2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
Does it matter? 6-10 is still 6-10 and shows the talent leve and or coaching is not up to snuff. It is amazing anyone would have any patience after 6-10, 3-13, and 6-10. The disaster that was Emery/Trestman was 8-8, 5-11. Love got canned after a 10-6. Fox is now in Abe Gibson territory after 2 years. I can't see how they would bring him back in 2018 if they didn't make the playoffs next year. If you are going to make a change unless a miracle happens, wouldn't it be better to move on now and restart the clock?

Yes. Because I will look at "improvement" as a positive thing if you've picked a rookie QB, because that rookie would be expected to improve further in 2018. I will take 6-10 in that case.

I will find "improvement" unacceptable as the only goal if you've added a more expensive, veteran QB, and likely given up draft picks to do it. In that case, playoff competition would be a minimum requirement based on the decisions they made - don't make decisions that sacrifice the future to compete in 2017 if you're not ready to fire everyone if you fail to compete in 2017. (this seems oddly relevant for this board. Anywho).

If they added a rookie QB and still won 3 games, that would also be a major concern since that would mean they hadn't gotten anything else out of FA or the draft to improve on the lineup weaknesses.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
Yes. Because I will look at "improvement" as a positive thing if you've picked a rookie QB, because that rookie would be expected to improve further in 2018. I will take 6-10 in that case.

I will find "improvement" unacceptable as the only goal if you've added a more expensive, veteran QB, and likely given up draft picks to do it. In that case, playoff competition would be a minimum requirement based on the decisions they made - don't make decisions that sacrifice the future to compete in 2017 if you're not ready to fire everyone if you fail to compete in 2017. (this seems oddly relevant for this board. Anywho).

If they added a rookie QB and still won 3 games, that would also be a major concern since that would mean they hadn't gotten anything else out of FA or the draft to improve on the lineup weaknesses.

The problem is even if they do draft a QB, chances of him being the primary QB in 2017, are very slim. The 6-10 will be with a guy like Brian Hoyer under center.

Depends who they draft. If they grab Watson in the 2nd I have no problem throwing that guy right into the fire. He'll probably thrive in that kind of development.

But Trubortlesky or Kizer? Probably not, but I have very little interest in either of those guys in the first place.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
The problem is even if they do draft a QB, chances of him being the primary QB in 2017, are very slim. The 6-10 will be with a guy like Brian Hoyer under center.

That is fine. If they draft a guy, he should be ready to take over sometime between games 6-10 if no one gets hurt. In that case, 6 wins means that the skill players showed some improvement and they got something out of FA and the draft again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
They have no corners, no QB, the safeties suck. They might not be 3-13 again, but can they be .500? Does 6-10 or 7-9 spell the end of Fox next year? Does it spell the end of Pace?

CB/S is both a strength in free agency and the draft this year. Could bank on them getting a top DB. Bears will have 70+ million in cap space after they cut Cutler, Houston, and Royal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
Isn't it kind of odd how the Bears kept Pace from dealing with the press this season? Shouldn't the GM be out there a bit more?

If Pace wanted to speak, the Bears wouldn't stop him. It's really obnoxious.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
My hope tonight is that the Redskins win and the Packers /Lions head to overtime. The loser doesn't make the playoffs but a tie and both teams advance and knock out Washington. That could be entertaining strategy . Although the Lions would prefer the division and home playoff game.

So much for that. Although the Giants won me some $$$.

Winner tonight gets Giants at home, loser flies to Seattle. That's a big difference, still some intrigue for NBC.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 02:39 AM)
Yeah, that would be Brady. Dude is gonna win the mvp and he missed the first 4 games. 11-1 record, 28 tds with only 2 picks? I'm completely shook on this one.

Depends on you ask. You'll have the crowd who will say Rodgers never had to cheat to get his accomplishments which is completely justifiable.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:10 AM)
Depends on you ask. You'll have the crowd who will say Rodgers never had to cheat to get his accomplishments which is completely justifiable.

I don't pay attention to those clowns. Brady is handsome, has the model wife from heaven, s***, he might even have a big package to go with it. Dude is great. GREAT. That's it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 02:39 AM)
Yeah, that would be Brady. Dude is gonna win the mvp and he missed the first 4 games. 11-1 record, 28 tds with only 2 picks? I'm completely shook on this one.

I don't think there's any doubt Rodgers is a better player than Brady. The Patriots are just a better overall organization top to bottom.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
I don't think there's any doubt Rodgers is a better player than Brady. The Patriots are just a better overall organization top to bottom.

There is plenty of doubt. Brady is pretty f***ing good

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
Brady reminds me of Duncan where you know he is good and they win every year, but it's so methodical you might not appreciate it as much.

Where as Rodgers makes that throw to Geronimo last night and you are just in awe.

I think people just forget that Brady keeps on making the same great throws because he has been doing it for so long. Brady and Rodgers are both elite, amazing quarterbacks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
There is plenty of doubt. Brady is pretty f***ing good

But the Patriots are good without him. The Packers are garbage without Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers is a better quarterback and more valuable player.