Most Airlines just don't seem to care

BigSqwert

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
I sure hope I don't get you on some of my juries, unless i'm representing a plaintiff!

As a matter of perspective, keep in mind that victims of sex abuse by priests get 1-3 million. Excessive force claims are all over the road, but $100k-$300k for minor injuries is common. I'll stick with what I said a few days ago - this will settle for way less than a million unless there's some decent evidence that he sustained a more serious injury, like brain damage (unlikely).

I'll trust you're expertise here, my estimate was simply used to point how far off Greg's $100M idea was. But I will say given this case is already public and generating a ton of negative PR, United will be a bit more motivated to settle here.

EDIT: Forgot that is was the police that were physical with him, so $1M settlement is way too much for United even if they quickly want to sweep this under the rug.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
$UAL closed today up .75% from where it was at this point last week. I guess the 2 billion lost has been found huh? Hard to imagine all the outrage was just a bunch of hubaloo but it was once again. Congrats to those who bought the dip and benefitted off the media's theatre.

Lol...really wish I would have bought in after the story broke. Would have been some easy money.

If it's settled out or court, we will likely not find out. NDA, etc.

I'll go with $3-5 million total between all three entities being sued so far.

https://www.overlawyered.com/2006/09/the-bu...king-that-isnt/

Let's not forget the case of the UK burglar who fell through the skylight in the middle of breaking into a high school...fell through, sued the school and light manufacturer, and ended up with nearly $1 million in lifetime benefits.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
Lol...really wish I would have bought in after the story broke. Would have been some easy money.

So did thinking the stock market would collapse in the months after Trump emerged victorious...many sold or exited the market to safe haven investments like gold, CD's or bonds.

Let's not forget the case of the UK burglar who fell through the skylight in the middle of breaking into a high school...fell through, sued the school and light manufacturer, and ended up with nearly $1 million in lifetime benefits.

I say they sue for 50 mill and get 10.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
If it's settled out or court, we will likely not find out. NDA, etc.

I'll go with $3-5 million total between all three entities being sued so far.

He had "terrible injuries." This United guy didnt.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
I am not liquid so I couldn't do it either but I'm with you.

Huh? Republican presidency typically means less tax, less regulation. The market has soared due to consumer confidence as a result. It has Little to do with Trump himself but switching from Obama Admin policy to a republican (in name) led White House

When war breaks out somewhere around the world, let's check back.

The fear was Trump would destabilize the world, throw out NATO, befriend Russia...the odds of a significant conflict have increased significantly since January 20th.

But what if insights from game theory -- and, particularly, the greater potential for high collective payouts from credible collaborative collusion -- were to inform passengers’ reactions? They would consider ways to enrich themselves at the expense of the airline.

Here’s an example: Once the airline calls for volunteers, those willing to respond would form a consultative group that would assign one passenger to miss the flight and then agree to collectively hold out until the airlines approaches its new $10,000 maximum. At that point, the one passenger would volunteer, collect the compensation, keep a good portion of it, and make smaller side payments to the other members of the group.

Of course, this is by no means a foolproof approach. Effective collusion and steadfast commitment are tricky for a plane full of strangers, especially when passengers arrive at the gate at different times and, after the flight, are unlikely to interact with their fellow travelers in future. The incentive for any one passenger to refuse to be a member of the group, or break away from it, is considerable -- especially because there are no easy group discipline enforcement mechanisms.

To add to the challenges of forming effective coalitions, the airline compensation is likely to come in the form of travel credits rather than cash, making the side payments complicated and hard to secure. There is also the problem of non-genuine participation by passengers who have no real desire to volunteer, but see this as an opportunity for a potentially risk-free payout.

Even if passengers were to overcome all these problems, such game theoretics are unlikely to allow for a “repeated game,” in which passengers repetitively benefit at the expense of the airline. After all, it wouldn’t take the airline long to realize that its highest net present value approach is now to lower its contingent exposure by reducing the overbooking practices.

Delta and the Game Theory (regarding up to $10,000 being available for those offering to give up seats)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/delta-game-t...=3NXOHGXtwoBnI1

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)
But what if insights from game theory -- and, particularly, the greater potential for high collective payouts from credible collaborative collusion -- were to inform passengers’ reactions? They would consider ways to enrich themselves at the expense of the airline.

Here’s an example: Once the airline calls for volunteers, those willing to respond would form a consultative group that would assign one passenger to miss the flight and then agree to collectively hold out until the airlines approaches its new $10,000 maximum. At that point, the one passenger would volunteer, collect the compensation, keep a good portion of it, and make smaller side payments to the other members of the group.

Of course, this is by no means a foolproof approach. Effective collusion and steadfast commitment are tricky for a plane full of strangers, especially when passengers arrive at the gate at different times and, after the flight, are unlikely to interact with their fellow travelers in future. The incentive for any one passenger to refuse to be a member of the group, or break away from it, is considerable -- especially because there are no easy group discipline enforcement mechanisms.

To add to the challenges of forming effective coalitions, the airline compensation is likely to come in the form of travel credits rather than cash, making the side payments complicated and hard to secure. There is also the problem of non-genuine participation by passengers who have no real desire to volunteer, but see this as an opportunity for a potentially risk-free payout.

Even if passengers were to overcome all these problems, such game theoretics are unlikely to allow for a “repeated game,” in which passengers repetitively benefit at the expense of the airline. After all, it wouldn’t take the airline long to realize that its highest net present value approach is now to lower its contingent exposure by reducing the overbooking practices.

Delta and the Game Theory (regarding up to $10,000 being available for those offering to give up seats)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/delta-game-t...=3NXOHGXtwoBnI1

I admit that I thought about this when these crazy compensation numbers started popping up in response. But, I agree with this article's conclusion that getting all these strangers to stick together and hold out would be nearly impossible. In my experience, there's typically more volunteers than necessary when an overbooking occurs. That is what makes this whole United fiasco surprising to me. I probably would have jumped at the offer well below the $800 that was rumored to be offered in the first place.

Edited by SoxFan2003

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I admit that I thought about this when these crazy compensation numbers started popping up in response. But, I agree with this article's conclusion that getting all these strangers to stick together and hold out would be nearly impossible. In my experience, there's typically more volunteers than necessary when an overbooking occurs. That is what makes this whole United fiasco surprising to me. I probably would have jumped at the offer well below the $800 that was rumored to be offered in the first place.

Exactly. Game theory only works if you have all like minded people. Most people would walk away for WAY less than $10k. I know I would.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
Exactly. Game theory only works if you have all like minded people. Most people would walk away for WAY less than $10k. I know I would.

Almost instinctively I read this in Will Ferrell's Harry Caray voice.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

I don't think the stock will ultimately be affected by this. It could go down for other reasons, but one thing you know, you now probably have less of a chance getting bumped off a United flight than any other airline, and there is no way they will take you against your will. You say no, they are going to run away.

The one protection United has is being an oligopoly, essentially....along with their alliance partners. There's no longer significant differentiation in pricing among the three major carrier groups.

It's not like Chipotle or Wells Fargo, where customers have choices numbering in the teens or hundreds in the case of restaurants.

The test will be when customers are booking at kayak and travelocity and expedia and orbitz and the United Flights are coming up $25-50 USD cheaper...how many are going to choose that more expensive option in reaction to this situation? We've seen lots of comments here in China, and lots of "pledges" about never flying United again after this situation, let's see what happens when the rubber hits the road in terms of economic vs. social conscience-based decision-making.

United Airlines Is Now Asking Passengers at Check-In If They’re OK Being Bumped for $200

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-airlines-...-200426898.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/af82ac74-d4ed-...99-turn-to.html

And now United's going to have to deal with Congressional hearings as well

Edited by caulfield12

Horrible incident on AA flight. What a great move by the male passenger getting involved and getting in the face of the flight attendant who made the woman cry and nearly hurt a baby.

Glad to see the airlines getting called out a lot lately with these type of stories. Again, if it's United, Delta or AA, you are going to have a ton of incidents come to light. IMO they act like they are doing you a big favor in many instances letting you fly and the only airline of the big ones that is a halfway pleasant experience for the passenger is SWA.

So there's no reason to just pile on United. Pile on all three: United, Delta and AA. Just the fact you can't use funds for future air travel on those airlines if you can't make a flight shows in itself how unappealing they are for the passenger.

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-ai...th-buggy-2017-4

--This story could get its 15 minutes especially if that passenger who got involved is discovered and speaks to the media, etc. As well as the woman whose baby was in danger.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 22, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
Horrible incident on AA flight. What a great move by the male passenger getting involved and getting in the face of the flight attendant who made the woman cry and nearly hurt a baby.

Glad to see the airlines getting called out a lot lately with these type of stories. Again, if it's United, Delta or AA, you are going to have a ton of incidents come to light. IMO they act like they are doing you a big favor in many instances letting you fly and the only airline of the big ones that is a halfway pleasant experience for the passenger is SWA.

So there's no reason to just pile on United. Pile on all three: United, Delta and AA. Just the fact you can't use funds for future air travel on those airlines if you can't make a flight shows in itself how unappealing they are for the passenger.

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-ai...th-buggy-2017-4

--This story could get its 15 minutes especially if that passenger who got involved is discovered and speaks to the media, etc. As well as the woman whose baby was in danger.

I could be wrong but the situation didn't escalate until the passenger decided to get involved. At least that is how GMA interpreted it this morning. It looked like the captain and other attendants were with the lady.

The male attendant was definitely an idiot for egging the passenger on later.