2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Lovie the football coach would be a great hire. But how well could he recruit? That would be my concern, not that Illinois kills it on the recruiting trail now.

Bingo. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
Bingo. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football.

"Hi. I'm Lovie Smith. I have coached in two Super Bowls and I have coached some of the best defensive players in the last decade. I think you have what it takes to be an NFL linebacker. Come to Illinois and let's do something special," he said, without any emotions.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
He is actually a horrendous football coach. His OC last season is now a HC and the Bucs were still awful

John Fox must be a horrendous football coach as well since his OC last season is now a HC and the Bears were still awful.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
"Hi. I'm Lovie Smith. I have coached in two Super Bowls and I have coached some of the best defensive players in the last decade. I think you have what it takes to be an NFL linebacker. Come to Illinois and let's do something special," he said, without any emotions.

Yeah, he has an extremely easy sales pitch to sell. He just needs to hire a couple young coaches to sell it for him.

Lol yes. That's all recruiting is. Tell me more.

I think it's a step in a respectable direction for Illinois but I don't expect much in the near future. It's going to be hard to attract good assistants at this point and they've never really paid them up to par anyway. He definitely could have done worse though.

You need a top notch recruiting coordinator asap. Lovie has never recruited in college the way it is today. A head coach needs to be the closer and everyone else needs to do the heavy lifting.

Yep. Going to be easy for him as long as he's motivated. Don't see why he won't be.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Lovie the football coach would be a great hire. But how well could he recruit? That would be my concern, not that Illinois kills it on the recruiting trail now.

I think he'd do good. Players loved playing for him. s***, bring Urlacher as Linebackers coach just to get a pipeline going. This would be a hell of a hire though and way out of left field.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
I think he'd do good. Players loved playing for him. s***, bring Urlacher as Linebackers coach just to get a pipeline going. This would be a hell of a hire though and way out of left field.

The head coach probably takes up less than 10 percent of the time recruiting a class.

Urlacher would be an amazing hook and probably good in the living room.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
The head coach probably takes up less than 10 percent of the time recruiting a class.

Urlacher would be an amazing hook and probably good in the living room.

Especially with that new hair

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
Especially with that new hair

lol true

If I was Lovie I'd immediately scour Illinois high school football for a top head coach and hire him to staff immediately. Help get some inroads in your own back yard.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
I think it's a step in a respectable direction for Illinois but I don't expect much in the near future. It's going to be hard to attract good assistants at this point and they've never really paid them up to par anyway. He definitely could have done worse though.

You need a top notch recruiting coordinator asap. Lovie has never recruited in college the way it is today. A head coach needs to be the closer and everyone else needs to do the heavy lifting.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier, but didn't do a good job of it.

As for paying the assistants, one would hope that a hire with his kind of name recognition would come with spending like a big boy program for once.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
This is the point I was trying to make earlier, but didn't do a good job of it.

As for paying the assistants, one would hope that a hire with his kind of name recognition would come with spending like a big boy program for once.

The support staff is extemely important in college football and that includes things like strength, diet and nutrition and recruiting staffs. Lovie obviously needs a great OC as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
So,was,Harbaugh's. His DL coach became his replacement. He must be awful. All I know is Illinois can't be all that attractive of a job for most established coaches,. If they get a guy who went to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as his QB, they did pretty well. I am no fan of Illinois football, but to me, assuming he isn't just using this as a stepping stone, it would be a great hire.

What are you talking about? I said Lovie isn't a good coach. SoxPride said he just needs a good OC. Well, he had a good one last season in Tampa and his record was still bad. He was average to bad in the NFL. Yeah, anyone would be an upgrade over Cubit.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
Lol yes. That's all recruiting is. Tell me more.

It's like we all have forgotten what Lovie Smith was like here. He's

• Well connected
  • a winner at the NFL level
  • A player's coach (The Bears players were furious he was let go)

But I should have known you would just miss the point anyway.

Plus, this is huge for the school from an Athletic status standpoint.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
What are you talking about? I said Lovie isn't a good coach. SoxPride said he just needs a good OC. Well, he had a good one last season in Tampa and his record was still bad. He was average to bad in the NFL. Yeah, anyone would be an upgrade over Cubit.

Average to bad also describes every single QB who ever played for him the NFL.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 07:59 PM)
It's like we all have forgotten what Lovie Smith was like here. He's

• Well connected
  • a winner at the NFL level
  • A player's coach (The Bears players were furious he was let go)

But I should have known you would just miss the point anyway.

The point was recruiting and you still haven't hit on one thing that makes it "easy" for him. He hasn't coached in the college ranks in 21 years and has never run a program. Cell phone didn't even exist the last time he was out there recruiting. Not to mention the support staff is THE most important factor in recruiting.

But I should have expected you to know nothing about getting top classes in college football today.

"You coached the Bears when I was 7 years old, of course I'll commit". Lol.

Edited by RockRaines

Very interested to see what Lovie would be getting paid. His salary in the pros was $5 million, that would leave him 3rd in the B1G behind Harbaugh and Meyer. No way Illinois pays him that much, but how much of a pay cut would he take?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Very interested to see what Lovie would be getting paid. His salary in the pros was $5 million, that would leave him 3rd in the B1G behind Harbaugh and Meyer. No way Illinois pays him that much, but how much of a pay cut would he take?

Maybe they decided to buck up and he's getting that and much more for his staff. That would be a way to turn a programs around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
The point was recruiting and you still haven't hit on one thing that makes it "easy" for him. He hasn't coached in the college ranks in 21 years and has never run a program. Cell phone didn't even exist the last time he was out there recruiting. Not to mention the support staff is THE most important factor in recruiting.

But I should have expected you to know nothing about getting top classes in college football today.

"You coached the Bears when I was 7 years old, of course I'll commit". Lol.

He has such an easy job relative to any other Illinois coach and he'll likely be a top ranked recruiter in the Big Ten, particularly on defense. Come on man, Urlacher, Briggs, Tilman. These are great connections to have and I don't care if they were 7 or 8, the Bears are a religion in Chicago, the number one recruiting bed in the mid west and everyone knows it. Well, apparently except you. Maybe you should google it. Or better yet, ask Dan Bernstein for more witty responses with no argumentative content.

Edited by AustinIllini