Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
What about Reddick and Doolittle from Oakland? What power LH relievers will be available because the Sox could use one.

I'd be good with that combo, but Doolittle isn't exactly having a great season

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
This is where it would be nice to have the Cubs' farm system, lol. We could just target nearly ANYONE, Braun, Trout, Harper, doesn't matter, pretty much nobody would be off-limits completely.

Granted, Soler's not worth very much at the moment, Baez might be needed instead of using him as trade bait, but they have enough pieces remaining to make similar trades to what KC did last year adding Cueto and Zobrist at the deadline.

One would think the Yankees would prioritize moving Andrew Miller if they fall out of contention in July...keeping Betances and Chapman to build around for next year.

What would the Sox be willing to give up for him, though? It's going to be a pretty damned steep price. Brian Cashman still remembers Contreras and Quintana getting away...although in fairness, we gave them Swisher for nothing at least.

The Cubs fans at least think they only need to give up minor leaguers for Trout, which is hysterical.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm 99.999999999999999999999999% this wouldn't happen, but I wonder who the Sox would have to give up to get Gray, Reddick, and Doolittle as a trio.

Rodon, Anderson, Fulmer, Adams, Engel and probably a few extra things.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 11, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
The Cubs fans at least think they only need to give up minor leaguers for Trout, which is hysterical.

I just can't see a way to trade for Trout and not severely alter their current team. I know it's Trout, but he can't play every position.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 12, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
Keith Law mentioned that Kole Calhoun could interest the Sox if the Angels decide to shop him.

I like Law's train of thought on this. Calhoun is a very realistic possibility if the Halos continue to sink in the ALW. Maybe EJ + low level minor leaguer for Calhoun?

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ May 12, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
I want Reddick. Realistic, shouldn't cost a ton as an impending FA, very good player with a solid glove.

Except that multiple teams will be trying to outbid one another for him, which means that the winner will likely overpay. The winner will also receive a comp pick for next year, after Reddick departs as a free agent in the winter. So, I'd imagine that Reddick would cost at least a late first-round prospect or a semi-decent ML-ready player (and possibly more than that).

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
Except that multiple teams will be trying to outbid one another for him, which means that the winner will likely overpay. The winner will also receive a comp pick for next year, after Reddick departs as a free agent in the winter. So, I'd imagine that Reddick would cost at least a late first-round prospect or a semi-decent ML-ready player (and possibly more than that).

The team that trades for Reddick would not get a comp pick, it would be lost in the trade. But yes, Oakland would need something at least equal in value to the pick.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 13, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
No way.

Who would the Sox have in the rotation if he was traded? Sale, Q, question marks in Latos and Gonzalez and some scrub?

Trading Rodon would make the team worse, not better IMO.

Trade Fulmer or Anderson to recoop the loss of Rodon

EDIT: I am against trading Rodon FWIW, just thinking about potential moves. Adding those 2 bats would make the offense pretty unstoppable.

Edited by Dunt

Players that should be moved and bring the most value back are Huston Street, Kole Calhoun, and Hector Santiago.

July 2015: Yoenis Cespedes from DET to NYM for 2 of Met's top 15 prospects.

This is a decent comparison for Calhoun because they are both power hitting OF's that play great defense but in our situation Calhoun holds higher value because he's a lefty with an extra year of control. He will easily net 3 top prospects and those 3 players would immediately become our top 3 prospects (lol).

Just goes to show how far off teams' fans and opposing teams' fans are about trade value/s for a player...that said, Huston Street might be the more interesting option to supplement our bullpen. Calhoun's going to be too expensive on the prospect front...and their need for Anderson is somewhat mitigated by the presence of Simmons (granted, he's injured currently).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Players that should be moved and bring the most value back are Huston Street, Kole Calhoun, and Hector Santiago.

July 2015: Yoenis Cespedes from DET to NYM for 2 of Met's top 15 prospects.

This is a decent comparison for Calhoun because they are both power hitting OF's that play great defense but in our situation Calhoun holds higher value because he's a lefty with an extra year of control. He will easily net 3 top prospects and those 3 players would immediately become our top 3 prospects (lol).

Just goes to show how far off teams' fans and opposing teams' fans are about trade value/s for a player...that said, Huston Street might be the more interesting option to supplement our bullpen. Calhoun's going to be too expensive on the prospect front...and their need for Anderson is somewhat mitigated by the presence of Simmons (granted, he's injured currently).

We need a starter, not a closer.

You don't need a big name player in a trade. Look for our weaknesses, what can improve those, and what can do so while not spending the farm.

Bats: We could use a LHB with a bit of pop. Preferably this guy can play 1B and some OF. I wouldn't mind a SS, however Saladino brings defense IMO, so even if not Rollins, think we are okay there.

Glove: We could use an OF glove to play a bit for Melky out there - this would allow him to DH and sit Garcia (don't get caught up in a few weeks, Garcia most likely hasn't put "it" together)

Bench: If we truly are going to make a playoff run it would be nice to have a guy who can steal some bases. Some elite speed.

Pitching: Like every other team could use another pen guy. But with Fulmer I think we can make do. He may not be ready, but he can be ready to throw an inning here and there at the majors level.

We could also use a 4/5 type. Again, who couldn't. I'd rather not spend big on this and wait. If come July 30 we look like we have a good chance of making the playoffs then spending on a #4 seems a bit dumb. You only use 3 in a rotation mostly come playoffs.

So all that being said, and then looking at the teams willing to trade? One guy comes to mind for me ... not saying he's available, but a team may be willing to sell low/young/controllable guy if we give the right package .... which is Billy Hamilton....

He gives you the elite speed. The elite defense. Can shift Austin Jackson to LF or Billy to LF. He's only 25. Can't hit really. Strikes out a lot. Doesn't walk. But that OF defense would be epic.

He's young enough that he still will probably cost a lot. And the Reds might not be willing to give up yet, but agin, they may want to sell before they cant.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Rodon has struggled recently but soon, when he gets on a roll, the very thought of him being traded will make you laugh.

Agreed, really want to see more development of the changeup if he's ever going to reach his potential, but he's too young and too good right now to sell on him. Really just spitballing ideas right now. How would people feel about moving Fulmer for an arm? There is the likelihood that you could essentially replace him this coming draft. I think the only prospect that remains untouchable come the deadline has to be Anderson just because there is a great deal of need at SS past this year.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 13, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Agreed, really want to see more development of the changeup if he's ever going to reach his potential, but he's too young and too good right now to sell on him. Really just spitballing ideas right now. How would people feel about moving Fulmer for an arm? There is the likelihood that you could essentially replace him this coming draft. I think the only prospect that remains untouchable come the deadline has to be Anderson just because there is a great deal of need at SS past this year.

They won't acquire anyone that they need to move Fulmer for though on the pitching side. I think they'll add a going to be free agent LH hitter and a #4 starter of some kind.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 13, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)

I wouldn't trade any top prospect unless they get a guy that is definitely going to help them win and help them beyond this season, and is on a decent deal. The Sox have money to spend. Eventually teams will be looking to dump payroll. Money instead of prospects should be the Sox theme IMO.