White Sox Sign Austin Jackson

DirtySox

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
So most of us thought the Sox would exercise the $10 million option on Alexei. Hahn basically traded that for Rollins, Latos, and Jackson for the option plus the $1 million buyout.

It still wouldn't surprise me if they traded Avi and/or a reliever befor the season started.

A year ago you probably couldn't have gotten Latos or Jackson alone for $10 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
My point is that basing something on one person is pointless, which you just confirmed.

Yes but Laroche has had more power in his career. He's hit 30 before. Lawrie hasn't hit 20 before. He's hit 16 which is the highest in his career and played the most games last year. Can Lawrie hit 20+? Possibly but it's not a guarantee. Can Laroche hit 30+? Possibly but again not a guarantee. Plain and simple need need them to produce. I still think the Sox are short a more run producing bat.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 07:07 PM)
How is comparing these guy's ridiculous. Lawrie is coming in here having career highs on certain stats and when Laroche came over was a bit more consistent producer in his certain stats. The issue is Sox need Laroche to desperately bounce back and Lawrie to continue to be healthy and putting up numbers. Plain in simple sox upgraded this year but still need guys to produce consistently. Really honestly sox are going to need to score at least 700 runs since every team that made the playoffs last year scored at least that amout.

Because LaRoche was 10 years older and switching both leagues and position. If you're concerned Lawrie might not hit 20 HRs because of health that's more than fair, but LaRoche's failures last year have absolutely no bearing on Lawrie.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
Based on streamers projections if Sox run melky, Jackson and eaton for most of your everyday outfield is only putting up 32 homeruns combined. Better be hope Frazier can adjust to the AL and Laroche bounces back cause the sox need those big bats to produce.

It didn't look much different with Avi starting. Still think we'll be closer to 45 than 35.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Theoretically they could potentially send Garcia to AAA since he is working on a new stance/mechanics or I guess trade him.

That's what I was thinking. More depth means more trade pieces and since Avi isn't a defensive replacement type OF, Shuck Avi and Sands might be in a battle for the 25.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
Based on streamers projections if Sox run melky, Jackson and eaton for most of your everyday outfield is only putting up 32 homeruns combined. Better be hope Frazier can adjust to the AL and Laroche bounces back cause the sox need those big bats to produce.

32 seems conservative. They combined for 35 last year, and Melky/Jackson could easily hit more than they hit last year. I'd guess 41. 14 (again) from Eaton, 15 from Melky, 12 from Jackson

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
Not to mention Lawrie has been in the AL his whole career while LaRoche was declining and moving to a different league

Yes but Lawrie hasn't been full healthy every year except for last year for a career high in games and has never lived up to his potential. The good thing Lawrie has going for him is hopefully being off of the turf now full time and being younger he continues to get better.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
I still think we take two backup OFs to start the season. I think having a guy who can platoon with LaRoche (Avi or Sands) is far more important than having a second backup IF like Sanchez.

I would agree with this. More bench pieces could be added, but right now i'd go with

3B/SS/2B - Saladino

LF/RF/1B - Sands / Avi (prefer Sands)

CF/LF/RF - Shuck / Fields / May

C - Avila

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
I still think we take two backup OFs to start the season. I think having a guy who can platoon with LaRoche (Avi or Sands) is far more important than having a second backup IF like Sanchez.

There's certainly a lot of ways the Sox can go. They can use Lawrie more at DH also along with the other DH options mentioned. We don't know for sure just how good or bad Lawrie will be at 2nd and having guys like Saladino and Sanchez around may weaken the bench bats but is far superior as late inning defensive replacements,

Still might see the Sox grab another defensive OF late in ST as rosters are pared or trade fir one with the excess relievers . A guy like Jackie Bradley Jr. who's LH and very good defensively with offensive upside would be perfect but not many like him around.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)

Between Saladino, Rollins, and Lawrie they can all play every position so I don't think we need another back up infielder IMO

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
I would agree with this. More bench pieces could be added, but right now i'd go with

3B/SS/2B - Saladino

LF/RF/1B - Sands / Avi (prefer Sands)

CF/LF/RF - Shuck / Fields / May

C - Avila

Well, by my count, that's a 6-man bench (counting just one of Sands/Avi), and that would leave us with a 5 man 'pen...