2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
They won't even get that IMO with his contract. I bet they mutually agree on him giving up guaranteed $$ and they cut him.

My understanding is, because of the structure of the contract, a potential Romo suitor would not be liable for much of the tab.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:48 PM)
When is the last time a NFL team played in such a small stadium? How big was the Milwaukee County Stadium the Packers played in sometimes in the 90s?

The Bears played a few championship games in Chicago Stadium waaay back.

Not sure about full-time, though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
He supposedly nailed both the Niners and Rams interview. He gets a lot of credit for Cousins and is supposedly really really bright. Only question is whether he has enough experience yet to handle the big thing or not. Seems like a decent type of guy to have groom Goff. Risky, sure, but if he can get some experienced assistants and isn't overly arrogant it could end out working out brilliantly.

He picked up Wade Phillips to run his Defense today which is about as good of a defensive hire as you can make. The one thing I read that seemed like a convincing argument yesterday was a list of the four youngest coaches in NFL history (name, team, age in years-days, record).

Lane Kiffin OAK 32-123 5-15

Raheem Morris TB 33-10 17-31

David Shula CIN 33-101 19-52

Josh McDaniels DEN 33-144 11-17

Yes, when a team hires a new coach the team is already starting off bad, but there's also zero cases of someone at comparable age actually turning a team around. That tells me there could darn well be something more systematic here - either ownership that doesn't trust the kid or players that don't trust the kid or coaches who get theirs too early and need to be chastened once or twice. That said, 0/4 becomes 1/5 and the trend looks a lot different.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
He picked up Wade Phillips to run his Defense today which is about as good of a defensive hire as you can make. The one thing I read that seemed like a convincing argument yesterday was a list of the four youngest coaches in NFL history (name, team, age in years-days, record).

Yes, when a team hires a new coach the team is already starting off bad, but there's also zero cases of someone at comparable age actually turning a team around. That tells me there could darn well be something more systematic here - either ownership that doesn't trust the kid or players that don't trust the kid or coaches who get theirs too early and need to be chastened once or twice. That said, 0/4 becomes 1/5 and the trend looks a lot different.

Phillips seems like a solid hire. The only problem is he's a 3-4 guy, and they were a 4-3 team so there is going to have to be an adjustment, and he is 70 years old when the season starts. Will he stick around to see it through?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
Phillips seems like a solid hire. The only problem is he's a 3-4 guy, and they were a 4-3 team so there is going to have to be an adjustment, and he is 70 years old when the season starts. Will he stick around to see it through?

He runs a Phillips 3-4 though, which is a one gap system... They're going to be disgusting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)

He doesn't really run a traditional 3-4 front. He runs a 43 under front (3T (Donald) to the weak side, 1T (Brockers) to the strong side. Wade walks up his WLB in a standup position generally though. It should work out fine. Most teams are in nickel 70% of the time anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
Jordy is OUT for Sunday's game. Rodgers did fine without him Sunday, but during the season Rodgers' turnaround seemed to coincide with Jordy finally getting back to full strength.

Should be ready for the Super Bowl if they can get past Dallas and Atlanta without him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)

http://www.profootballhof.com/football-his...hes-modern-era/

It seems like a fairly mixed bag, most turning out poorly, but how many guys coach in the NFL that don't look mediocre to poor by the end of their careers?

The Raiders have officially applied for relocation to Las Vegas, and the owners should vote in March. If they move, it'll be the third NFL relocation in three years. MLB has had one team move since 1972.

The dumbest thing about this is apparently they're going to stay in Oakland while the stadium is built. If the Chargers can play at the StubHub Center, the Raiders can play at UNLV for a couple of years.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
The Raiders have officially applied for relocation to Las Vegas, and the owners should vote in March. If they move, it'll be the third NFL relocation in three years. MLB has had one team move since 1972.

The dumbest thing about this is apparently they're going to stay in Oakland while the stadium is built. If the Chargers can play at the StubHub Center, the Raiders can play at UNLV for a couple of years.

I don't live in my teams' TV market, but I can't imagine supporting a team after they plan to move, finalize the move, and stay in the current location in the interim.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
I don't live in my teams' TV market, but I can't imagine supporting a team after they plan to move, finalize the move, and stay in the current location in the interim.

Imagine how raiders fans feel as a whole, bouncing around LA, Oakland and now (presumably) Vegas in the last 30 years or so

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Hard to believe how far the NFL has fallen in just three or so years.

Fallen how? Like quality? I agree there. Money wise, they're as good as ever and it looks like the decline in the ratings the first half of the year was due to the election.