2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
I still can't believe he's there after he killed that camera kid.

He didn't kill him but it was a very sad story. I know the mother of Declan. I do blame Kelly, of course I do. But I am not mean enough to believe he thought the kid had a 50/50 chance of going down with the tower and dying. Of course Kelly didn't kill the kid, but his judgment was SO POOR yes he should have been fired on the spot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
Les Miles coming?

He should be. ADs make it too difficult on themselves. When you get an opening, you go get the guy IMMEDIATELY who was let go by another school and has experience in winning. You don't pull a Kansas and when a good coach like Mangino is axed you hire Turner Gill from a small school. Then you replace Gill with Charlie Weis who was in the NFL at the time. What you do is when u need a coach like Purdue does, you go hire Les Miles quickly and call it a day. Or Mack Brown if he wanted to coach.

When Texas fires Strong, you go get Strong. If Stoops ever got axed, you go immediately gobble up Stoops. It's not difficult.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
Refs missed big PI so OSU loses. Wellness check for Rock.

lol I'm good. I predicted 2-3 losses so one of the games on the road where the opposition is coming off a bye was going to be a loss. Brutal officiating but even worse special teams. It was bound to happen to the youngest team in the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Ten to start hosting Friday Night football games. As an Illinois fan, I'm all for it. Take all the extra exposure they can get, no one is gonna watch them on Saturdays.

2017 Schedule:

Fri., Sept. 1 Washington at Rutgers

Fri., Sept. 1 Utah State at Wisconsin

Fri., Sept. 8 Ohio at Purdue

Fri., Sept. 29 Nebraska at Illinois

Fri., Oct. 13 Northwestern at Maryland

Fri., Oct. 27 Michigan State at Northwestern

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Big Ten to start hosting Friday Night football games. As an Illinois fan, I'm all for it. Take all the extra exposure they can get, no one is gonna watch them on Saturdays.

2017 Schedule:

Fri., Sept. 1 Washington at Rutgers

Fri., Sept. 1 Utah State at Wisconsin

Fri., Sept. 8 Ohio at Purdue

Fri., Sept. 29 Nebraska at Illinois

Fri., Oct. 13 Northwestern at Maryland

Fri., Oct. 27 Michigan State at Northwestern

Its f***ing terrible and shouldnt be allowed. Why have a game when zero high school recruits can attend? Your staff can also not attend HS games to recruit. Its a crap money grab and takes away from HS football revenue as well which is bulls***.

Meh. ACC has been doing it for like 20 years. It's one game a year except for NW. I agree with Stuart Mandel - no one is watching a game featuring Northwestern on Saturday at 3:30pm when it's up against 20 other games. People will watch the game friday because there is nothing else on. Exposure nationally will be good, even if recruiting takes a hit for one week (the impact of which is minimal IMO).

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Meh. ACC has been doing it for like 20 years. It's one game a year except for NW. I agree with Stuart Mandel - no one is watching a game featuring Northwestern on Saturday at 3:30pm when it's up against 20 other games. People will watch the game friday because there is nothing else on. Exposure nationally will be good, even if recruiting takes a hit for one week (the impact of which is minimal IMO).

I'm sure there are positives for schools that dont recruit or dont want opposing fans to take over their stadiums. It still has a negative impact on local high school football as well as the student athletes that would like to take official or unofficial visits, especially if its their bye week. It also has a negative impact on the local economy of many of the hosting teams as fans may not show up in droves and sure as hell wont spend as many days in town.

It's a bad idea, and I hope the big boys oppose it forever.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
I'm more upset that they cancelled the UI-NW series at Soldier Field. Not sure why they did that unless it was costing too much money.

They didn't want to give up a home conference game. I believe the plan is to host one of the bigger out of conference games there.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
They didn't want to give up a home conference game. I believe the plan is to host one of the bigger out of conference games there.

Later in the season is when you get a lot of those official visits and you want kids to be able to tour the facilities and campus, be able to meet with academic staff and advisors, not check out a stadium located nowhere close to the school. I totally get it.

So 2x this year Michigan has gotten the refs to call a penalty for roughing the snapper on a punt. I actually can't recall seeing it any other game I've watched. Seems like the snapper purposefully keeps his head down so it looks bad.

Edited by Soxbadger