2016 Recruiting Thread

bmags

Pretty good day for Illini recruiting (relatively). Just landed LB Dele Harding who may be the best player in the class and could start from day 1. The news was that he was going to Rutgers so that's a nice surprise to get him. Also got Eddy Fish to flip his commit from Boston College to Illinois. I guess if there's a silver lining to this bad class, it's that Illinois has an oppurtunity to sign a decent offensive line class for the second year in a row. That seemed like a rarity even when they were recruiting well.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Pretty good day for Illini recruiting (relatively). Just landed LB Dele Harding who may be the best player in the class and could start from day 1. The news was that he was going to Rutgers so that's a nice surprise to get him. Also got Eddy Fish to flip his commit from Boston College to Illinois. I guess if there's a silver lining to this bad class, it's that Illinois has an oppurtunity to sign a decent offensive line class for the second year in a row. That seemed like a rarity even when they were recruiting well.

When Harding is your headliner your class is beyond garbage. And I'm more concerned about dline recruiting than oline since we lose 5 seniors after next year and besides the seniors we have maybe 2 kids in the program that are dlinemen that have any talent. We also have no good dlinemen committed right now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
All true.

We basically have Milan and Odenigbo who are (potentially) real football players on the dline and neither of them has even proven anything. Maybe McGrew can be a 3rd down pass rusher but I'm super optimistic there. That is why I've consistently said that even if we are solid next year because of starting a ton of seniors we are royally f***ed in 2017 which makes this Cubit thing and punting on 2 straight recruiting classes extra infuriating.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)

Add 2 more.

Jeremy Werner ‏@JWernerScout 34m34 minutes ago

NEW #ILLINI COMMIT: Three-star Maryland DE Izon Pulley

Quick story, scouting report, video

Jeremy Werner ‏@JWernerScout 8m8 minutes ago

Jeremy Werner Retweeted

And another one. Florida safety Harvey Clayton Jr. commits to #illini

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:58 PM)
Onwenu stays Michigan after some thought he was flipping to Michigan State. Makes me feel a little better about LaVert Hill but would be shocked if he went Blue.

Hill is IN.

Why do you guys call it going Blue? Isnt your main color Maize?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
Hill is IN.

Why do you guys call it going Blue? Isnt your main color Maize?

I honestly just typed "Going Blue" because it was shorter. Didn't know it was a thing.

You're more confident than me on Hill but I'm feeling more comfortable on Gary with unbiased guys predicting Michigan for him. Only guys predicting Clemson are their reporters.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
I honestly just typed "Going Blue" because it was shorter. Didn't know it was a thing.

You're more confident than me on Hill but I'm feeling more comfortable on Gary with unbiased guys predicting Michigan for him. Only guys predicting Clemson are their reporters.

Farrell tried to lean Clemson, but its for clicks. Clemson didnt hire Gary's HS coach, no matter how much they think their "brand" is good.

Sucks that Michigan isnt telling you guys s*** until that little show thing. We are about done and its only 8:30.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Farrell tried to lean Clemson, but its for clicks. Clemson didnt hire Gary's HS coach, no matter how much they think their "brand" is good.

Sucks that Michigan isnt telling you guys s*** until that little show thing. We are about done and its only 8:30.

Anything with Ric Flair isnt a little show! I see on Twitter as guys sign so the party isn't a big deal to me. Supposedly there is some silent commit. No idea who that would be or how big it is. Unless that's Gary.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Anything with Ric Flair isnt a little show! I see on Twitter as guys sign so the party isn't a big deal to me. Supposedly there is some silent commit. No idea who that would be or how big it is. Unless that's Gary.

Probably Gary, or that kicker. I like being done before noon, the last min decisions are the worst.

On HawkeyeReport.com publisher Tom Kakert’s message boards, cynical anger about the Hawkeyes’ recruiting has been replaced by, well, nothing much at all.

According to Rivals’ rankings, Iowa’s 2015 class averaged 2.71 stars per player. The 2016 class is just slightly better, at 2.83. Yet there seems to be a renewed confidence in the coaching staff after Iowa’s 12-0 regular season and first Rose Bowl appearance in 25 years.

That wasn’t the case in the summer, when Iowa nabbed most of its expected class of 25 recruits in a commitment binge.

“The criticisms of this class in July and August are no longer being made in January and February,” Kakert said. “That’s in large part because of 12-0.”

Overall, recruiting websites are ranking Iowa's class around 40th nationally and seventh or eighth in the Big Ten Conference. That's an upgrade from the Class of 2015. But as we've learned over the last 17 years, Iowa under Kirk Ferentz doesn't take its recruiting lead from star ratings.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/co...imore/79703972/

Fwiw, the last time Iowa had a bunch of 4 and some 5 star guys from Chicagoland, it turned out to be a complete disaster. The only one who turned out halfway decent was TE Anthony Moeaki. Most of the guys in this class were already committed before Iowa got off to that 12-0 start. If they can continue to build on it again this year, they'll definitely be in some a few more 4 and 5 star type players, but it has never been Ferentz's style.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
LB Jonathan Jones was not Amaized enough by Harbaugh to choose Michigan over Notre Dame.

That's adorable.

Rumor Gary was seen with a Clemson shirt on at ESPN. No clue if that is BS.

Edited by Brian