White Sox Sign Miguel Gonzalez

GoGoSox2k2

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
The Cubs and White Sox are not rivals. They don't matter. This is old, bad thinking. What the Royals, Twins, Indians, and Tigers do is what matters.

come on, you can't be that narrow minded and still pretend that is not the case. the sox have competition within chi for fans, media attention.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
come on, you can't be that narrow minded and still pretend that is not the case. the sox have competition within chi for fans, media attention.

They just need to win baseball games. They'll never be more popular than the Cubs. If they win baseball games, they'll get covered.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
What the Cubs do doesn't matter. This is a bad post.

Yeah, for starters, I would LOVE to have the Cubs budget. But then again, we'd need the Cubs revenue to do that. The funny part is if you look closely at them, despite spending that much, they still had a bunch of reclamation projects themselves, which they scraped off of the garbage heap.

Matt Murton?

Kawasaki?

Victorino?

Manny Parra?

Literally every single team in baseball does this, because it is a smart way to get potential depth without wasting a lot of money on guys who many never play.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
you are not looking at the big picture, you are thinking figuratively and not in the general terms.

if the sox wanted to sell more tickets, then they would have gotten a marque player, whether that be a sp or not.

but to give the appearance that the sox care about winning and making the fans happy, they do the little things to tweak the team, like signing MG ...... while at the same time keeping looking at the profit margin.....

Little things like signing MG is not going to bring in the casual fans. They have no idea who he is and most likely don't care. They just want to see the team win.

Die-hard fans like us who might be able to actually pick the guy out of a lineup aren't going to buy tickets because of this signing either.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
They just need to win baseball games. They'll never be more popular than the Cubs. If they win baseball games, they'll get covered.

ahhh this is where i can agree,,,,,

winning does chg everything. as long as the owners group would be willing to pony up.

now back to the MG debate. of a reclamation and dumpster diving....

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
If Cespedes were in RF, it wouldn't really affect attendance at all unless they were winning consistently.

Pretty much. We could put the AL all-star team out there everyday but if they only win 70 games nobody is going to want to see them.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
Little things like signing MG is not going to bring in the casual fans. They have no idea who he is and most likely don't care. They just want to see the team win.

Die-hard fans like us who might be able to actually pick the guy out of a lineup aren't going to buy tickets because of this signing either.

this is the crux of my point of view. the casual fans will need incentive, that is done with winning and having a great media attention and something to promote.

yes, promote the idea of the sox sitting on their hands and not doing anything else, no scouring the teams to continue to give the appearance of continuing fixing the team....

the word is appearance

edit ... i gots to go, will be back. great debate guys,

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
this is the crux of my point of view. the casual fans will need incentive, that is done with winning

^^^ That's really all that needs to be said. Casual fans for the most part couldn't care less WHO is on the team or what slogan the marketing department comes up with or which players are on the TV and radio commercials.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
^^^ That's really all that needs to be said. Casual fans for the most part couldn't care less WHO is on the team or what slogan the marketing department comes up with or which players are on the TV and radio commercials.

i am sorry, i thought winning was understood.

don't get me wrong, this team is a great assembly of players who can make a difference. if only.....

QUOTE (spiderman @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
If they do land him, is he a starter or does he go to the bullpen?

The bullpen is full. Heck with Aumont they actually have another guy they could put out there, and that isn't counting a guy like Carroll or Turner they could use as a long guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
If they wanted him bad enough, they could claim him, pay him his $5 million and still send him to Charlotte if he has options left.

NO one wants him $5 million bad. Otherwise the Orioles could have dealt him for something. Realistically we are talking about which team can offer him the best chance at winning a major league job. Looking at the teams on the list Oakland might be the one team that could offer him a major league job as their rotation is scary bad after Sonny Gray.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
NO one wants him $5 million bad. Otherwise the Orioles could have dealt him for something. Realistically we are talking about which team can offer him the best chance at winning a major league job. Looking at the teams on the list Oakland might be the one team that could offer him a major league job as their rotation is scary bad after Sonny Gray.

I hope Oakland signs him and pitches him vs. the White Sox. That would be good for the ChiSox offense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
The bullpen is full. Heck with Aumont they actually have another guy they could put out there, and that isn't counting a guy like Carroll or Turner they could use as a long guy.

Any word on if Turner has cleared waivers? I am sure he will - just curious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)

They could make room for him in the bullpen and use him as a long man and try to work through whatever issues they think he may have and transition him into the rotation as a spot becomes available.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
They could make room for him in the bullpen and use him as a long man and try to work through whatever issues they think he may have and transition him into the rotation as a spot becomes available.

Who are you kicking out of the bullpen for him?