2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
Hopefully that is the end of an era.

Yea, hopefully Capers is gone. That defensive performance was pathetic even with their injuries. Rodgers is the only player that showed up today. Absolutely nothing he could have done with how awful the rest of the team played.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
They believed Rex was their guy. Noone thought Rodgers would fall into the Packers lap, which helped coincide with Favre getting up there in age. You gotta remember even with injuries, Rex was only 2 years removed from being drafted in the 1st round by the Bears. They just didn't know what they had in him since he got injured his first couple of years there.

The Packers badly wanted JP Losman in 2004. When the Bills chose him at 22 they ended up waiting a year to grab Favre's replacement.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)
The Packers badly wanted JP Losman in 2004. When the Bills chose him at 22 they ended up waiting a year to grab Favre's replacement.

Sucks for Losman. I'm convinced the Packers will never have a bad QB.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 09:13 PM)
10 playoff games, two close games and one of those was a s*** show. It might just be luck of the draw but injuries are taking way too much of a toll IMO.

There's just so much mediocrity and the quality of games is just bad overall.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
The NFL seriously sucks.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
It really does.

What a terrible product that they put on the field. Pretty much every game used to be must see TV but now I cant even get excited for what is supposed to be the marque matchups. That have made it impossible to fully understand the rules. And probably the most damning of all is that players arent allowed to hit anymore. Why cant they accept the fact that they are a brutal sport, make the players sign waivers and then go back to real football like it used to be?

I don't think players not being able to target another players head is why football has been lacking. I don't miss watching players getting their brains scrambled on the field every week. It still happens, but not nearly as much.

I do think the game is being over officiated. That is something that might change. I think the over officiating was a reaction to HD. Fans can see every play and every little thing that happens.

Also, I think teams need to go back to having more contact in practice, but not sure that can change under current labor agreement.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Yea, hopefully Capers is gone. That defensive performance was pathetic even with their injuries. Rodgers is the only player that showed up today. Absolutely nothing he could have done with how awful the rest of the team played.

Give credit to Atlanta. They are fantastic offensively. I am surprised the Falcons are underdogs. People must not have watched them, but they have gotten better and better as the season has worn on. Matt Ryan is playing some fantastic football. Goes to show that if you give a good QB the right weapons and coaches, they can play at an elite level (I've always been a Ryan fan). I long felt the same about Cutler, but obviously that is said and done at this point for him. I do think if Jay goes to San Fran with Shanny, we might actually see him win and I personally will be hoping he does well.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
I don't think players not being able to target another players head is why football has been lacking. I don't miss watching players getting their brains scrambled on the field every week. It still happens, but not nearly as much.

I do think the game is being over officiated. That is something that might change. I think the over officiating was a reaction to HD. Fans can see every play and every little thing that happens.

Also, I think teams need to go back to having more contact in practice, but not sure that can change under current labor agreement.

I think your last point is the biggest issue, that said, I like to see good physical play and now when you see that sort of play, you unfortunately see the flag thrown. They've made it so hard to play defense and I personally liked seeing good defense (I also like seeing good offenses go against good defenses).

But really, the lack of practicing and contact allowed during training camps / season is one of the bigger culprits. I still seriously enjoy football though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Give credit to Atlanta. They are fantastic offensively. I am surprised the Falcons are underdogs. People must not have watched them, but they have gotten better and better as the season has worn on. Matt Ryan is playing some fantastic football. Goes to show that if you give a good QB the right weapons and coaches, they can play at an elite level (I've always been a Ryan fan). I long felt the same about Cutler, but obviously that is said and done at this point for him. I do think if Jay goes to San Fran with Shanny, we might actually see him win and I personally will be hoping he does well.

As good as Atlanta's offense is that defensive performance was brutal. Their corners, and Randall in particular, are playing the receivers 10 yards back and Atlanta was hitting them with short crossing and out routes all game. Defense never made any adjustments. Dropping into zone coverage, missed assignments, no creativity, etc. Add in the lack of play making on multiple fumble and INT opportunities combined with poor tackling and it was an all around horrendous effort. I realize Capers didn't have much to work with given the injuries and overall lack of talent on the defensive side but he did absolutely nothing to improve their chances to succeed.

Patriots get a lot of s*** and people seem generally hate them, but it really is amazing what they have been able to do. It would be amazing in the pre free agency days. Let alone now.

Being a Packers fan and seeing how difficult it has been for them to get back to the Super Bowl even with Aaron Rodgers. I couldn't imagine a team going 7 times in recent years.