The Second Wildcard

flavum

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
1. TOR +11 (7 straight wins)

2. BOS +9

3. HOU +6 1 1/2 GB

4. DET +3 3 GB

5. CHW/KCR +2 3 1/2 GB (both teams currently losing, KC by 2 late)

7. SEA +1 4 GB

8. NYY -2 5 1/2 GB

Getting close to being able to stick a fork in the Yankees. The Mets are REALLY in desperate need of starting pitchers with Syndergaard struggling with the bone spur issue in his elbow. Cespedes also hurt his quad. Harvey out for the year with thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. Trade partner?

Semien hit his 19th homer, homers in two consecutive games now.

The Sox aren't selling

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 05:37 AM)
The Sox aren't selling.

Why not? They're not drawing fans with this .500 flirtation. They are not a playoff contender. Just start dumping guys we don't need. Dump Robertson, Avila, Navarro, Lawrie, Frazier, Melky, Duke, Jennings and Quintana if you must and see what kinda young team you can build from that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 01:55 AM)
Why not? They're not drawing fans with this .500 flirtation. They are not a playoff contender. Just start dumping guys we don't need. Dump Robertson, Avila, Navarro, Lawrie, Frazier, Melky, Duke, Jennings and Quintana if you must and see what kinda young team you can build from that.

The obvious move is to rebuild a better team but it won't happen for reasons that have been discussed for years. JR has endorsed the go for it every year mentality for as long as I can remember.

Wild Card Standings Last Five Days of July, 2015

JULY 27

LAA +12

MIN +6

3. TOR/Balt E 3 GB

5. TB -1 3 1/2 GB

6. CHW/TEX -4 5 GB

8. CLE -6 6 GB

JULY 28

LAA +11

MIN +5

3. BAL +1 2 GB

4. TB E 2 1/2 GB

5. TOR -1 3 GB

6. CHW -3 4 GB

7. TEX -5 5 GB

8. CLE -7 6 GB

JULY 29

LAA +10

MIN +4

3. BAL +2 1 GB

4. TOR E 2 GB

5. TB -1 2 1/2 GB

6. CHW -2 3 GB

7. TEX -4 4 GB

8. CLE -8 6 GB

JULY 30th

LAA +9

MIN +5

3. TOR/BAL +1 2 GB

5. CHW/TB -1 3 GB

7. TEX -3 4 GB

8. CLE -7 6 GB

JULY 31st

LAA +8

MIN +4

3. TOR/BAL +2 1 GB

5. CHW/TB/TEX -2 3 GB

8. CLE -6 5 GB

We all know how this played out. LAA and Minnesota faded big-time.

Toronto and Texas made huge moves at the All-Star Break and made the playoffs.

The problem is that our position might have been stronger last year, because we were riding a 7 game winning streak...roughly the same positioning in the standings (as 2015) in terms of the clustering of teams and number of games back. You could even make an argument that Baltimore/Minnesota last year were much weaker teams than Toronto, Boston and Houston THIS YEAR. Obviously, David Price/Tulo and Cole Hamels changed the momentum around quite significantly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 02:08 AM)
The obvious move is to rebuild a better team but it won't happen for reasons that have been discussed for years. JR has endorsed the go for it every year mentality for as long as I can remember.

Not last year. It was a form of surrender, in a way, not to do anything while the teams around us in the standings were all making improvements.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 02:17 AM)
Not last year. It was a form of surrender, in a way, not to do anything while the teams around us in the standings were all making improvements.

Every offseason the mentality is to go for it. The reason they haven't made the big time deadline trades in recent years is because they can't. The farm is completely depleted of talent outside of a couple top prospects by midseason.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...df6O/story.html

Red Sox trade for D-Backs' closer Brad Ziegler...with Kimbrel and Tazawa on the shelf temporarily. Still have Uehara.

Almonte, 20, was in the midst of his fourth season in Boston’s farm system and had made 10 starts for Single-A Greenville this season, going 2-2 with a 3.91 ERA, .294 opponents’ average, 13 walks and 45 strikeouts.

A season ago, his 3.43 ERA ranked sixth in the Red Sox organization.

As for Basabe, the 19-year-old is in fourth professional season in the minors. The switch-hitter has played in 64 games at Single-A Greenville, hitting .310 with 16 doubles, four triples, four home runs, 25 RBIs, 37 walks and 14 stolen bases while playing second base and shortstop.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/...d-sox/86890774/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/red-...er-acquisition/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 02:55 AM)

Because they are going for it again next year as well and they'd have to replace all those guys.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
They'd get an absolute haul for Jose Quintana or he would not be going anywhere.

That's why he hasn't been moved yet. But if Boston comes calling with Moncada, Benintendi, Devers. They better consider it. Trading Q only may actually be beneficial if we could get a small haul and acquire another starter like a Hellickson to take his spot. I just really want Anderson and Moncada to be my SS 2B combo.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
That's why he hasn't been moved yet. But if Boston comes calling with Moncada, Benintendi, Devers. They better consider it. Trading Q only may actually be beneficial if we could get a small haul and acquire another starter like a Hellickson to take his spot. I just really want Anderson and Moncada to be my SS 2B combo.

No, he hasn't been moved because we're not selling.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
I disagree. They want to keep him.

May be true. I just think if a team overpaid they would. No one is untouchable. I'm a huge fan of his so I don't want him moved but this team has gone nowhere and isn't a playoff team.