Jump to content
southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Steve9347 said:

None of this matters. The only way the Bulls would ever get the #4 would be if they included the #7 and then drafted a guy at 4 they would've gotten at 7. They are incapable of doing things the shrewd way.

Unfortunately, you are correct.  GarPax have done nothing to prove otherwise.  It's fun to dream up scenarios, but then I have to ground myself by remembering who runs our team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know that anyone has said it yet, but the MPJ back injury problems scare the crap out of me.  What it would do to the franchise if he goes the Greg Oden route is scary.

Also, he isn't a very good ball handler or playmaker at all. The KD comparison is way off for MPJ. I hope a team before us takes him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know that anyone has said it yet, but the MPJ back injury problems scare the crap out of me.  What it would do to the franchise if he goes the Greg Oden route is scary.

He's not going to be the 1st overall pick taken over Kevin Durant...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steve9347 said:

He's not going to be the 1st overall pick taken over Kevin Durant...

His draft position literally doesn't matter once he is on the team.  Either he plays or he doesn't, that is what matters.  If his back locks up again, this franchise loses another year and another top pick due to major injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

His draft position literally doesn't matter once he is on the team.  Either he plays or he doesn't, that is what matters.  If his back locks up again, this franchise loses another year and another top pick due to major injury.

But the cost of the Oden pick was losing on Kevin Durant. The cost of taking Porter would be losing on dudes like Kevin Knox. Of course draft position matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

But the cost of the Oden pick was losing on Kevin Durant. The cost of taking Porter would be losing on dudes like Kevin Knox. Of course draft position matters.

 This is why Im on the fence about Porter. I know you disagree, but I really think Carter is a very solid pick. 

Its hard to project out 7, but Im pretty confident one of Porter, Bamba or Carter will be there. And any of those picks are good for different reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

 This is why Im on the fence about Porter. I know you disagree, but I really think Carter is a very solid pick. 

Its hard to project out 7, but Im pretty confident one of Porter, Bamba or Carter will be there. And any of those picks are good for different reasons. 

It's starting to look like Porter won't be there at 7. I think Carter will be a nice player, but if the choice is him or Porter, getting stars is tough for the Bulls.

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's starting to look like Porter won't be there at 7.

 

Which is fine by me. The Bulls got lucky in terms of how I view this draft talent. Yes it sucks to miss out on one of the top 3/4 depending on your views of Jackson/Doncic (I personally like Doncic a lot more than Jackson), but in reality I think there are 7 guys who all would be fine at 7.

Presuming Doncic, Jackson, Bagley and Ayton all go in the top 4.

That leaves Bulls with a guarantee of Carter, Bamba or Porter at 7. 

 

(Edit)

Its also why I see moving to 4 as somewhat lateral unless Doncic is there. Bamba, Carter and Porter all have their pros/cons and Im just not sure which is really the best. So its kind of nice to just sit there and take whoever gets to you.

Edited by Soxbadger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

 

Which is fine by me. The Bulls got lucky in terms of how I view this draft talent. Yes it sucks to miss out on one of the top 3/4 depending on your views of Jackson/Doncic (I personally like Doncic a lot more than Jackson), but in reality I think there are 7 guys who all would be fine at 7.

Presuming Doncic, Jackson, Bagley and Ayton all go in the top 4.

That leaves Bulls with a guarantee of Carter, Bamba or Porter at 7. 

I'm fairly certain that is indeed the top 4. I think of the 7 players you listed, Carter easily has the lowest ceiling which is why I don't want him. You don't win titles with borderline All-Stars.

The Bulls need to swing for the fences.

Edited by Steve9347

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

I'm fairly certain that is indeed the top 4. I think of the 7 players you listed, Carter easily has the lowest ceiling which is why I don't want him. You don't win titles with borderline All-Stars.

The Bulls need to swing for the fences.

You also don't win titles when your top drafted player gets career altering injuries, a fact the Bulls know well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rumors of ATL being enamored with Young...Again if Doncic gets past Sac and bulls give up what it takes to get doncic i'm thrilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmags said:

rumors of ATL being enamored with Young...Again if Doncic gets past Sac and bulls give up what it takes to get doncic i'm thrilled.

I'd give GarPax a pass for quite some time if I can dream about a future that involves Doncic as a Bull before he's 35 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2034: Bulls make big free agent splash signing 35 year old 10x all star Luka Doncic to a 2 year 500 million contract, joining 37-year old Dennis smith jr for what they hope will be a savvy veteran team that will compete for the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

2034: Bulls make big free agent splash signing 35 year old 10x all star Luka Doncic to a 2 year 500 million contract, joining 37-year old Dennis smith jr for what they hope will be a savvy veteran team that will compete for the playoffs. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the layers of this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we could acquire Fultz? Not sure what it would take as the assets would have to help Philly move up in the draft (since supposedly they are looking to) but could be an interesting option (they have a lot of cap space so not sure if they would deal Fultz for combination of assets + us absorbing cap space?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Bagley is obviously a talented scorer but seems like him and markannen are a truly awful fit together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Badger in that I'm a pretty big fan of Carter. Would love it if we could get wing + Carter (or Bamba).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm with Badger in that I'm a pretty big fan of Carter. Would love it if we could get wing + Carter (or Bamba).  

I think because of Bagley he just really got overlooked. Its a small sample size, but 40% from 3 is good. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/why-dukes-wendell-carter-man-anchor-bulls-defense

In this article they compare him to Horford. But the interesting part is that Carter has better measurables. And he likely will be a better shooter. I know the pick doesnt seem "sexy" but I think hes the guy 10 years from now people could say "I cant believe he went that low."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think tonight is gonna be a lot of fun. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/21/17488940/draft-day-rumors-notes-trades-luka-doncic-mo-bamba

According to Kevin O Connor, bulls looking to trade up, bulls looking to trade for 10 (philly), hold the 22 pick, etc. I am really hoping we get some trade fun.

Wait...how would we get 10 from Philly? Philly looking at a salary dump?  Or even add a 2nd pick in general? Can't see anything other than a salary dump (which I'm definitely okay with).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wait...how would we get 10 from Philly? Philly looking at a salary dump?  Or even add a 2nd pick in general? Can't see anything other than a salary dump (which I'm definitely okay with).  

That's all that's there so 🤷‍♂️

Either it's a trade up from 22, future picks, talent, some combo...no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's all that's there so 🤷‍♂️

Either it's a trade up from 22, future picks, talent, some combo...no idea.

I always remember when we bought Phoenix's pick (I think it was Phoenix pick) and acquired Luol Deng. Those were the days...back when teams would literally give away lottery picks for a few million. Now the going rate is 3.5M for a 2nd round pick. I am curious if we will acquire a 2nd round pick (use that "goodwill" Gar/Pax referenced) in what is a deeper draft where we might be able to obtain a 3-D guy (with all the depth, would seem like a good year to buy a 2nd round pick...if we can't "buy a lotto pick through a salary relief deal").

Philly & Denver are two interesting teams to watch, given the assets they have and in Denver's case some of the potential guys they might want to move. Even the Bucks, with Delanova (or however you spell it?) where they might dangle their pick in a deal.  Probably more of a trade down...but heck, I'd be game if it allowed Bulls to move up a number of slots.  

I still go back to the fact that news and smoke on the Bulls has been so quiet that it really seems like they are putting out this mass marketing campaign to downplay any possible options so that nothing blows up on there face. Meanwhile, I have to think they are being a lot more aggressive than we all think (just careful in managing expectations).

The LA Lakers are the flipside of that (which somewhat scares me) as the whole freaking city of LA thinks they are getting a big 3 this year (LBJ, George, and Leonard).  And at a minimum LBJ + another big name.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's all that's there so 🤷‍♂️

Either it's a trade up from 22, future picks, talent, some combo...no idea.

Portis and Denzel have value...but not for a lottery pick?  Portis especially (albeit he's about to get a more sizeable contract).  For a team wanting to contend and move up, Portis is a darn nice bench piece.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×