AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
Chris Sale had 8 starts of 7+ IP with less than 110 pitches in 2015, he has accomplished this feat in each of his first 5 starts this season.

He really is amazing. His only weakness is perhaps a short temper coupled with bouts of wildness that accompany it but man, he's working four pitches easy every game it seems. Now that he has that little 90 fastball he can get so many more easy groundball outs.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just rewatching the game it looked like Lawries crazy ass was like "I'm safe, I'm safe" on the play he over ran 3rd then McEwing was like "no you're out" and Lawrie then gives him a look like "no, replay it!". lol. Everything works out when you are winning. That was a play I got visibly frustrated with (slammed my hand down on the desk actually) and it worked out. Would have been a total rally killer instead of bases loaded no outs they'd have had 1st and 2nd one out. Big difference, thank goodness for replay.

This is too amazing for words. Sox have been consistently good to great so far this season. Several folks have already said it, but this is what it's like when we truly have the best pitcher in baseball. Sale has taken that additional step to where he's not gonna have a bad night like he occasionally had in the past (knock on wood and all that stuff; there is no such thing as a jinx people). 15 hits and even Avi busts loose, perhaps feeling the heat from Robin implying he'd be sent down.

One month doesn't mean anything obviously, but I still say we could beat the Cubs in the World Series if this continues and our rotation stays sharp and healthy. Sale, Q, Latos and Rodon could be the foursome to do it especially since we have a good closer and set up man in Albers.

Even the guys I started to dislike are doing OK to good. Rollins is hitting .262 and Navarro did well tonight. And Austin Jackson with the three hits. Way to kick some Blue Jay ass White Sox.

Keep it up, but congrats on a fine April so far.

Even our manager has matured. He's doing a fine job. I had a chicago friend call me today and he said, all that crap about Robin? You don't hear any of that any more.

Edited by greg775

Currently, the highest winning % in the League, and they have played a game or 2 more than most teams.

And they have played more games on the road. This is indeed remarkable.

If you had predicted that they could be where they are, with Abreu having this terrible start, you would never believe it.

Only in baseball!!!!

Edited by Lillian

I love Putnam striking out the side in the 9th. He's got great stuff, everyone kind of forgot how good he was in 2014 after his struggles last year, though that was largely due to some bad luck on HR/FB%. I'm a big Putnam fan, though I like everyone in our pen, even Duke.

Edited by OmarComing25

RV has little to nothing to do with it, much like every other manager. The historical pitching to start and the massively improved defense aren't some RV pixie dust it's just a better roster with better players in better spots. RV has already had his usual share of befuddling decisions but even at worst a bad manager tactics wise is worth -1 or -2 wins a year at most.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
He really is amazing. His only weakness is perhaps a short temper coupled with bouts of wildness that accompany it but man, he's working four pitches easy every game it seems. Now that he has that little 90 fastball he can get so many more easy groundball outs.

He's evolving from an elite thrower to an elite pitcher, it's incredible to witness and he's making it look so easy.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
RV has little to nothing to do with it, much like every other manager. The historical pitching to start and the massively improved defense aren't some RV pixie dust it's just a better roster with better players in better spots. RV has already had his usual share of befuddling decisions but even at worst a bad manager tactics wise is worth -1 or -2 wins a year at most.

Just curious which befuddling decisions you're referring to, I think he's been fine.

Just watching the video replays, looks like solid D again. Can't believe how fundamentally sound they have reverted into being. Really, really like Lawrie's 2b. I don't know if numbers will back it up but I'm thrilled with our IF which seemed like it could actually have been downgraded defensively.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 02:35 AM)
Yep

We'll have to look them in the face and beat them down.

Or if we're still in first place, just go .500 against them or 6-4 would be nice. Royals seem to be winning out of habit. I'm not crazy about their team. Let's see if they have the magic again this season or if that starting rotation just plain kills them as the season marches on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
Just watching the video replays, looks like solid D again. Can't believe how fundamentally sound they have reverted into being. Really, really like Lawrie's 2b. I don't know if numbers will back it up but I'm thrilled with our IF which seemed like it could actually have been downgraded defensively.

It was a very well played game defensively, everyone did their part. Eaton has become a truly elite defensive right fielder, I don't think this is a small sample size aberration, he's just unreal out there, makes it all look so easy.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)
Just curious which befuddling decisions you're referring to, I think he's been fine.

eh, you're more than welcome to sort trough the old game threads! Most recent was Duke v Beltre when albers was available. It worked out for the Sox so nobody remembers. Good players make a good team and Duke bailed him out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 10:52 PM)

For whatever Reason it doesn't seem like Rollins gets the ball hit to him that much. I honestly wonder if that is by plan. He's clearly the weak link and he hasn't had too much action. Navarro threw out a runner, that was nice.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
It was a very well played game defensively, everyone did their part. Eaton has become a truly elite defensive right fielder, I don't think this is a small sample size aberration, he's just unreal out there, makes it all look so easy.

One thing with the throws - I saw a statinc or some stat place showed eaton last year had among the highest throwing velocity. He often throws it right in front of him. I'm wondering if him not needing to worry about hitting the mound on the throw home/being left handed in RF is just his sweet spot.

But yes, all of his jumps. I love it. This team. What a surprise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
One thing with the throws - I saw a statinc or some stat place showed eaton last year had among the highest throwing velocity. He often throws it right in front of him. I'm wondering if him not needing to worry about hitting the mound on the throw home/being left handed in RF is just his sweet spot.

But yes, all of his jumps. I love it. This team. What a surprise.

His throws are definitely much improved, oddly enough the signing of Jackson has basically turned him into a mini Heyward.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
eh, you're more than welcome to sort trough the old game threads! Most recent was Duke v Beltre when albers was available. It worked out for the Sox so nobody remembers. Good players make a good team and Duke bailed him out.

Also playing Sands at 1B where he had 2 bad picks one of which almost cost us a game.

I was just thinking about when I looked at our April schedule and thought how could we get to .500 on that schedule. Now I'm looking at each game coming up and like "when do we lose?"

Let's sweep the birds.

Really impressive start to the season, as mentioned already, but it really does continue to impress me. I haven't been able to watch games as I finish up my semester, but I observe box scores. The law of averages dictates that the hitting has to heat up, and tonight was a good showing of it.

Happy all around!