2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
No they haven't. They are usually noodle armed guys though. Mahomes is way different. He's raw and will need to sit but he has the biggest arm in the class.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Mariota (and Newton in fact) turned out alright. I'm sceptical about the kid reading certain plays, but his arm is the goods. Probably the strongest in the whole draft.

Thanks for the insight. I just see Texas Tech QBs throw for 400 yards every game, so I just assume they are all the same

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Have any recent Texas Tech quarterbacks had success in the NFL? A bit cautions about some of these "scheme" QBs in college, where anyone steps in and dominates.

The whole college game is like that really, it's hard to scout QBs because what they do in college is almost always nothing like what they'll do in the pros

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
"The Bears should've drafted Prescott" is such a lazy, useless statement that conveys no actual constructive thought.

I don't know. I think a lot of us thought when they traded up in the 4th to land Kwiatkowski it was going to be Dak. And a lot of the "internet helium" picks have turned out to be pretty good players.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't know. I think a lot of us thought when they traded up in the 4th to land Kwiatkowski it was going to be Dak. And a lot of the "internet helium" picks have turned out to be pretty good players.

I'm not saying it's an incorrect assessment, I'm saying it's verbally jacking off.

Why is Eric Dickerson Mr. LA Ram now? He played there for 4 years 3 games, whining about money the last 2 years 3 games, eventually whining his way to a new team, even missing a couple of games with a hold out. Got traded. When he returned as the opposition the fans threw fake money at him. Now he acts like he is the Rams biggest booster. I guess he just wants people to think he is important again.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
"The Bears should've drafted Prescott" is such a lazy, useless statement that conveys no actual constructive thought.

The fact is he has an all world running back and phenomenal offensive line...as well as an offensive minded head coach have aided him.

You put him on the Bears now and he is David Fales.

Teams seem to be figuring him out a little as well.

The issue though is that the Bears have not even tried to develop a QB while at the same time not really liking Cutler either.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm not saying it's an incorrect assessment, I'm saying it's verbally jacking off.

None of us know what Dak would look like with the Bears either. While I'm completely unimpressed with our offense, there are plenty of things to look at and kind of go, when you look at what we have on paper, there are reasons to be encouraged with Loggains. Whether it is the development of Howard or just the fact that we haven't been embarassed despite all the changes at the QB position and wideout (by and large I refer to this). Yes, our offense has not been very good from a PPG perspective, etc, but I think if we told people about all the various injuries and who we would have starting at QB / Wideout / etc, we'd be thinking our offense would be even worse.

What sucks the most is, it almost becomes a wasted year in the sense of evaluating Loggains and his long-term success profile because you don't know how to adequately baseline him. At least from an outside view it is hard.

Cowboys had that line last year. They also had a great rush attack. And their qb play was so bad that they finished with a worse record than the bears in spite of that.

Dak has help, most good QBs do, but what he is doing as a rookie is fantastic, and with a 5th round pick no less.

SO no, Prescott on the bears is not David Fales, we have last year as a bench mark guys.

I really don't think the Cowboys, or anyone else, actually realized they drafted Tony Romo's immediate replacement. Almost everyone who's pretending they knew Prescott would be as productive as he's been is just lying. But let everyone tell it, it was so obvious and Ryan Pace just didn't see it.

So I'm pretty much fully on board with the, if it isn't Fox, hire a guy that we think is an offensive genius and let him pick our next QB (McDaniels / Shanny are at the very top of my list). Obviously, my first go round would be to hand the keys to the kingdom to Harbaugh (whom I love...but I know that isn't happening and as I've said multiple times, I haven't seen any reason to kick Pace to the curb yet).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
So I'm pretty much fully on board with the, if it isn't Fox, hire a guy that we think is an offensive genius and let him pick our next QB (McDaniels / Shanny are at the very top of my list). Obviously, my first go round would be to hand the keys to the kingdom to Harbaugh (whom I love...but I know that isn't happening and as I've said multiple times, I haven't seen any reason to kick Pace to the curb yet).

I dont think Harbaugh would leave the Ravens to come to the Bears though. You'd have to look at someone that wants to move up from a position that isnt a highly paid HC

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
I dont think Harbaugh would leave the Ravens to come to the Bears though. You'd have to look at someone that wants to move up from a position that isnt a highly paid HC

I was referring to the guy up in Michigan. Agree with you on Harbaugh leaving Ravens. I can't be hiring a head coach and not put Harbaugh at the top of my list. Rams are going to throw everything his way. It will be interesting to see if he takes them up on there offer. If he believes in Goff, it is a pretty attractive job (it also is for a McDaniels or Shanny as well) as they will have lots of resources, need help at oline/wideout, but have a quality defense (despite just getting whipped) and will have fantastic resources heading into a new stadium, etc. Key of course is developing Goff.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I was referring to the guy up in Michigan. Agree with you on Harbaugh leaving Ravens. I can't be hiring a head coach and not put Harbaugh at the top of my list. Rams are going to throw everything his way. It will be interesting to see if he takes them up on there offer. If he believes in Goff, it is a pretty attractive job (it also is for a McDaniels or Shanny as well) as they will have lots of resources, need help at oline/wideout, but have a quality defense (despite just getting whipped) and will have fantastic resources heading into a new stadium, etc. Key of course is developing Goff.

Jim Harbaugh isnt going anywhere any time soon. He makes more annually than any NFL coach. He also has no boss.

I'd also rather have John as a coach.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)

Why would anyone be interested in hiring McDaniels? With the way he failed in Denver, I wouldn't think anyone would touch him again.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Jim Harbaugh isnt going anywhere any time soon. He makes more annually than any NFL coach. He also has no boss.

I'd also rather have John as a coach.

I think there is a real possibility he ends up with the Rams. That said, I'd be more convinced in a year or two, especially if he wins a National Title at Michigan. At some point, Harbaugh is coming back to the NFL.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Why would anyone be interested in hiring McDaniels? With the way he failed in Denver, I wouldn't think anyone would touch him again.

He failed as a 33 year old head coach and even then he did have a .500 season followed by a bad year with Tebow/Orton at QB (and the .500 year was with Orton IIRC). I think he was one of those people who if he looks back, probably learned a lot from that experience and should be in a great position to be a really good head coach. And while he handled the Cutler thing wrong...was he really wrong on Cutler?

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)

I think he will get another shot at HC, and when it happens he won't be given full personnel control like he had in Denver. Giving him a competent GM that he can work with will probably benefit him a lot, he became a egomaniac in Denver by all reports

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I think there is a real possibility he ends up with the Rams. That said, I'd be more convinced in a year or two, especially if he wins a National Title at Michigan. At some point, Harbaugh is coming back to the NFL.

I really can't see Jim leaving Michigan just yet. You brought up McDaniels, I think there's a better chance he ends up in LA than Harbaugh at this moment.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
He failed as a 33 year old head coach and even then he did have a .500 season followed by a bad year with Tebow/Orton at QB (and the .500 year was with Orton IIRC). I think he was one of those people who if he looks back, probably learned a lot from that experience and should be in a great position to be a really good head coach. And while he handled the Cutler thing wrong...was he really wrong on Cutler?

Yes, I think he was wrong with Cutler. The man decided Tebow/Orton were better than Cutler, which I'd say is pretty obviously wrong. If I'm not mistaken, I also think he pushed to draft Tebow.

NE is good because of their head coach, I would be careful giving this guy another try. I sure hope the Bears don't go after him.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Yes, I think he was wrong with Cutler. The man decided Tebow/Orton were better than Cutler, which I'd say is pretty obviously wrong. If I'm not mistaken, I also think he pushed to draft Tebow.

NE is good because of their head coach, I would be careful giving this guy another try. I sure hope the Bears don't go after him.

No, he wanted Matt Cassell, it had nothing to do with Tebow and Orton. He tried to trade for Cassell and it failed, Cutler and his agent caught wind of it and when they talked to him about it, it got ugly and Cutler said "trade me". Then he ended up with Orton and drafted Tebow. He definitely didn't choose Tebow/Orton over Cutler, he just ended up with those two because he handled his business like a jackass

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
No, he wanted Matt Cassell, it had nothing to do with Tebow and Orton. He tried to trade for Cassell and it failed, Cutler and his agent caught wind of it and when they talked to him about it, it got ugly and Cutler said "trade me". Then he ended up with Orton and drafted Tebow. He definitely didn't choose Tebow/Orton over Cutler, he just ended up with those two because he handled his business like a jackass

Yep and no one is implying he should be in charge of personnel. That was a horrific idea in totality by Denver, but I don't think it takes away from the fact that right now, he's an extremely qualified candidate and one of the few guys who you probably would pick from (that would be available) to be the HC / person grooming a young QB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)

He's got a baby on the way, his parents literally just moved down the street and he can do anything he wants all the time. Maybe in 4-5 years once his brother needling him about a Super Bowl ring gets to him, but not sooner than that.