Illinois High School Football Thread

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not too hot. I watched the Rice-Mt. Carmel game tonight. Rice got slugged 42-7. I will NEVER criticize high school kids as they are kids not getting paid and are trying. That being said coach Q is using two QBs and letting them each play a series, rotating. That's never worked on any level.

Rice was down 28-0 and the public address announcer told the fans to quit making negative comments. I forget the word he used. Damn I wish I could remember it. It wasn't 'negative' it was something like 'derogatory.' He actually told the fans to behave better. He said 'this is high school football.'

I'm assuming the fans were booing coach Q. Vanilla offense. Not our night in any way.

I fear this is the year no playoffs. Team is 3-3 heading into Nazareth. After that Rita and somebody else. Got to go 2-1 to get in. Mt. Carmel QB is amazing. Mt. Carmel had big linemen. Unfortunately if Rice played 'em 10 times we'd lose all 10.

Harry ... will coach Q stick around for the long haul? Rice is 3-3 and trending downward. Didn't see a lot of talent out there tonight. That said as always i appreciate the effort of the kids. The ain't getting paid and are trying. It just seems futile.

I don’t recall a time when that wasn’t the case.

On 9/30/2023 at 12:22 AM, greg775 said:

Not too hot. I watched the Rice-Mt. Carmel game tonight. Rice got slugged 42-7. I will NEVER criticize high school kids as they are kids not getting paid and are trying. That being said coach Q is using two QBs and letting them each play a series, rotating. That's never worked on any level.

Rice was down 28-0 and the public address announcer told the fans to quit making negative comments. I forget the word he used. Damn I wish I could remember it. It wasn't 'negative' it was something like 'derogatory.' He actually told the fans to behave better. He said 'this is high school football.'

I'm assuming the fans were booing coach Q. Vanilla offense. Not our night in any way.

I fear this is the year no playoffs. Team is 3-3 heading into Nazareth. After that Rita and somebody else. Got to go 2-1 to get in. Mt. Carmel QB is amazing. Mt. Carmel had big linemen. Unfortunately if Rice played 'em 10 times we'd lose all 10.

Harry ... will coach Q stick around for the long haul? Rice is 3-3 and trending downward. Didn't see a lot of talent out there tonight. That said as always i appreciate the effort of the kids. The ain't getting paid and are trying. It just seems futile.

greg, I don't know the inner workings at BR but Q's lower levels are doing very well.  The talent on varsity the last two years was down and may have been a reason Brian left.  The arrow appears to be pointing up and I think Q sticks around.

They should be in the last three games and have a chance to win and make the playoffs.  Losing to Marist has to sting as they are 1-5 and out of the playoffs but can hang their hat on beating BR.

As for QB, if you have 2 or 3 QBS, you don't have one and from what I heard that is the case. They also lost their D1 MLB who was vital in them beating Maine South.

7 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

greg, I don't know the inner workings at BR but Q's lower levels are doing very well.  The talent on varsity the last two years was down and may have been a reason Brian left.  The arrow appears to be pointing up and I think Q sticks around.

They should be in the last three games and have a chance to win and make the playoffs.  Losing to Marist has to sting as they are 1-5 and out of the playoffs but can hang their hat on beating BR.

As for QB, if you have 2 or 3 QBS, you don't have one and from what I heard that is the case. They also lost their D1 MLB who was vital in them beating Maine South.

Thanks. I did not know that about the MLB. Maine South of course has only one loss I think, to Br Rice. Good to hear coach Q knows what he's doing and it's trending upward for the future. Should be interesting to see if BR can beat Nazareth and Rita. I'd think we would beat Montini though they are 5-1. My guess is the Rita game is huge and emotional.

what is brian badke doing now? is he still in the area? I don't even know what Fraser is doing now.

Edited by greg775

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Thanks. I did not know that about the MLB. Maine South of course has only one loss I think, to Br Rice. Good to hear coach Q knows what he's doing and it's trending upward for the future. Should be interesting to see if BR can beat Nazareth and Rita. I'd think we would beat Montini though they are 5-1. My guess is the Rita game is huge and emotional.

what is brian badke doing now? is he still in the area? I don't even know what Fraser is doing now.

Fraser is in the corporate world last I heard. Just wanted to get out of hs sports.

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Fraser is in the corporate world last I heard. Just wanted to get out of hs sports.

I think that is becoming more and more common.  Wouldn't be shocked if that is why Holocek and Kuska stepped down at LA and Rita.  When you pay for high school and sports are the main driver, parents believe they have a greater say in things. 

greg, I think Brian's kids and work are taking up his time now.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think that is becoming more and more common.  Wouldn't be shocked if that is why Holocek and Kuska stepped down at LA and Rita.  When you pay for high school and sports are the main driver, parents believe they have a greater say in things. 

greg, I think Brian's kids and work are taking up his time now.

If I were a coach I would not take parents' calls. And in person confrontations would not be pretty. ... That said I wonder if school ADs and principals 'force' the coaches to talk to parents. Seems to me if you want a sports program, parents need to stay out of it. If there are formal complaints, allegations of hazing or something criminal, go to police or the AD first.

Tough loss to Nazareth 31-30. Looks like we aren't going to make the state playoffs. Maybe next year the domination begins with all the good JV and soph teams moving up. I guess we could beat Montina and Rita and go 5-4 but I doubt it. Not our year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Harry, I enjoy following h.s. football. I know not many on here care but I did have an observation about BR.

I watched last night's doubling-up of Rita and I will give coach Q credit. I can't think of any level of football where having two QBs trade off (each get a possession then immediately switch for the next possession) actually works. It's always a disaster and the coach finally picks one.

Rice has used the two QB shuffle all season and last night it actually worked better than it has all season. The two BR QBs each bring something different. I'm still not a fan of two QBs but coach Q did get this team to the point the two QB system appears to be OK, pretty efficient in fact of late.

They got a playoff berth and considering the difficulty of BR schedule, the team could conceivavbly start peaking with that strong running back who is headed to Navy and maybe make a run. Probably not but the h.s. kids played hard for Q last night for sure. Rita got hit with a sledgehammer. I actually think Rita prolly would win a rematch.

Fraser is coming to my town for something in January and I hope to hook up with him and meet him and talk BR and UNC. We have some friends in common. Peace out, sorry for boring non h.s. football fans but I enjoy following BR's fortunes every fall/early winter. I'm actually going to be in town next weekend and may check out the Rice playoff game, prolly not if it's at some weird location and not 99th and P.

Edited by greg775

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hey Harry, I enjoy following h.s. football. I know not many on here care but I did have an observation about BR.

I watched last night's doubling-up of Rita and I will give coach Q credit. I can't think of any level of football where having two QBs trade off (each get a possession then immediately switch for the next possession) actually works. It's always a disaster and the coach finally picks one.

Rice has used the two QB shuffle all season and last night it actually worked better than it has all season. The two BR QBs each bring something different. I'm still not a fan of two QBs but coach Q did get this team to the point the two QB system appears to be OK, pretty efficient in fact of late.

They got a playoff berth and considering the difficulty of BR schedule, the team could conceivavbly start peaking with that strong running back who is headed to Navy and maybe make a run. Probably not but the h.s. kids played hard for Q last night for sure. Rita got hit with a sledgehammer. I actually think Rita prolly would win a rematch.

Fraser is coming to my town for something in January and I hope to hook up with him and meet him and talk BR and UNC. We have some friends in common. Peace out, sorry for boring non h.s. football fans but I enjoy following BR's fortunes every fall/early winter. I'm actually going to be in town next weekend and may check out the Rice playoff game, prolly not if it's at some weird location and not 99th and P.

Have to imagine Rice is still better than most playoff teams. Any CCL team is going to play a gauntlet schedule. Certainly wouldn't want them as your "easy" 5-4 first round opponent.

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

Could one of you chicagoans tell me how to get from Naperville to champaign, Illinois via car? How do I catch I 57 from Diehl Road in Naperdale? Is it an annoying/dangerous drive or ? Thank u much.

I don't know form naperville in particular but i57 itself could not be a more easy/boring drive getting on around tinley area

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:46 AM, greg775 said:

Could one of you chicagoans tell me how to get from Naperville to champaign, Illinois via car? How do I catch I 57 from Diehl Road in Naperdale? Is it an annoying/dangerous drive or ? Thank u much.

greg, a travel app will get you there better then I.

294 now hooks up with 57 in Midlo.  That is an interchange I never thought i needed but man is it nice.  I'm thinking Dielh to 88 to 294 to 57 is the route.

BR's two QB system is what it is is.....if you have two QB's you don't have a QB.  The southside draw benefitted BR over SR as SR gets to visit your friends on 64th and Dante but Batavia is probably the only team in 7A that can beat MC.

BR's frosh/soph went 16-1 combined so things are looking bright for the new guy it appears.

35 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That stretch from the Ryan to route 30 has a few issues if not cars going 100+ there is some gunfire often.

Lol I have driven that way many times and have never experienced that but ok, keep letting him believe that Chicago is an open War zone 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Not sure I used the term open war zone but there have been several incidents. 

I have been taking that way daily for over 30 years. 

Off topic, but they don’t even count murders on the expressways as counting in Chicago. If they did, Chicago’s annual numbers would be significantly higher.

They should absolutely count towards Chicago’s numbers, as they are all Chicago conflicts, but they are not due to ISP having jurisdiction to investigate them.

• TLR 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...