Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
would be fantastic, as even though Fowler is a bit better, the lack of comp pick for Jackson makes him more valuable in terms of salary

but jackson agent comes into play here.

he will want and maneuver to get the most for his client for the longest term possible.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
This directly conflicts with your previous statement that it was never about the money. What are you arguing?

I'm not arguing, just pointing out its not just about the money. As I've been saying, Fowler took less money to stay with the Cubs instead of signing with the Orioles.

I don't understand the confusion.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
If he loved the Cubs as much as he says he does, then he would have just accepted the QO.

Right on. I'm not understanding all the Cubbie-Fowlie love. He actually took a pay cut from the Cubs official offer. Cubs offered $15.8M guaranteed. Fowler declines and then signs for... $13M guaranteed?? Even Howie Kendrick nominally beat his QO when he crawled back to the Dodgers with his tail between his legs. If Fowler really loved the Cubs so much (which is a little odd anyway since he's only played there for one year of his decade-long career), he should have just taken their first offer. If he wanted more money, he should have signed with Baltimore. If the Cubs really appreciated Fowler's loyalty, they should have honored initial the $15.8M guarantee as opposed to undercutting him. It's like Fowler got played, and yet he comes away smiling. I don't get it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
would be fantastic, as even though Fowler is a bit better, the lack of comp pick for Jackson makes him more valuable in terms of salary

Fowler is better. Jackson could theoretically bounce back offensively though and plays great OF defense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Now I see the confusion and its my fault. The blurb I was reading said Fowler had signed a 1/8M for '16.

Apologies to all for my confusion.

It is 1/$8M with a "mutual option" for the second year and a $5M buyout. Most don't see a scenario where both Fowler and the Cubs want that mutual option, so it's effectively a 1/$13 deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
If he loved the Cubs as much as he says he does, then he would have just accepted the QO.

Eh. You might love a job, but that doesn't mean you leave millions and millions of dollars on the table. He thought he was getting a huge contract and failed. If all things were equal, he was going to the Cubs. When the huge money wasn't there, it made the Cubs offer have more weight.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
Right on. I'm not understanding all the Cubbie-Fowlie love. He actually took a pay cut from the Cubs official offer. Cubs offered $15.8M guaranteed. Fowler declines and then signs for... $13M guaranteed?? Even Howie Kendrick nominally beat his QO when he crawled back to the Dodgers with his tail between his legs. If Fowler really loved the Cubs so much (which is a little odd anyway since he's only played there for one year of his decade-long career), he should have just taken their first offer. If he wanted more money, he should have signed with Baltimore. If the Cubs really appreciated Fowler's loyalty, they should have honored initial the $15.8M guarantee as opposed to undercutting him. It's like Fowler got played, and yet he comes away smiling. I don't get it.

you make a good point, several players took the QO for the reason, i am sure that the OF market will come down to this.

that is why you are seeing a 1 yr contract, bet on oneself and enter the fa market again.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
It is 1/$8M with a "mutual option" for the second year and a $5M buyout. Most don't see a scenario where both Fowler and the Cubs want that mutual option, so it's effectively a 1/$13 deal.

Typically a mutual option with money only gets paid if the player accepts and the team doesn't. If a player opts out, they don't get paid. Maybe this one is different, but I have never seen it.

In a stunning reversal, the Cubs have re-signed outfielder Dexter Fowler to a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2017, tweets Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. He’ll receive $8MM in 2016. The mutual option is for $9MM with a $5MM buyout (tweet). The Cubs have placed Zac Rosscup on the 60-day DL to make room on the 40-man roster.

Recent reports had Fowler agreeing to a three-year, $33MM deal with the Orioles, but Fowler denies he ever agreed to terms per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times (tweet). Jon Morosi of Fox Sports (tweet) confirms the Orioles did not believe they had a deal in place with Fowler.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/cubs...ter-fowler.html

This has been what I've been basing my posts off of this morning and its my fault for not looking further into it. After looking at BR, I see Fowler signed for 13M so again, apologies for my confusion. :)

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)

Yeah, makes more sense now and thanks for setting me straight on it. Definitely an oversight on my part.

My morning coffee has not been as effective as it usually is so I blame the coffee. :P

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Typically a mutual option with money only gets paid if the player accepts and the team doesn't. If a player opts out, they don't get paid. Maybe this one is different, but I have never seen it.

Interesting. I'm not too familiar with the concept but that makes sense.

He basically matches Baltimore's supposed offer if he gets 2/$20 million next offseason. But the my heart is with the Cubs was BS. He signed for $13 million. He could have taken the QO for almost $16 million. His heart is with the Cubs as long as other teams weren't willing to pay him more money. Nothing wrong with that. But the now standard line , "I turned down more money elsewhere" probably is true when most players say it, but 3 or 4 years from now it will not.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
Thanks. So then the lost pick is replenished and isn't that big a deal. Not sure why the O's reportedly drew such a line in the sand against the one year opt-out.

There's no guarantee Fowler is good enough to deserve a QO next year (lost pick).

And there's no guarantee he wouldn't accept it if he was offered it (lost pick, now Fowler makes $16.5 or $17 million in second year)

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 06:03 AM)
I don't believe Dexter Fowler was worth a late 20s pick at any price.

Exactly.

1 Anderson

2 Fulmer

3 2016 1st pick (#10)

4 Adams

5 2016 supp. pick (#27)

Why would you trade your #5 prospect for one year of Dexter Fowler? You wouldn't. Which is why Hahn, a sane man, didn't.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
There's no guarantee Fowler is good enough to deserve a QO next year (lost pick).

And there's no guarantee he wouldn't accept it if he was offered it (lost pick, now Fowler makes $16.5 or $17 million in second year)

With the way this offseason has gone I think come next year team's will be way more hesitant to offer QO's and players will be much more likely to accept if offered. I mean before this offseason nobody had ever accepted and like 3 or 4 guys did this year. And in hindsight it looks like all those players that accepted definitely made the smart move.

Isn't the money allotted to that pick as much if not more valuable then the pick itself.

The White Sox have a pool of money that is significantly higher because of this pick and as such could sign a player that is drafted and deemed unsignable and they could throw more money at this player than if they did not have the resources attached to this pick.

Is this thinking correct?