2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
Agreed OSU is in. I think the only way WI gets in is if Clemson or Washington loses. If they both win the top 4 teams from this week will remain (maybe a bit off shuffling 2-4). I don't for the life of me see how they can put a 10-2 MI team who came in 3rd in their own division, has lost 2 out of the last 3, one of which was to an unranked IA team that WI beat, ahead of WI at 10-2 whose losses were both to top 5 teams by a combined 14 points and is playing for the conference title. I get that MI beat WI but it was at home, by 7 points, and with WI having key injuries and starting a freshman QB in his second career start. If WI wins and doesn't jump ahead of MI, regardless of whether they make the playoffs, then this whole playoff thing is a total sham and apparently conference titles mean nothing.

I think if Wisconsin beats PSU convincingly, and UW or Clemson loses, they are in.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
Its all relative. At the time Michigan lost to Iowa, Iowa was un-ranked.

I really think that the only chance the Big10 has is if Washington or Clemson lose. I think that the Big10 teams end up canceling each other out.

I don't buy that argument at all. I do agree with you that for a second team to get in, Washington or Clemson has to lose. Personally, I don't think Clemson should be in.

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
It sounds like he pressured players to play through injuries

So he's Beckman with a little better football acumen. He had just signed a 6 year extension a year ago. I wonder if he will be like Beckman and not get paid.

Supposedly he had $11 million left on his contract and he took $542,000 to go away. He must have done something bad.

Edited by Dick Allen

I coach HS football and don't have a ton of contacts but I heard this yesterday from some guys: Les Miles made a bunch of demands at Purdue that they weren't willing or able to do and their focus has shifted to PJ Fleck. Fleck is interested in the Purdue job but is holding out for a better offer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
I coach HS football and don't have a ton of contacts but I heard this yesterday from some guys: Les Miles made a bunch of demands at Purdue that they weren't willing or able to do and their focus has shifted to PJ Fleck. Fleck is interested in the Purdue job but is holding out for a better offer.

He's in contention for Oregon, thats definitely a better offer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)

Fleck straight up hasn't answered Purdues (or anyones) calls. He will after tonight though. Purdue was getting p**** with him because they wanted it all wrapped up early this week. Don't know if they'll wait for him to finish or move on now.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
It sounds likePurdue will probably announce Brohm on Monday as the new head coach. I'm ok with them hiring Brohm. It didn't seem like Fleck wanted to come at all and Miles was always a huge longshot.

Any coach worth his salt is going to demand more money for assistants and HUGE upgrades to the facilities which are some of the worst in the conference. Purdue doesnt seem to have any interest in doing any of that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Any coach worth his salt is going to demand more money for assistants and HUGE upgrades to the facilities which are some of the worst in the conference. Purdue doesnt seem to have any interest in doing any of that.

Purdue announced a plan last year to put in 65 million in renovations for the football facilities

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2015/12/20/1...he-21st-century

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Purdue announced a plan last year to put in 65 million in renovations for the football facilities

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2015/12/20/1...he-21st-century

At least 2-3 years away if ever, and they still underpay and understaff. Thats why someone like Miles or Fleck arent coming

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
At least 2-3 years away if ever, and they still underpay and understaff. Thats why someone like Miles or Fleck arent coming

The first sign of success, at least Fleck would bolt West Lafayette anyways. Miles is getting older, so he might have hung around.