2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
So, I'd still say give Fox more time next year, but you're starting to see the Fox Hunters circling.

It is no secret the media does not like John Fox, so when things turn (and they are pretty bad), they are going to bounce on him. To me, Fox has proven that he can coach, so I'm less concerned about that and more concerned about finding a lot of talent. I also don't like the message we send if we can a guy like Fox so quickly (I don't think that will win us any favors / help us long-term in finding the next candidate). If Fox was coming off of the Lovie era, I'd be more open to going quicker, but given all the recent turnover, you need to have some stability, and we ditch another coach in two years and what is next, we are turning another GM after next year. That is not a way to win and really quickly we could turn into the Browns and where the Raiders were for a long long time (until the Raiders finally developed a trust and actually gave guys a chance to show whether their system / plans worked).

Heck, even look at the Cowboys. Garrett was fired by the media many times, but he's clearly not some turd of a coach. Jones was patient and it seems to largely be working out fine.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
The thing about coaching is...I don't feel like bears are more talented than Jags. At all. I dont' actually think there is a team aside from Browns we are more talented than.

I think our offense has some legitimate talent on it, but the defense not so much. We are giving lots of young guys chances. I do think if we start getting embarrassed as the season goes on, my opinion on a year 3 might change, but right now, I'm still in the let this thing run its course and then we better start to see some improvement late this year and next year we definitely better start to see the arrow pointing up (probably with exception to QB which we should just assume we will be bad with a rookie QB, but we should see everything else starting to come together).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
The Bears won the turnover battle +2, had more yardage than JAX, and more first downs, and managed to lose. That isn't easy to do in the NFL.

Well, when you can't get touchdowns in the red zone and you consistently sputter close to field goal range, it is pretty easy to loose those types of games. We also rarely have much of a pass rush.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Because of their regression, the Bears are in a good position to acquire a franchise QB, but even assuming they don't blow the pick, I don't trust the Fox regime with a young QB.

I am OK with bringing in a rookie QB into a fairly simple offense to grow into. I mean you can always add to it, or you can fire Fox and bring in a next level offensive guy. It seems like the worst thing you can do to a rookie is try too much versus not enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
I am OK with bringing in a rookie QB into a fairly simple offense to grow into. I mean you can always add to it, or you can fire Fox and bring in a next level offensive guy. It seems like the worst thing you can do to a rookie is try too much versus not enough.

I am also confident that Bears fans will be patient and objective with a new QB, not at all have unrealistic expectations, won't divide into factions of people who ignore things they don't like one way or another, and the next guy won't benefit from a "not being Jay Cutler" honeymoon that will abruptly end 2/3 of the way through his rookie season.

I kinda believe if you put Jordan Howard behind that line you would see only marginally less production than EE.

But man, has to feel good to be cowboys. In one draft you remade your offense (future QB and future RB), and have a huge possible defensive stud coming next year.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
I am also confident that Bears fans will be patient and objective with a new QB, not at all have unrealistic expectations, won't divide into factions of people who ignore things they don't like one way or another, and the next guy won't benefit from a "not being Jay Cutler" honeymoon that will abruptly end 2/3 of the way through his rookie season.

Bears and Cubs fans are in a contest for the biggest meatballs for sure. But that doesn't change what should be done.

Interesting stat (courtesy of Dan Patrick), but the last three rookie QB's to win in Lambeau are:

Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan, and Cade McNown

Didn't expect to hear Cade's name mentioned with anything good. Believe this might have been the "Walter Payton" game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
Interesting stat (courtesy of Dan Patrick), but the last three rookie QB's to win in Lambeau are:

Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan, and Cade McNown

Didn't expect to hear Cade's name mentioned with anything good. Believe this might have been the "Walter Payton" game.

You are correct.

Again, I will credit Loggains for getting back on track. I was scared after first two games that he was unable to do what Gase had, which was sustain long drives (even if unscoring) to keep defense off field and limit total opportunities for opposing offense. Yesterday was THAT times ten, and until we get a more opportunistic defense, I think it's a great strategy.

Re: mcnown. That mcnown-marcus robinson year was really fun. One of the losing seasons you are fine with because it seemed like things were trending.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
I kinda believe if you put Jordan Howard behind that line you would see only marginally less production than EE.

Meh.. I've seen Zeke hit that second stage and he's gone with his speed. Howard has similar vision and ability to break tackles, but he doesn't have Elliott's game breaking speed. That's what separates him (along with alot of RBs in the league).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
It is no secret the media does not like John Fox, so when things turn (and they are pretty bad), they are going to bounce on him. To me, Fox has proven that he can coach, so I'm less concerned about that and more concerned about finding a lot of talent. I also don't like the message we send if we can a guy like Fox so quickly (I don't think that will win us any favors / help us long-term in finding the next candidate). If Fox was coming off of the Lovie era, I'd be more open to going quicker, but given all the recent turnover, you need to have some stability, and we ditch another coach in two years and what is next, we are turning another GM after next year. That is not a way to win and really quickly we could turn into the Browns and where the Raiders were for a long long time (until the Raiders finally developed a trust and actually gave guys a chance to show whether their system / plans worked).

Heck, even look at the Cowboys. Garrett was fired by the media many times, but he's clearly not some turd of a coach. Jones was patient and it seems to largely be working out fine.

I don't like how conservative Fox is, but I agree that he seems to get a bad rap. What he and Fangio have done with this defense is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Winning NFL football games is an incredibly fickle thing. I really don't think most of us have the capacity to understand just how thin the margin is between being really good and being really bad. You can see this in your Cowboys example, and you can also see it with teams like the Eagles and hell, even the Bills. I am overall pretty pleased with the Fox regime.

What I want to see is what Pace can do in another few years to rebuild the talent on this team, most importantly, the huge decision of who our next quarterback will be.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
Meh.. I've seen Zeke hit that second stage and he's gone with his speed. Howard has similar vision and ability to break tackles, but he doesn't have Elliott's game breaking speed. That's what separates him (along with alot of RBs in the league).

I definitely think there are tiers of RBs, I just don't think the tiers matter that much to winning once you get to that basic level of RB competence.

:lol:

Dan Long @DLoExpress

Alshon Jeffery on what the Bears need to do to turn yards into points: "Capitalize in the red zone and s***"

5:31 PM - 9 Oct 2016

Adam Hoge @AdamHoge

Alshon Jeffery: “We gotta score fuc**** touchdowns. That’s it. Touchdowns win games. s***. You see what three points get us.” #Bears

4:11 PM - 16 Oct 2016

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
:lol:

Dan Long @DLoExpress

Alshon Jeffery on what the Bears need to do to turn yards into points: "Capitalize in the red zone and s***"

5:31 PM - 9 Oct 2016

Adam Hoge @AdamHoge

Alshon Jeffery: “We gotta score fuc**** touchdowns. That’s it. Touchdowns win games. s***. You see what three points get us.” #Bears

4:11 PM - 16 Oct 2016

They're dead last in points per game (by a comfortable margin) but thank God Hoyer has 4 straight 300-yard games and hasn't thrown any picks!

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
They're dead last in points per game (by a comfortable margin) but thank God Hoyer has 4 straight 300-yard games and hasn't thrown any picks!

I think they threw up a stat during the game that said we were second in yard per play in the NFL. Interesting how good we are on a per play basis yet how ineffective we are at scoring. I don't think it is fair to put it all on Hoyer and do think some of it comes down to making plays in the redzone and getting better playcalls in the red zone. That said, there probably is a part on Hoyer as well as the arm strength / play making becomes more critical when you are in the red zone and the field is shortened. Defenses have less area to cover and the already small windows get smaller.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Again, I will credit Loggains for getting back on track. I was scared after first two games that he was unable to do what Gase had, which was sustain long drives (even if unscoring) to keep defense off field and limit total opportunities for opposing offense. Yesterday was THAT times ten, and until we get a more opportunistic defense, I think it's a great strategy.

Re: mcnown. That mcnown-marcus robinson year was really fun. One of the losing seasons you are fine with because it seemed like things were trending.

Back on track? They've scored the fewest points in the league and he has Hoyer averaging 45+ passing attempts per game. He should have been fired today.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Back on track? They've scored the fewest points in the league and he has Hoyer averaging 45+ passing attempts per game. He should have been fired today.

He has a backup QB, is on their third string rb, lost his #2 WR. The bears talent on offense is nonexistent, but are able to execute a similar game plan to Gase in that it can now waste time. You seem to occupy this weird zone where it's everyones fault and no ones fault.

It was hot takes when we correctly pointed out after preseason chiefs game that this team had no talent. It was hot takes after game one. Now that their rookie OC is starting to put things together with this group of terrible, he should be fired. OK.