Avi Needs to Go

Dunt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
Well, that is the topic of this thread. Perhaps those who have no interest in the topic, shouldn't waste their time reading it.

What do you think they should do with him? Does winning excuse every weakness, and should we all just conclude that since the Sox are 12 and 6, that they don't need to improve anything? Today's game didn't need to go extra innings. If Avi would contribute something, it would have been over in 9.

Avi is vying to replace La Roche as the League's worst DH. Excuse us, if some of us aren't content to overlook his pathetic at bats, simply because the Sox are winning.

Avi got on base today which led to a run. But by all means Sox 12-6 in first place find the negative and dwell on it. Spring Training went well, they are 12-6 and is there more than one or two players on the roster that already haven't been ragged about? White Sox fans live to moan.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
The Sox win again, so naturally we are talking about Avi.

yeah, because this team has the potential to make the playoffs and even make some noise there. But the simplest of all positions to fill, DH, we got bupkis. wins in april count just the same as september. make hay while the sun is shining or whatever the hell that saying is.

GET SOMEBODY!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
.366/.411/.522

Avi's career AAA splits. I don't know what he is going to learn down there. If he refuses to stop swinging at balls he can't hit from major league pitching, he is screwed. He has no problem hitting bad pitches from less talented pitchers.

Maybe he should work on not hitting bad pitches, but rather taking them, and drawing some walks. He needs to improve his pitch recognition and plate discipline.

He should be able to concentrate on that at any level. It doesn't have to be in the Big Leagues. He is clearly not ready to be a DH on this team. If the Sox didn't

appear to be serious contenders, and were rebuilding, it would be acceptable. However, this team could go a long way, but they must have a productive DH.

There are guys who are good bad ball hitters. If he is not going to exercise any discipline, he better learn how to make consistent contact on bad pitches. Maybe if he took the outside pitches to right field, he could have productive at bats, while still swinging at some pitches out of the zone. I don't presume to have the answers, but clearly, he doesn't either. Let him try to figure it out in AAA, and stop hurting the Big League clubs chances of having a good season.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
yeah, because this team has the potential to make the playoffs and even make some noise there. But the simplest of all positions to fill, DH, we got bupkis. wins in april count just the same as september. make hay while the sun is shining or whatever the hell that saying is.

GET SOMEBODY!

How do they have the potential to make the playoffs? Eaton iOS a punk who needs to be traded. Rollins is washed up. The league has caught up to Abreu. Frazier is the next coming of Dunn and LaRoche. Milky with no steroids is awful. Lawrie isn't any good. Avi might be the worst baseball player whoever lived. Avila is finished. Jackson is one of the worst players in baseball . They are managed by a no nothing who makes out insane line ups. I got all of that from this site this year and somehow they are 12-6.

Even some of the pitchers including Sale get slammed. Sales a hot head who needs to go. A few weeks ago Latos would be released after 5 starts. Nate Jomes is great. Nate Jones sucks. Duke, Petricka, Putnam all awful.

All these problems, yet they are a possible playoff team?

To those of you who decry; "stop complaining. this team is 12 and 6": I'm quite confident that the front office is working very hard, trying to "improve" this team.

Does anyone think that Hahn is sitting back, with his feet up on his desk, celebrating this start, and patting himself on the back, with complete confidence that his job is finished, and that he has successfully put together a roster, which will go deep into the Post Season? Trust me, he isn't and well he should not be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
How do they have the potential to make the playoffs? Eaton iOS a punk who needs to be traded. Rollins is washed up. The league has caught up to Abreu. Frazier is the next coming of Dunn and LaRoche. Milky with no steroids is awful. Lawrie isn't any good. Avi might be the worst baseball player whoever lived. Avila is finished. Jackson is one of the worst players in baseball . They are managed by a no nothing who makes out insane line ups. I got all of that from this site this year and somehow they are 12-6.

Even some of the pitchers including Sale get slammed. Sales a hot head who needs to go. A few weeks ago Latos would be released after 5 starts. Nate Jomes is great. Nate Jones sucks. Duke, Petricka, Putnam all awful.

I get what you're doing and agree with a lot of your opinions but seriously stop.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)

Thanks for the sarcasm troll

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)

I get what you're doing and agree with a lot of your opinions but seriously stop. The whole sarcastic attack others opinions shtick has gotten annoying.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
I get what you're doing and agree with a lot of your opinions but seriously stop. The whole sarcastic attack others opinions shtick has gotten annoying.

I just think it is a crappy way to watch baseball. Everyone is going to struggle. I don't know why you wouldn't look at the positives. If someone told you 18 games into the season Abreu and Frazier combined would be under .200, as would 3 other regulars, there is probably no way you anyone would possibly think they could be 12-6. They have been able to overcome it and win games. I am one person who is beyond thrilled because I know there is no way Abreu suddenly will never hit again or Frazier is a .200 hitter. I know Austin Jackson isn't a .160 hitter and Navarro is better than .100. I even know Avi isn't a .130 hitter. Avi if this keeps up will be replaced. Adam LaRoche was penciled in to be the DH against RHP.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 12:55 AM)
How many PAs and what's his BABIP in AAA? I don't care what he learns, I care that we get a scant bit of production from our DH as opposed to the nothing we're getting now.

Would also give him some less stressful at bats to work on his new mechanics

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Avi got on base today which led to a run. But by all means Sox 12-6 in first place find the negative and dwell on it. Spring Training went well, they are 12-6 and is there more than one or two players on the roster that already haven't been ragged about? White Sox fans live to moan.

Please explain why Garcia should be on this team without bringing up their overall record or spring training results.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
How many PAs and what's his BABIP in AAA? I don't care what he learns, I care that we get a scant bit of production from our DH as opposed to the nothing we're getting now.

Exactly. Avi cannot even give us productive ABs. The only good thing he's done this series is a HBP.

At least Sands has come up with some good ABs at times. I'd rather he be in there right now.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
I just think it is a crappy way to watch baseball. Everyone is going to struggle. I don't know why you wouldn't look at the positives. If someone told you 18 games into the season Abreu and Frazier combined would be under .200, as would 3 other regulars, there is probably no way you anyone would possibly think they could be 12-6. They have been able to overcome it and win games. I am one person who is beyond thrilled because I know there is no way Abreu suddenly will never hit again or Frazier is a .200 hitter. I know Austin Jackson isn't a .160 hitter and Navarro is better than .100. I even know Avi isn't a .130 hitter. Avi if this keeps up will be replaced. Adam LaRoche was penciled in to be the DH against RHP.

Just because we're b****ing about Avi albeit justified, doesn't mean we're not enjoying it. Navarro has a track record of hitting. AJax has had some productive outs, ABs and clutch hits. Avi is a black hole right now. He's lost at the plate. I don't know what AAA would do, but at least he could go there and work on things and not kill the Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)

I am sure they are looking for an outside addition , as I don't think Ishikawa provides much of an upgrade. But what is available mostly for money right now? I would imagine Jay Bruce. The question becomes do you want to blow your wad on 140 games with Jay Bruce or wait 50 or 60 games when more alternatives become available? I think I would go with Bruce although I am not a big fan. He does seem to have a pretty good attitude.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)

Problem with your argument is that all those guys have a track record of productivity. Avi does not have that luxury.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Problem with your argument is that all those guys have a track record of productivity. Avi does not have that luxury.

He doesn't have a track record of hitting .130. In fact his first 23 games with the White Sox, he hit .349. Last year he was putting up decent numbers for a while. If they continue to trot him out ther,e he will get hot for a while eventually. His track record has shown that,. I am not opposed to having him sent down. I just don't think, unless they radically adjust his stance and approach, it will do anything to improve him. Whether they stick with him or move on, which they will do if this continues much longer, they will get more production out of the DH spot than they have had so far this season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
He doesn't have a track record of hitting .130. In fact his first 23 games with the White Sox, he hit .349. Last year he was putting up decent numbers for a while. If they continue to trot him out ther,e he will get hot for a while eventually. His track record has shown that,. I am not opposed to having him sent down. I just don't think, unless they radically adjust his stance and approach, it will do anything to improve him. Whether they stick with him or move on, which they will do if this continues much longer, they will get more production out of the DH spot than they have had so far this season.

His track record shows he puts up unsustainable BABIPs for short periods of time and then quickly comes down back to earth due to a complete lack of plate discipline. I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. You're a smart guy, I know you can't possibly believe he's the answer at DH, whether short-term or long-term.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
His track record shows he puts up unsustainable BABIPs for short periods of time and then quickly comes down back to earth due to a complete lack of plate discipline. I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. You're a smart guy, I know you can't possibly believe he's the answer at DH, whether short-term or long-term.

He probably isn't. He wan't who the team thought would DH. I am just saying as much as he may suck, he is better than what he has shown. The problem is Ishikawa isn't much better. I mentioned somewhere else Coats is becoming a flavor of the month but how will he be an improvement at the plate? He doesn't walk and when you mention unsustainable BABIP he is either at or close to .500. They are probably in trying to buy some time mode for more trade possibilities.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)

Tldr: why don't people watch baseball like me?? :(:(

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
To those of you who decry; "stop complaining. this team is 12 and 6": I'm quite confident that the front office is working very hard, trying to "improve" this team.

Does anyone think that Hahn is sitting back, with his feet up on his desk, celebrating this start, and patting himself on the back, with complete confidence that his job is finished, and that he has successfully put together a roster, which will go deep into the Post Season? Trust me, he isn't and well he should not be.

The big difference is that Rick Hahn is being paid to improve the team. He is supposed to be stressed out about doing something. None of us fall into that category. But hey, don't let me stop the Misery crowd from hobbling themselves as the Sox biggest fans.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
He doesn't have a track record of hitting .130. In fact his first 23 games with the White Sox, he hit .349. Last year he was putting up decent numbers for a while.

Yep, and this is the main reason why Avi is so frustrating. He looks good for a month or so, sucks for a few months, looks good for another month or so, sucks for a few more months, etc. Just when you're ready to give up on him, he teases you, and then eventually lets you down again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
I am sure they are looking for an outside addition , as I don't think Ishikawa provides much of an upgrade. But what is available mostly for money right now? I would imagine Jay Bruce. The question becomes do you want to blow your wad on 140 games with Jay Bruce or wait 50 or 60 games when more alternatives become available? I think I would go with Bruce although I am not a big fan. He does seem to have a pretty good attitude.

If I were Hahn, I'd look to make a move sooner rather than later, when the bidding wars start. The Sox don't have enough in their minor league system to out-bid another team.

I'm not too hot on Bruce (or Markakis), but I think that salary-dump players like those two might be the most realistic options for the Sox. The sooner the Reds and Braves move those guys, the more money they save, so there's some incentive to move them before the ASB. But I'm not sure if the savings are enough incentive to pass on getting potentially better prospect packages from other teams in July.