White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

Here's an idea. Sign Jackson to play CF, Eaton moves to LF, Melky moves to RF, sign Alvarez to DH, LaRoche to the bench as head cheerleader, Shuck and Sands are the backup OF, Saladino at SS and trade Avi for the biggest bag of used baseballs the Sox can get. :D

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd see what Jimmy Rollins is thinking for next season. Have to think he's in a position where he'd be attracted to a team like the Sox that has no obvious choice at SS but also doesn't have the bargaining power to demand a promise of a starting spot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
I'd see what Jimmy Rollins is thinking for next season. Have to think he's in a position where he'd be attracted to a team like the Sox that has no obvious choice at SS but also doesn't have the bargaining power to demand a promise of a starting spot.

I doubt he'd less than $8-10m though, which I think the White Sox expressly DON'T want to pay at SS.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I doubt he'd less than $8-10m though, which I think the White Sox expressly DON'T want to pay at SS.

I would be pretty surprised if he got that much, but I'm definitely not making the claim that he is worth that much or that the Sox are likely to give him that much. My thinking was more in the 5-6 range, though I believe FG projects 8.

Jackson and Pearce would make an interesting tandem addition. Steamer projects them to have a combined 3.3 fWAR.

Jackson R

Eaton L

Abreu R

Frazier R

Melky S

LaRoche L

Lawrie R

Avila L

Saladino R

Jackson R

Eaton L

Abreu R

Frazier R

Melky S

Pearce R

Lawrie R

Avila L

Saladino R

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
if they do that, imo i think it will be the wrong move.

the fans will really protest......

Since do you have to make a move just to please the fans, the Sox have an interesting team that figures to be both competitive and they are better on paper compared to last year.

Cespedes would be icing on the cake yeah, but he is not going to make the break the season.

If you convince me that signing him guarantees the Sox a ring, then I'll change my stance.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Since do you have to make a move just to please the fans, the Sox have an interesting team that figures to be both competitive and they are better on paper compared to last year.

Cespedes would be icing on the cake yeah, but he is not going to make the break the season.

If you convince me that signing him guarantees the Sox a ring, then I'll change my stance.

nah man, that was last yr and my ridicules prediction, i will never go down that road .... :headbang

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)

I don't know who is going to pay anywhere near that for Rollins, or who even is looking to pay any money for a shortstop. I'd assume he'll go for less than (or similar to) Alexei does in which case I wouldn't mind the Sox signing him (if they've taken care of the outfield and are not signing Desmond) to split time with Saladino. Still competent with the glove. Left handed bat. Still enough wheels to steal 12 bases last year.

Can't agree with all of the Austin Jackson talk in this thread. He'd be a very nice platoon mate to pair with a lefty but he shouldn't be given a starting job. We don't really have that need in the outfield unless they unload Avi. I suppose I like Jackson if they can't get Cespedes and sign Desmond - only give up one comp pick. I just don't see that happening.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
If they miss out on Cespedes, I think they go in with the team they have. Sometimes the best move is no move.

If that's their plan, it's terrible and obviously only a result of missing out on the big name FA. How do you explain that? "We actively tried to upgrade our OF via FA, but only now do we realize the team as constructed can compete."

There has to be an OF upgrade, no other choice

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
If that's their plan, it's terrible and obviously only a result of missing out on the big name FA. How do you explain that? "We actively tried to upgrade our OF via FA, but only now do we realize the team as constructed can compete."

There has to be an OF upgrade, no other choice

I agree. By actively looking to upgrade the outfield, the Sox have essentially told the fan base what we already know: Garcia isn't very good. If they go into the season with Garcia as the starting right fielder, and saying that the team can compete as is, what will they be telling the fans? What would they be telling Garcia?

There will be a lot of disappointment if the Sox don't make a move.

The current roster does not include a single outstanding defensive outfielder. Jackson would fill that hole, and not cost a draft pick.

Forget about Desmond, who will cost a pick. Saladino should be able to provide plus defense, at a key defensive position.

That would still leave a void at the clean up spot.

I agree with those who advocate bringing in P. Alvarez to DH, as a platoon, as he could hit between Abreu and Frazier, vs RHP.

On those few days, when the Sox face a tough left hander, Alvarez would sit, and one of the bench players could take his place.

Our 4TH outfielder, would be a candidate to platoon with Alvarez. I assume that it would be Shuck, as Avi would probably go back to AAA. It seems unlikely that they would keep Garcia on the Major League club, just to face LHP, and making him the 4TH outfielder, is not feasible, because he is not a viable defensive replacement.

The biggest problem with this scenario is that there would not be any room on the roster for La Roche, with Alvarez there. Many of us

have suggested that the Sox need to just cut their losses, even if it means eating his salary. A bigger issue with cutting La Roche is that with Alvarez, there wouldn't be any defensive back up for Abreu. If there were room on the roster for one more position player, Adam could provide that insurance. Unfortunately, there isn't. If Jose were injured, and La Roche were gone, who could play first?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
The current roster does not include a single outstanding defensive outfielder. Jackson would fill that hole, and not cost a draft pick.

Forget about Desmond, who will cost a pick. Saladino should be able to provide plus defense, at a key defensive position.

That would still leave a void at the clean up spot.

I agree with those who advocate bringing in P. Alvarez to DH, as a platoon, as he could hit between Abreu and Frazier, vs RHP.

On those few days, when the Sox face a tough left hander, Alvarez would sit, and one of the bench players could take his place.

Our 4TH outfielder, would be a candidate to platoon with Alvarez. I assume that it would be Shuck, as Avi would probably go back to AAA. It seems unlikely that they would keep Garcia on the Major League club, just to face LHP, and making him the 4TH outfielder, is not feasible, because he is not a viable defensive replacement.

The biggest problem with this scenario is that there would not be any room on the roster for La Roche, with Alvarez there. Many of us

have suggested that the Sox need to just cut their losses, even if it means eating his salary. A bigger issue with cutting La Roche is that with Alvarez, there wouldn't be any defensive back up for Abreu. If there were room on the roster for one more position player, Adam could provide that insurance. Unfortunately, there isn't. If Jose were injured, and La Roche were gone, who could play first?

1- Eaton LF

2- Melky RF

3- Abreu 1B

4- Frazier 3B

5- Alvarez DH

6- Lawrie 2B

7- Avil/Navarro C

8- Jackson CF

9- Saladino SS

Bench: Sanchez IF, LaRoche 1B, Avila/Navarro C, Shuck OF and Sands if the Sox go with a five man bench.

The Sox either send Avi to AAA or trade him for another teams bat boy but Jackson/Alvarez/LaRoche on the team could work.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
The Sox should consider claiming the OF the Rockies just waived.

Not a very good hitter. Good athlete. No where near the player Trayce was/is. Shuck much better, also.

I was hoping that the Sox would be interested in Austin Jackson. I'd also be okay with seeing what it'd take to get Ethier or Carlos Gomez. I'm not a fan of signing Fowler because I want to keep that draft pick but I'd live with it because the team would be better.

I do not want the guy. Draft pick, not a great defender but look at the biggest issue: walks and Ks. Our team's biggest weakness next to defense. He doesn't walk and he has pushed 200 K's multiple times in his career.

So far from the answer and not worth the money. I'd rather Fowler.

I really am not interested in any of the FA that are left after Cespedes. I would love to get one of the Colorado guys but like we have said before there isnt anything left to trade unless you want nothing left in an already weak farm system.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
I really am not interested in any of the FA that are left after Cespedes. I would love to get one of the Colorado guys but like we have said before there isnt anything left to trade unless you want nothing left in an already weak farm system.

It will not break the bank to trade for a Colorado OF at all. Those are guys who are solid/unspectacular. Even CarGo isnt some prime property.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
It will not break the bank to trade for a Colorado OF at all. Those are guys who are solid/unspectacular. Even CarGo isnt some prime property.

I highly doubt Blackmon will be cheap.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)

There's a reason why they haven't been moved. Colorado wants a lot for these guys, even with Parra in the fold it seems.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
So do they add Desmond on a 1 year deal at SS or go longer term & try to stick him out in the OF?

If you are going to sign him for a year, why not just have brought Alexei back for $4 million?

I did like the idea of bringing him in earlier this year, but I also thought he could probably play 3B. That is covered. Hopefully, Tim Anderson shows us SS is covered in 2017. I just don't know why you give up a pick and pay more money for Desmond when you had a guy who you could have brought back for peanuts.

Edited by Dick Allen