Scoopcity from WSD

fathom

The only thing that semi surprised me on first read was the Collins bit. That said, the more I think about it, the more it kind of makes sense. If Kopech is up, you're going to have ReyLo! Kopech and Gio up there, might as well get those 3 as much experience as possible working with Zack.

EDIT: Also, thanks for sharing Fathom!

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
The only thing that semi surprised me on first read was the Collins bit. That said, the more I think about it, the more it kind of makes sense. If Kopech is up, you're going to have ReyLo! Kopech and Gio up there, might as well get those 3 as much experience as possible working with Zack.

EDIT: Also, thanks for sharing Fathom!

Actually hadn't thought of it that way. That makes quite a bit of sense. And it's not like Collins can't work on his defense at the MLB level. In fact, it may be better as long as he is not so far over his head that it's actually detrimental. The Sox won't be competing next year, but it should be a fun team to watch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
With your track record on player prognostication, I would watch who you call names.

My track record is pretty flawless. I was right about Jose last year, but happen to be wrong this year. Aside from that, my record is top notch.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
I don't think my opinion is any more valid than yours. It could go either way. That being said, given that he's a bat, and more time is needed for them typically, I think it'll take a bit longer. Jimenez will start next year in Birmingham with 20ish games of experience. If comes out hot, he can be in AAA by the end of May. I'd imagine if he hits in Charlotte from the go then he can move right on up.

A.) Sox aren't going to compete next year in all likelihood.

B.) Jimenez would have to jump two levels in ~3 months to get to get to the MLB as is.

C.) If they're going to suck and have a bad history of rushing players, why not let him beat up the minors for a little bit longer than fans would like if it saves some $$ later on when you need it.

Whats the super 2 deadline? I would think that's the only reason he'd stay down if guys like Kopech and Collins are coming up.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Kopech - The guy is a freak. They probably let him settle in at Charlotte and call up once he's settled. He may struggle with walks when he comes up but he's going to compete. I have no problem with having him in the rotation next may. I think Jimenez would probably follow him up after the Super 2 deadline.

Adolfo - It really pisses me off the team has policies that revolve around Kopech being forced to cut his hair but then when a guy is an idiot and punches an inanimate object the team covers for him. How about a policy where self inflicted injuries make them lose money and they can wear their hair however they want?

:notworthy

Totally fine with all of this. Honestly a bigger fan of getting these guys up (Kopech and Jimenez) and let them start getting acclimated and finishing developing at the MLB level. Collins will be up only if they see that hitch disappear that the Sox talked to him about. They probably really like where he is mentally so they believe he will make the adjustments and be ready for 2018. The Adolfo stuff sucks, disappointing to say the least.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
I don't think my opinion is any more valid than yours. It could go either way. That being said, given that he's a bat, and more time is needed for them typically, I think it'll take a bit longer. Jimenez will start next year in Birmingham with 20ish games of experience. If comes out hot, he can be in AAA by the end of May. I'd imagine if he hits in Charlotte from the go then he can move right on up.

A.) Sox aren't going to compete next year in all likelihood.

B.) Jimenez would have to jump two levels in ~3 months to get to get to the MLB as is.

C.) If they're going to suck and have a bad history of rushing players, why not let him beat up the minors for a little bit longer than fans would like if it saves some $$ later on when you need it.

All valid points. He's one of those of those bats that I think could make the jump from AA and not miss much of a beat. I dont see any downside to him spending some time in Charlotte, dude is going to hit though. His 2017 steamer projection right now is .265/.308/.436 haha.

I think the Sox are sitting pretty well from a position player standpoint, esp. if Jiminez and Moncada can bash.

They have a few players to filter through who actually have some value. May have to dress some of them up and move them in December.

CF still an issue; maybe they should decide which of May or Engel has the talent to be a ML player, and put him Charlotte for a year to develop the bat.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 07:39 PM)
Whats the super 2 deadline? I would think that's the only reason he'd stay down if guys like Kopech and Collins are coming up.

There is no exact date for the super 2 deadline. It is different every year and is based on service time for all players called up during that particular season. Its usually in early June though.

Frangraphs article on Super 2

I think sox are sitting pretty to put a good team together but they need to have enough prospects that they can trade the extras for their final pieces. In 3 years we'll have our own arms race, and we'll want to be trading for whomever then.