2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This trade reminds me of the 2014 A's overpaying for Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel because they had the BRIB and wanted to gear up for the postseason. That was misguided too. Just because you perceive that your very good team has a need doesn't mean you need to pay out the ass for it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
This trade reminds me of the 2014 A's overpaying for Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel because they had the BRIB and wanted to gear up for the postseason. That was misguided too. Just because you perceive that your very good team has a need doesn't mean you need to pay out the ass for it.

Yeah, but with the A's they didn't have a lineup full of 24-27 year olds. What made the Oakland trade so bad was the fact that the A's had this one shot to go for it and they blew it.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Yeah, but with the A's they didn't have a lineup full of 24-27 year olds. What made the Oakland trade so bad was the fact that the A's had this one shot to go for it and they blew it.

That's true and it's the biggest reason this trade isn't so egregious. Still, you never know when you'll wish you had that depth back and I don't think this was the best use of the Cubs' resources.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
That's true and it's the biggest reason this trade isn't so egregious. Still, you never know when you'll wish you had that depth back and I don't think this was the best use of the Cubs' resources.

They've lost 1 game in the ninth inning, I believe 3 in the 8th where they were leading. Late inning relief wasnt something they REALLY needed IMO. At least not so much they gave up what they did.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
Bob NightengaleVerified account

‏@BNightengale

The #Cubs do not have contract extension with Aroldis Chapman once #Yankees deal becomes official. Yankees tried themselves, and rebuffed.

As long as Chapman can keep from beating his wife for a few more months, doesn't need to sign an extension now.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Yankees just raked the Cubs over the coals with the return they are getting. I don't care if you do have excess prospects. You still have to be careful when dealing.

When your major league lineup is that solid, you move minor league prospects for pitching.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Yankees just raked the Cubs over the coals with the return they are getting. I don't care if you do have excess prospects. You still have to be careful when dealing.

Yep, they could have gotten a really good starter for that package, instead of late inning relief they dont really need.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
When your major league lineup is that solid, you move minor league prospects for pitching.

To me, should have gone after controllable starting pitching. Never thought late inning relief was a major concern for them. This feels like just as much keeping him away from the other NL contenders. Wade Davis is a better example of a closer that this package would make sense for.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
To me, should have gone after controllable starting pitching. Never thought late inning relief was a major concern for them. This feels like just as much keeping him away from the other NL contenders. Wade Davis is a better example of a closer that this package would make sense for.

Exactly. It has me wondering if this is all they are doing or will they continue to empty out their system to go for it this one year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Doesn't this remove his QO and give him even greater incentive to enter the open market?

Teams do try to discount a bit when one has this, and it may open a few more teams into his bidding.

He was already going to WAY out perform his QO, so this really doesn't change that. the QO messes up the medicore free agents, not the top ones.

Just because you have an excess of talent doesn't mean you should trade that talent for far less than it's worth. Chapman is great, but does he move the needle enough, especially with how much of a crapshoot the playoffs already are? It's not like he would have made a difference last year. At best they improved their odds by a percent or two. That kind of package could have netted you someone that can pitch for you beyond just this season. If they were going to overpay for a Yankee reliever, Miller would have made more sense (and yes, I know this same package could not have gotten Miller).

Edited by OmarComing25

I dont understand how people could say the Cubs didnt need bullpen help. Having him in the closer slot knocks everyone else down a notch in their pen like having Rondon as a set-up man now. This will help their bullpen immensely, not to mention Chapman will be electric and everything you need in a playoff series.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I dont understand how people could say the Cubs didnt need bullpen help. Having him in the closer slot knocks everyone else down a notch in their pen like having Rondon as a set-up man now. This will help their bullpen immensely, not to mention Chapman will be electric and everything you need in a playoff series.

Because with the lead after the 7th inning the Cubs have been extremely good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Because with the lead after the 7th inning the Cubs have been extremely good.

You ask any Cub fan, expert or the like who follow this team (besides fathom) the biggest worry for them is their pen. There really arent any other teams that I would say definitely has a stronger rotation for a playoff series than the Cubs. Hey, I hope they made the wrong move but to me this s*** is what puts them over the top more than any other move they could have made. I admit if I were a Cub fan I would have rather gotten a guy like Miller rather than a rental but for this year Chapman is going to be what you need in the playoffs.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
You ask any Cub fan, expert or the like who follow this team (besides fathom) the biggest worry for them is their pen. There really arent any other teams that I would say definitely has a stronger rotation for a playoff series than the Cubs. Hey, I hope they made the wrong move but to me this s*** is what puts them over the top more than any other move they could have made. I admit if I were a Cub fan I would have rather gotten a guy like Miller rather than a rental but for this year Chapman is going to be what you need in the playoffs.

"Any Cubs fan" are usually morons. They've had a very lock down back of the pen this year, as good as almost anyone. Their rotation was a major cause of their recent slide. They could have easily used that package for a impact starter with a longer term contract and moved one of their current starters into middle relief where they actually are weak.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
Anyone think Maddon is going to recreate the wheel here and use Chapman at random times throughout the game and not necessarily just to close.

I don't know about "recreate" but rarely should their best reliever be used in anything other than a save situation.