**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

On 8/2/2018 at 3:00 PM, NorthSideSox72 said:

it is indeed insider stuff. I guess I don't care how he markets it. I don't read his text as trying to pronounce anything as the full story of everything. It's a lot of interesting insider info, and that to me has great value.

Some initial reporting on the book from WaPo

and yet the entire GOP continues to back this man and are right now working to rush through his latest SC nominee with little or no actual review.

e: also, this criticism:

Edited by StrangeSox

The book vividly recounts the ongoing debate between Trump and his lawyers about whether the president would sit for an interview with Mueller. On March 5, Dowd and Trump attorney Jay Sekulow met in Mueller’s office with the special counsel and his deputy, James Quarles, where Dowd and Sekulow reenacted Trump’s January practice session.

Dowd then explained to Mueller and Quarles why he was trying to keep the president from testifying: “I’m not going to sit there and let him look like an idiot. And you publish that transcript, because everything leaks in Washington, and the guys overseas are going to say, ‘I told you he was an idiot. I told you he was a goddamn dumbbell. What are we dealing with this idiot for?’ ”

“John, I understand,” Mueller replied, according to Woodward.

Later that month, Dowd told Trump: “Don’t testify. It’s either that or an orange jumpsuit.”

But Trump, concerned about the optics of a president refusing to testify and convinced that he could handle Mueller’s questions, had by then decided otherwise.

“I’ll be a real good witness,” Trump told Dowd, according to Woodward.

“You are not a good witness,” Dowd replied. “Mr. President, I’m afraid I just can’t help you.”

The next morning, Dowd resigned.

lmao

• Haha 1

If you're preventing Trump from assassinating heads of state or unilaterally ending trade deals without thought, that's a good, admirable thing. If they all up and quit, the system would teeter on the edge.

I think there are people in the admin and in government generally that are there for the right reasons and do want to serve their country but just happen to work for one of the worst leaders in our history. 

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

If you're preventing Trump from assassinating heads of state or unilaterally ending trade deals without thought, that's a good, admirable thing. If they all up and quit, the system would teeter on the edge.

I think there are people in the admin and in government generally that are there for the right reasons and do want to serve their country but just happen to work for one of the worst leaders in our history. 

I get that, but if he's that inept, they should be letting people know, not the total cover the GOP is doing for him, a guy who isn't even Republican. 

BTW, the Trump/Woodward call is just what you expect. A guy with apparently no clue basically calling himself the greatest POTUS in history, and not understanding how, even though it was explained to him several times, he wasn't interviewed for Woodward's book. 

I

Edited by Dick Allen

7 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

hmmm or maybe the entire GOP could stop protecting him and just go ahead and impeach a man who is clearly unfit for office and incapable of doing the job?

they're only stopping him from doing the more egregiously dumb things so he'll keep doing the egregiously bad things they like, like tax cuts for billionaires and child concentration camps and appointing judges to overturn Roe.

Edited by StrangeSox

Well sure, the GOP stuff is unexplainable/inexcusable. But these admn officials and dept heads quitting won't change or solve anything. It sounds like they're doing whats best for the country in spite of Trump's wishes and/or even direct orders. I mean it's crazy that someone would take away a key document just so Trump doesn't see it and act on it. 

Wolff's book and this book seems to describe a situation where everyone in Washington knows what a disaster he is and they're all trying to figure out the best way to deal with it without destroying the country.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

There are two constitutional remedies! Instead the GOP is busy obstructing any sort of real investigation or check at every turn while the President is explicitly calling for politically motivated prosecutorial decisions.

They get their tax cuts, and they get their generation of a stacked court. They're fine with it. Kelly gets his attacks on immigrants and his curtailing of nearly all refugees. Sessions gets to toss a whole lot of minorities in jail. DeVos gets to defund public education in her long-running goal of privatized christian education. Mattis gets to push for the wars he wants the way he wants them.

These are by and large all people in it for their own reasons. I'm talking about the political appointee level here, and not the career civil servants.

Edited by StrangeSox

The sec of state or chief of staff can't impeach anyone. At best they can try to persuade someone how awful Trump is but it's up to the GOP members in Congress to get their act together. I think if these guys are completely fine being quoted in Woodward's book, they don't really have any issue keeping their disdain/embarrassment for Trump private. 

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The sec of state or chief of staff can't impeach anyone. At best they can try to persuade someone how awful Trump is but it's up to the GOP members in Congress to get their act together. I think if these guys are completely fine being quoted in Woodward's book, they don't really have any issue keeping their disdain/embarrassment for Trump private. 

No but they could John Dean this President if they wanted to. Mike Pompeo gets to testify before Congress all the time. The Secretary of State saying that the President of the United States should not serve in that office would at least get some attention. Haldeman was called to testify before Congress, so the Chief of Staff can get a seat there if needed. They're willing to overlook that for their other priorities.

If the GOP doesn't want to do impeachment, why don't they invoke the 25th Amendment and declare him incompetent and unfit for duty? That way, they at least keep Pence in office through Jan 2021. I shouldn't be giving them ideas, but whatever. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The President of the United States is accusing one of his senior advisors of Treason, a capital crime, and demanding that that person be turned over to him.

If the allegations in the editorial and Woodward's book are true, we're deep into a constitutional crisis with a bloodless coup

Edited by StrangeSox

Trump’s personal twitter feed, lol

Kim Jong Un of North Korea proclaims “unwavering faith in President Trump.” Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!

He likely won’t get Erdogan of Turkey (anymore) since we’re partially responsible for their currency crisis, but maybe Putin and Duterte?

“The numbers are not looking good for a president who has made reducing the U.S. trade deficit one of his main economic goals.

Worse still, signs are emerging that President Donald Trump’s trade wars are starting to hit economic growth, not just at home but around the world.

New data out Wednesday showed the U.S. trade deficit in July widening at its fastest rate since 2015 as monthly deficits with China and the European Union both hit new records . In the year so far, the U.S.’s overall goods and services deficit is up by $22 billion, or 7 percent, versus the same period last year.

The data coincides with Trump’s moves to escalate his battles with China and efforts to badger Canada into signing on to a new Nafta, highlighting what economists have argued is the incongruity of his trade policies. Even as he launches his battles in the name of reducing the U.S.’s imbalances, he has been causing the overall deficit to grow by increasing public spending and encouraging domestic investment.

“The policies of this administration are policies that may not have been designed to increase the trade deficit, but that is their effect,” said Philip Levy, who served on President George W. Bush’s council of economic advisers.”

yahoo.com/finance

Edited by caulfield12