Robin Ventura should be fired today

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
User Actions

Following

Scot Gregor

‏@scotgregor

Hahn on Ventura's status: "I don't think you've ever seen me telegraph any move." #WhiteSox

Not exactly a ringing endorsement

Holy crap. He might as well have walked into the dugout and kicked him in the nuts.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)
User Actions

Following

Scot Gregor

‏@scotgregor

Hahn on Ventura's status: "I don't think you've ever seen me telegraph any move." #WhiteSox

Not exactly a ringing endorsement

Wow. Is that all he said, or one Tweet of the best comment of a long interview? Bush league to not print the whole article. But that single comment taken alone means Robin is GONE.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
Wow. Is that all he said, or one Tweet of the best comment of a long interview? Bush league to not print the whole article. But that single comment taken alone means Robin is GONE.

I don't think that Hahn has the power to fire RV. JR would likely have to sign off on that one.

I'm not sure that the comment is anything other than posturing. Fans want accountability right now, so the Sox have to feed that perception with regard to the manager.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
I don't think that Hahn has the power to fire RV. JR would likely have to sign off on that one.

I'm not sure that the comment is anything other than posturing. Fans want accountability right now, so the Sox have to feed that perception with regard to the manager.

I would bet on that one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
While it might be a pretty place, it would be an awful place for a ballpark. No public transportation. LSD would be a headache. It's fine for the Bears 8 days a year, but 81? People aren't going to want much of it. I always though the park should have been around Roosevelt and the River. You have Red line, Green line and Orange line stops a couple of blocks away. You have the downtown work people extremely close. Could have built a riverwalk type thing, and opened it up to the skyline a bit. But the park now is fine.

Well ok point taken. My point was more I can't fathom why they didn't go for a more centrally located site to capture all the tourists that pile through this city every summer. Your idea sounds fine too.

As far as the public transportation goes I guess they could always build that up to go along with it but as somebody pointed out, the lakefront can be a COLD place when it's not summer (I know, I live there). So your Roosevelt idea is not bad at all.

But in the end, I love the Cell so I have no complaints. Hated it before the renovation, but JR actually did that right, and actually love it now (surprisingly so) even more with the big video screens, which I thought I'd hate. Plus that ugly McDonald's logo in CF is finally gone. Wrigley is iconic but I've always told people "You have to see The Cell for a totally different, but still totally cool, experience."

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm going to assume the worst with KC, last night's victory notwithstanding. If we lost the series or get swept, does anybody think that will be the tipping point?

J/K.

They're not going to do anything. I think we're stuck with management until season's end--I really do.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)

Anything regarding a manager hiring / firing has to be signed off on by JR that is a fact.

Remember Kenny wanted to fire Ozzie and Greg Walker at various times...JR said no and that was the end of that.

Mark

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Here's hoping the injuries to Jackson and Petricka are not used as an excuse...because, as we've highlighted MANY times, the other teams in the division have had much WORSE hardship to deal with than the White Sox.

By far.

Yep, the Sox stayed mostly healthy last season and still managed to underwhelm.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Here's hoping the injuries to Jackson and Petricka are not used as an excuse...because, as we've highlighted MANY times, the other teams in the division have had much WORSE hardship to deal with than the White Sox.

By far.

At this point you are just looking for things to complain about.

No, I'm simply looking forward to a final assessment being made on Ventura that doesn't provide excuses for the team's lack of performance.

That's it.

And the run through the AL Central left on the schedule before we finally face the Twins again near the end of the month will provide exactly that.

Sink or swim. I doubt there will be any type of middle ground (although that's exactly what happened last year around the trade deadline. It seems this year is going to provide an earlier assessment over the next 17 days.)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
No, I'm simply looking forward to a final assessment being made on Ventura that doesn't provide excuses for the team's lack of performance.

That's it.

And the run through the AL Central left on the schedule before we finally face the Twins again near the end of the month will provide exactly that.

Sink or swim. I doubt there will be any type of middle ground (although that's exactly what happened last year around the trade deadline. It seems this year is going to provide an earlier assessment over the next 17 days.)

You're not angry, you just don't want anything that won't give the answer you want to see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 04:20 PM)
You're not angry, you just don't want anything that won't give the answer you want to see.

As I wrote late that Tuesday of the Rangers' implosion, the next 43 games were going to be key.

7-20 right now. 16 left to go.

If the White Sox are in first place when they play the Twins on June 28th, I'll happily sign off on a (one year) extension. That means he will have finally conquered the AL Central demons for once.

Bump. No matter how you slice it, Robin is a part of this mess. Given that we can't fire all the players, it's finally time to part ways with our manager. At the very least, it moves the accountability towards the front office that tried to fix a problematic offense through dumpster diving. Best case, a new voice gets these guys to stop pressing and it salvages the season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
Bump. No matter how you slice it, Robin is a part of this mess. Given that we can't fire all the players, it's finally time to part ways with our manager. At the very least, it moves the accountability towards the front office that tried to fix a problematic offense through dumpster diving. Best case, a new voice gets these guys to stop pressing and it salvages the season.

One more series at home. Lose two against the Tigers, Renteria has to be the manager by the time they land in Cleveland.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
One more series at home. Lose two against the Tigers, Renteria has to be the manager by the time they land in Cleveland.

Can we afford to lose another series though? We're going to be 4 1/2 out after today. I'd give him another series if the team looked even halfway alive. Right now, they desperately sneed a slap across the face and that means firing Robin ASAP.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Can we afford to lose another series though? We're going to be 4 1/2 out after today. I'd give him another series if the team looked even halfway alive. Right now, they desperately sneed a slap across the face and that means firing Robin ASAP.

That would be fine, but with the off day Thursday, they might as well let him finish off the home stand. If the Sox win 2, they go on the road .500. At that point, he stays.

32-34, and lose three series at home---gone.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Listening to Buster Olney's podcast last week, he said his sources haven't given him any sense Ventura is in danger. Take it for what it's worth.

I am one of Robin's biggest backers, but I really think if he doesn't get launched before tomorrow's game, the Sox have to take 2 out of 3 for him to make the road trip, I don't think he is the reason they scored 1 run yesterday and 1 run today. I don't think he is the reason they are struggling, but RH and KW are selling this year as potentially special and they are running out of things to do. Acquiring some offense would work a lot better.

I am not saying I would fire him because I wouldn't. But I think it is getting close in RH and KW offices.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (thigpen89 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Firing Ventura now would be pointless. This team is just not a contender no matter how many moves are made. Ventura's salary still needs to be paid, and how often does a mid season managerial change ever result in the playoffs?

It doesn't, but people will point out Trader Jack and the Marlins after they fired Torborg. They forget Willis and Cabrera came with him.

The Indians once started hitting after Eddie Murray was fired as their hitting coach. Supposedly they all hated him, and his removal made for a better atmosphere. I don't think that is the case with Robin. Unless they give the new guy another hitter or 2, if he managed today's game or yesterday's game, I don't think they would have scored more than 1 in either of them.

But it will placate the fan base, and if they don't contend this season, they aren't bringing him back anyway, but it will, as Gar Forman found out, put the target on KW and RH if the team doesn't drastically improve with the same players.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
But it will placate the fan base, and if they don't contend this season, they aren't bringing him back anyway, but it will, as Gar Forman found out, put the target on KW and RH if the team doesn't drastically improve with the same players.

At this point, a target should be placed on Hahn & KW's backs. It's bulls*** they continue to blame the players when they are the ones who put the team together. If the players are once again underperforming (their opinion), then they should want to fire Robin and see if another manager can get them to play up to their potential. Right now, it feels like they're keeping Robin around to avoid the heat being brought onto them and ensuring themselves another year by canning him in the offseason.