2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
If we can get him for our second and a third next year I would be pretty damn excited.

You could still draft a defensive beast with the third pick and add Jimmy G? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiit.

If we sent then our second, and next years second, plus added a top D stud at #3? This might actually be a playoff team. The Bears have assloads of cap space too.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
I think the game changers available at #3 are safeties and I view the top two relatively interchangeably and not being worthy of the #3 pick, so if a team had another player, say an offensive player they wanted/needed to move up a few slots to get, I'd prefer to make that move and accumulate picks. I have always believed in the Jimmy Johnson (and really to some extent Belicheck) view of moving down and accumulating picks...gives you the opportunity to be aggressive when you need to move up. Pace has also shown he is not afraid to move picks (which I like).

I want Allen. Fangio can move that guy around and he will be a game changer on day one. I like the idea of obtaining more picks, dont get me wrong but this dude is a cant miss IMO. Without a pass rush you leave any safety you have back there out to dry even if he is good. Either way I think they make out pretty well in this draft and off season though.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
I want Allen. Fangio can move that guy around and he will be a game changer on day one. I like the idea of obtaining more picks, dont get me wrong but this dude is a cant miss IMO. Without a pass rush you leave any safety you have back there out to dry even if he is good. Either way I think they make out pretty well in this draft and off season though.

Allen isn't known as a pass rusher and he has had 2, possibly three surgeries on his shoulder. I am scared to death of Allen (maybe it is the White syndrome) but I pretty much am only interested in pass rushers, perenial all pro LT's, or QB's with a top 3 pick. Allen doesn't seem to fit the make-up of a guy who will be a total elite difference maker while I think the safeties can address some huge needs and have that talent, that said, I think I grade them more similarly and thus would prefer to move down to get them, cause I don't really see a team taking those guys @ 3 (and figure at least one will still be there if we were down at 7, 8 or 9.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Allen isn't known as a pass rusher and he has had 2, possibly three surgeries on his shoulder. I am scared to death of Allen (maybe it is the White syndrome) but I pretty much am only interested in pass rushers, perenial all pro LT's, or QB's with a top 3 pick. Allen doesn't seem to fit the make-up of a guy who will be a total elite difference maker while I think the safeties can address some huge needs and have that talent, that said, I think I grade them more similarly and thus would prefer to move down to get them, cause I don't really see a team taking those guys @ 3 (and figure at least one will still be there if we were down at 7, 8 or 9.

This time of year is when I read scouting reports and watch some tape on guys because I admittedly hate watching college football during the season. Everything that I have read and seen on him is that he is going to be a difference maker. Scouts that have said those exact words. He is going to be a disruptive force. Now the injuries, yeah that is a fear.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
People have compared Allen to Aaron Donald.

I don't think I've seen any comparisons to Donald. Donald is a disruptive force who relies on quickness and is largely undersized. Allen has three inches on Donald so I don't know that I see the comparison. By the way, I'm open to Allen and I'm not a scout, my view is he's going to be a good to very good player, but I don't view him as being a disruptive player on defense.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
People have compared Allen to Aaron Donald.

No they haven't. At least they shouldn't. Donald is a 3 technique DT. Allen more of a 5 technique in a 34 front. He should be a good pro but I worry that he's about as good now as he'll ever be and the shoulder issues are scary. I think Solomon Thomas from Stanford is the best DL in the draft. He could be JJ Watt like at the next level. If they didn't go QB, he'd be my pick at #3.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)
No they haven't. At least they shouldn't. Donald is a 3 technique DT. Allen more of a 5 technique in a 34 front. He should be a good pro but I worry that he's about as good now as he'll ever be and the shoulder issues are scary. I think Solomon Thomas from Stanford is the best DL in the draft. He could be JJ Watt like at the next level. If they didn't go QB, he'd be my pick at #3.

How do you feel about Garrett at 3?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)

They have. They are both disruptive interior players.

Allen - 6'3 290 lbs

Donald - 6'0 280 lbs

Not all that much difference. Allen a little bit more suited for 3-4 5T, but that stuff doesn't matter all that much. Mike Daniels plays 5T for Packers and he is same size as Donald.

Allen has great pass rush ability. Last two years he had 22 sacks. That's why you are drafting him top 10. Now if you are worried about injury totally get that, but that is up to teams to figure out with doctors.

Sorry, if we can compare Thomas to Watt, we can compare Allen and Donald. Even if you don't want to compare those two play style. The production Donald gives you is what teams expect out of Allen.

Edited by GoSox05

Cleveland could really do some great stuff in this draft.

Take Garrett at 1. Take a top WR or CB at 12. Maybe Williams or Davis or one of the Ohio State CB.

Trade 2nd and other stuff for Garoppolo. Although I think it's going to take 1st to get him.

Odds are that they somehow mess it up.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
They have. They are both disruptive interior players.

Allen - 6'3 290 lbs

Donald - 6'0 280 lbs

Not all that much difference. Allen a little bit more suited for 3-4 5T, but that stuff doesn't matter all that much. Mike Daniels plays 5T for Packers and he is same size as Donald.

Allen has great pass rush ability. Last two years he had 22 sacks. That's why you are drafting him top 10. Now if you are worried about injury totally get that, but that is up to teams to figure out with doctors.

Sorry, if we can compare Thomas to Watt, we can compare Allen and Donald. Even if you don't want to compare those two play style. The production Donald gives you is what teams expect out of Allen.

I don't think Jonathan Allen is Aaron Donald in his very best dreams.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't think Jonathan Allen is Aaron Donald in his very best dreams.

Maybe not, but if a team takes him in the top 10, that's probably the production they are thinking when they get him.

Don't live in Illinois so I don't follow this, but If I remember, a few years back, there was a lot of issues with the Saints when their owner was pushing some legislation that was anti-player? I don't remember how it ended, but there was a lot of bad press at the time.

NFLPA EVP @DeSmithNFLPA will tell free agents not to sign with the Bears if the new Illinois workers' comp act strips injury health care.

Chris Emma ‏@CEmma670 4m4 minutes ago

More

DeMaurice Smith told @Spiegel_Parkins that the new Illinois workers' comp bill targeting athletes is being pushed by the McCaskey family.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Don't live in Illinois so I don't follow this, but If I remember, a few years back, there was a lot of issues with the Saints when their owner was pushing some legislation that was anti-player? I don't remember how it ended, but there was a lot of bad press at the time.

In Illinois, athletes can receive Workman's Comp benefits up until like age 67. This bill proposes for the benefits to stop at age 35. This would affect every team in town a lot in addition to minor league athletes that play in Illinois. It's disgusting and the McCaskey's should be ashamed of themselves in they are indeed pushing this. Ryan Pace, Theo Epstein, Rick Hahn, etc should be really angry about this.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
In Illinois, athletes can receive Workman's Comp benefits up until like age 67. This bill proposes for the benefits to stop at age 35. This would affect every team in town a lot in addition to minor league athletes that play in Illinois. It's disgusting and the McCaskey's should be ashamed of themselves in they are indeed pushing this. Ryan Pace, Theo Epstein, Rick Hahn, etc should be really angry about this.

The Bears have always been known for their poor healthcare. Always rank toward the top in medical lawsuits. It's been better since Michael Mccaskey is no longer in charge. I would wager he is behind this one.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
The Bears have always been known for their poor healthcare. Always rank toward the top in medical lawsuits. It's been better since Michael Mccaskey is no longer in charge. I would wager he is behind this one.

I just read more about it and Bernstein is talking about it now. It's not as egregious as it sounded. Multiple states are doing it or don't include professional athletes in the first place. It's about wage differential. You can earn wage differential for workman's comp issues through the age of 67. It was intended to benefit pipe fitters, bus drivers, etc. McCaskey's and the other 4 pro teams in Chicago are on board with getting the age changed to 35. Lawyers have been arguing that players should receive wage differential through the age of 67 even though they'd be retired long before then and winning by the letter of Illinois law. It's very specific.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
I just read more about it and Bernstein is talking about it now. It's not as egregious as it sounded. Multiple states are doing it or don't include professional athletes in the first place. It's about wage differential. You can earn wage differential for workman's comp issues through the age of 67. It was intended to benefit pipe fitters, bus drivers, etc. McCaskey's and the other 4 pro teams in Chicago are on board with getting the age changed to 35. Lawyers have been arguing that players should receive wage differential through the age of 67 even though they'd be retired long before then and winning by the letter of Illinois law. It's very specific.

Makes sense with the age of 67 as that is basically considered retirement age for social security. However, changing it to 35 is a little low. There are many players over the age of 35 that would be screwed by this. I would think 40 would be better as there are few athletes anymore that are still playing at that age.