2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
Only problem is that Cleveland is worse and still needs a QB. So they will likely have the first shot at the best QB.

... its the Browns. I'm sure they'll find a reason to screw up somehow. And if they pick Watson, Kizer is a nice consolation prize. (Hell, he's projected to go #1 on some mock drafts now currently) I'd gladly follow the Raiders model and draft our version of Khalil Mack in the first round and our version of Derek Carr the second round.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 07:22 AM)
Marc Trestman fired by the Ravens as OC.

Talking what if's with my buddy, what if the Bears had hired Arians instead of Trestman? And drafted Mercilus instead of McClellin? Sigh...

I wanted Arians badly.

I think if Emery hires Arians instead of Trestman, he is quite likely still our GM.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
Agreed. That's a game they likely win with Cutler. If the Bears are going to actively tank Hoyer needs to start from here on out.

Hah, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but I got quite a kick out of it. :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
They had 500 yards of offense

They also scored 23 points against a team that was giving up over 31 a game and was coming off a London trip.

To think the offense and hoyer played well is an extremely shallow way of looking at the game. They looked fine though and the play calling seemed better though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
They also had a missed field goal and numerous trips to the end zone. Show me a team that has 500 total yards every game and I'd bet you'll see the best scoring offense in the league.

The numerous trips to the red zone that resulted in field goal attempts is the problem...

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
They also had a missed field goal and numerous trips to the end zone. Show me a team that has 500 total yards every game and I'd bet you'll see the best scoring offense in the league.

Yeah that is the difference between having Hoyer and Cutler behind center. Cutler has the tools to finish drives, Hoyer doesn't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Yeah that is the difference between having Hoyer and Cutler behind center. Cutler has the tools to finish drives, Hoyer doesn't.

Yup. This is why guys like McCown and Hoyer are career backups while Jay is a starter and would start for other teams. This is 100% correct.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)

It was so brutal to watch some of those ridiculous games where a journeyman would throw for 280 yards and the Bears would lose.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
So then ... the problem isn't Loggains, it's Hoyer. Clearly bears offense has improved, along with Loggains play calling. He did get a wide open Jeffery that was missed.

It's both. Loggains ran the ball 17 times. He let Brian Hoyer throw on 70% of their offensive plays. It's really dumb.

For those of you who say that is why Cutler is a starter or way better. I'd just throw the flipside that Cutler hasn't exactly led any dynamic offenses during his time with the Bears (despite having quite a bit of talent). At this point, Jay is what he is and he isn't a guy who leads win, but I still believe you can win with him. He clearly is not going to be with the franchise next year and I don't think that is a bad thing (as we need to turn the page).

What we can't have happen is people to have some false reality that Hoyer is anything more then a good guy to have around to help groom whomever the young QB is (and I actually think Hoyer would be a pretty solid mentor).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
For those of you who say that is why Cutler is a starter or way better. I'd just throw the flipside that Cutler hasn't exactly led any dynamic offenses during his time with the Bears (despite having quite a bit of talent). At this point, Jay is what he is and he isn't a guy who leads win, but I still believe you can win with him. He clearly is not going to be with the franchise next year and I don't think that is a bad thing (as we need to turn the page).

What we can't have happen is people to have some false reality that Hoyer is anything more then a good guy to have around to help groom whomever the young QB is (and I actually think Hoyer would be a pretty solid mentor).

His turnovers are the great equalizer. He did a good job of cutting down last year.

Most of my friends like Hoyer as the bridge guy, be a cheap quarterback that doesn't kill you but also doesn't really win you games until you can draft and develop the replacement. I agree with them at this point, especially with where this team is at, it's not worth keep Cutler around imo.