAV isn't outlandish, I wouldn't be opposed to a multi-year deal. If Anderson is ready before the end of the deal, which he would most likely be, then Desmond could be a pretty attractive trade piece.

If there is no interest in him now, what will suddenly make teams interested when they need to give up multiple assets for him?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
If there is no interest in him now, what will suddenly make teams interested when they need to give up multiple assets for him?

If you signed him on a reasonable multi year contract and he reverts back to pre 2015 form he would become very valuable.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Why would the Sox have interest in Desmond? He makes zero sense considering he would cost a draft pick and would be blocking the Sox top prospect. Add to that, it would complete a total defensive downgrade of one of the worst defenses in baseball. Hes declined offensively every year since 2012 and bringing him to the AL is going to reverse that? This is the backwards thinking that keeps the Sox as a bottom rung team in its division.

My sentiments, exactly, which I've expressed earlier. I want a ++ defensive SS. It is true that the Sox need another bat, but it shouldn't be from the SS position. If Saladino is as good of a defender as he is touted to be, he should be fine, until Anderson is ready.

Who knows, maybe by the time Anderson joins the Major League club, he will be a better candidate for CF, and Tyler will remain the SS.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
I heard "White Sox are interested in Desmond which makes a lot of sense."

Ok, now I know that quoting anything from Phil Rogers isn't a stamp of approval, but he did say on the MLB network that the Sox's were interested in Desmond and also Jimmy Rollins...just saying.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but what about signing Desmond and then trading Anderson for a cost-controlled outfielder? I like Anderson, but he's far from a lock to be a quality MLB player.

What OF fits that bill?

Ender Inciarte?

Starling Marte?

Gregory Polonco?

Joc Pederson?

Michael Conforto?

George Springer?

Preston Tucker?

Corey Dickerson?

I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but what about signing Desmond and then trading Anderson for a cost-controlled outfielder? I like Anderson, but he's far from a lock to be a quality MLB player.

I wouldn't be totally against that if they could acquire somebody damn good for him. I think Anderson will end up being a good player but he still has a way to go to fully convince me.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
What OF fits that bill?

Ender Inciarte?

Starling Marte?

Gregory Polonco?

Joc Pederson?

Michael Conforto?

George Springer?

Preston Tucker?

Corey Dickerson?

Nice list...probably not going to get Inciarte, Marte, Polanco, Conforto or Springer for him. Dickerson is the obviously candidate. I would absolutely love an Anderson/Danish for Inciarte trade though.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Nice list...probably not going to get Inciarte, Marte, Polanco, Conforto or Springer for him. Dickerson is the obviously candidate.

If Mets do get Cespedes, could make Conforto expendable and they need a SS of the future.

That makes sense to me, primarily because I don't think Anderson will be an elite defensive SS. He has speed and a good bat, but only becomes a big success if he can play SS, at a high level. If he has to move to the outfield, having acquired a true outfielder, with more power would be regarded, in hindsight, as a good move.