2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Gotta be fun to be a Falcons fan today. Yikes.

That's the type of loss you never get over as a fan until your team wins a title. The amount of things the Falcons needed to do wrong to allow that comeback is just stunning. You could write a book about how badly the Falcons handled that game from the time they recovered the onside kick up 28-9 late in the third quarter through the end of regulation.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:30 AM)
That's the type of loss you never get over as a fan until your team wins a title. The amount of things the Falcons needed to do wrong to allow that comeback is just stunning. You could write a book about how badly the Falcons handled that game from the time they recovered the onside kick up 28-9 late in the third quarter through the end of regulation.

It was unbelievable to watch happen.

The Packers losing to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship was really awful. I will never be able to rewatch that game, but this was the Super Bowl and you had a huge lead with little time left. I think I would stop watching sports.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
Also Tom Brady is probably the greatest of all time, if not at least top 3, but he should be 3-4 in Super Bowls. Last two wins had a lot to do with other teams totally choking in multiple ways.

This was the largest margin of victory by either team in all 7 of his Super Bowls. 6 points.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
This was the largest margin of victory by either team in all 7 of his Super Bowls. 6 points.

I'm kinda sick of seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl, but you have to admit all of the 7 Super Bowls they have been in have been great games.

Vs Rams and Vs Panthers are two of my favorite Super Bowls.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
It was unbelievable to watch happen.

The Packers losing to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship was really awful. I will never be able to rewatch that game, but this was the Super Bowl and you had a huge lead with little time left. I think I would stop watching sports.

It is astonishing. They consistently snapped the ball really early in the play clock when all they needed to do is run out the clock and this is when the Patriots were taking their sweet ass time on all their plays and shouldn't have had enough time to even make a comeback. Then when you recover the onside kick up 28-9 you have a good 9 yard run on first down to get in FG range. On 2nd and one Matthews inexcusably holds on a running play backing them up and out of FG range and then on third and long Ryan gets sacked and they have to punt. But no matter, they hold the Patriots to a FG on the Patriots next drive and the Patriots chew up 5 minutes of clock to get only 3 points so now you are still up 16 pts with less than 10 minutes left when you get the ball back. They get to third and one and the next play completely changes the game. If they run it there and get stopped New England has less than 8 minutes to have two TD drives where they need to go the length of the field when at this point they had showed zero big play ability the entire game. And then rather than running the Falcons questionably throw but that is made even worse by the fact that Freeman somehow doesn't see Hightower blitzing from his side and fails to pick it up leading to Ryan fumbling. I honestly have no f***ing clue what Freeman was looking at.

Then after the Patriots score and get the 2 point conversion, the Falcons have a good drive and are well within FG range for an awesome kicker. If you run it three times and kick an easy FG the Patriots probably burn 2 timeouts, have less than 4 minutes to go to score 10 points while they can only stop the clock twice. So after getting stopped a run Ryan loses 12 yards on a sack (even if you are going to throw why the f*** are you calling a play where he is dropping back so far). And then on third they throw it and actually have a nice gain to set up a pretty easy FG attempt for Bryant (would have been just over 40 yards) and Matthews again with a terrible hold negating the play and you end up punting. Then of course the Falcons should have intercepted the throw on Edelman's insane catch and they compounded their error by challenging it and losing a timeout (which could have come in handy when they got the ball back at the end of regulation). And then with a minute left which is plenty of time to get in FG range (especially for Matt Bryant) Eric Weems inexplicably doesn't take a knee in the end zone so instead of starting from the 25 you are pushed back to the 11. Just astonishing how bad they were and how many things they did wrong.

I think you could argue that if the Falcons just ran a couple of boring run plays those last two drives they probably win the game.

On that 3rd down that Ryan fumbled. Had they just run it with one of their really good running backs or thrown a quick pass, even if they don't get the first down. You probably eat up a minute or so of time and try a field goal which pretty much ends the game or even if you punted and made the Patriots drive 90 yards down the field.

It was an amazing collapse and I bet the Falcon coaches are getting sick watching the game film. Dan Quinn is a good coach and I think Kyle Shanahan will be good, but they might have been in a little over their heads last night vs Belichick.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
It is astonishing. They consistently snapped the ball really early in the play clock when all they needed to do is run out the clock and this is when the Patriots were taking their sweet ass time on all their plays and shouldn't have had enough time to even make a comeback. Then when you recover the onside kick up 28-9 you have a good 9 yard run on first down to get in FG range. On 2nd and one Matthews inexcusably holds on a running play backing them up and out of FG range and then on third and long Ryan gets sacked and they have to punt. But no matter, they hold the Patriots to a FG on the Patriots next drive and the Patriots chew up 5 minutes of clock to get only 3 points so now you are still up 16 pts with less than 10 minutes left when you get the ball back. They get to third and one and the next play completely changes the game. If they run it there and get stopped New England has less than 8 minutes to have two TD drives where they need to go the length of the field when at this point they had showed zero big play ability the entire game. And then rather than running the Falcons questionably throw but that is made even worse by the fact that Freeman somehow doesn't see Hightower blitzing from his side and fails to pick it up leading to Ryan fumbling. I honestly have no f***ing clue what Freeman was looking at.

Then after the Patriots score and get the 2 point conversion, the Falcons have a good drive and are well within FG range for an awesome kicker. If you run it three times and kick an easy FG the Patriots probably burn 2 timeouts, have less than 4 minutes to go to score 10 points while they can only stop the clock twice. So after getting stopped a run Ryan loses 12 yards on a sack (even if you are going to throw why the f*** are you calling a play where he is dropping back so far). And then on third they throw it and actually have a nice gain to set up a pretty easy FG attempt for Bryant (would have been just over 40 yards) and Matthews again with a terrible hold negating the play and you end up punting. Then of course the Falcons should have intercepted the throw on Edelman's insane catch and they compounded their error by challenging it and losing a timeout (which could have come in handy when they got the ball back at the end of regulation). And then with a minute left which is plenty of time to get in FG range (especially for Matt Bryant) Eric Weems inexplicably doesn't take a knee in the end zone so instead of starting from the 25 you are pushed back to the 11. Just astonishing how bad they were and how many things they did wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/thirty-one-th...-055153512.html

Thirty one thoughts from a Falcons' fan

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I think he means that, like the reason for my win, sudden death meant no extra point is kicked. So a TD winner in OT only meant 6 points versus a TD winner in regulation likely means 7.

I think we all assumed that super bowl square pools pay out 1st through 4th quarter and if a game goes to overtime, no one gets a payout based upon overtime (since the squares and related payouts aren't typically set out that way).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I think we all assumed that super bowl square pools pay out 1st through 4th quarter and if a game goes to overtime, no one gets a payout based upon overtime (since the squares and related payouts aren't typically set out that way).

Oh, it was final score, so it carried to OT. And because it was sudden death, I won on 8-4. Final score was double payout, so it was 2k/2k/2k/4k

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)

I've never heard of squares or any pool type working that way. They always say 1st, Half, 3rd, Final to avoid situations like that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/epic-patriots...-155559094.html

Will tennis pro Eugenie Bouchard, after losing a Twitter bet about Patriots coming back...go out with random Twitter guy sporting a Tiger Woods avatar?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/statement-mad...-004233155.html

Goodell "clowned" by Pats' assistant coach. Good stuff.

Edited by caulfield12