5/11 - White Sox @ Rangers

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 05:07 PM)
How does that make sense when we have 2 scheduled off-days in the next 5 days and are likely to lose at least one game out of three in NYC due to the weather forecast?

I guess we're playing for August/September...as Ventura learned in 2012 when that team completely wore down during the stretch run.

If a guy is sore today, a day off tomorrow doesn't help. That makes perfect sense to me.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
Someone is going to have to explain this to me. Why would Ventura try a hit and run with Sanchez (who hardly plays) AND a slow / average runner at first base?

He screws up the bullpen in a winnable game last night and he makes this strange decision this afternoon.

Guess he's back to his normal self now.

At least they didn't get swept but these last two games...all you can do is shake your head.

Since the Baltimore series the Sox aren't playing that well just 7-6.

Robin also said the pen was limited today but that doesn't make a lot of sense either since they have two off days in the next five.

On to New York and hopefully better things.

And I agree suddenly the starting rotation doesn't look so hot...Latos is now back on Earth, Rodon is struggling and the 5th starter, well if I've figured this right the Sox are 0-5-2 (no decisions) in those games that they have started. Doesn't mean the Sox haven't won any of those games just that the 5th starter did not get the decision.

Mark

In the post game he specifically said they were trying to stay out of the double play, and going for the big inning.

In a one run game with a guy on first and no out, Ventura should have told Carlos to bunt.

The decision to hit and run on a 3-2 count was questionable. It looked like the pitch was a ball and that maybe Sanchez swung to protect the runner (Abreu) who Ventura had sent.

Too bad Frazier didn't get his last two or three at bats because things might have turned out different in this game.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
In a one run game with a guy on first and no out, Ventura should have told Carlos to bunt.

The decision to hit and run on a 3-2 count was questionable. It looked like the pitch was a ball and that maybe Sanchez swung to protect the runner (Abreu) who Ventura had sent.

Too bad Frazier didn't get his last two or three at bats because things might have turned out different in this game.

Protect the runner on ball 4?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Protect the runner on ball 4?

No, trying to protect the runner from what actually happened - a strike out/throw out in case it was called a strike

. I think he would have had a better look at the pitch if nothing was called and Abreu wasn't in motion. In any event I thought Sanchez should have been up there to sacrifice bunt to get the tying run to second with one out. That's usually the strategy in that situation.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
In the post game he specifically said they were trying to stay out of the double play, and going for the big inning.

So instead he runs them into a double play BRILLIANT! LOL

Going for a big inning with Sanchez batting because of the injury to Frazier?

Mark

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
No, trying to protect the runner from what actually happened - a strike out/throw out in case it was called a strike

. I think he would have had a better look at the pitch if nothing was called and Abreu wasn't in motion. In any event I thought Sanchez should have been up there to sacrifice bunt to get the tying run to second with one out. That's usually the strategy in that situation.

The time-tested play for the win on the road was mitigated by two factors:

1) Frazier's injury and Sanchez's lack of game condition hitting in recent days

2) The fact that much of the Rangers' bullpen was wiped out and we were better set up for a third night of "battle of the bullpens

The only thing I can think of was that they didn't notice Abreu was noticeably hurting...because they left him out there in two situations in the late innings where he could have exacerbated the injury.

DJ was specifically worried that Abreu would be forced to go for home on a single (from second base) and would struggle to do so.

Maybe Robin thought putting him in motion would give him a better opportunity to get into 3B, but it was a strange decision at best to let Sanchez hit away and not use Rollins as a PR.