White Sox projected arb salaries

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The numbers actually show he made a ton of improvement out there as the season went on.  He was nothing good out there, but again, this is the time to put him out there to see if he can learn it or not.  There is zero good reason to waste valuable ABs on Avi.

Again, I generally agree with the last comment but who else is going to take those ABs? There really isn't anyone in-house ready to take them. I'm not crazy about Jimenez in the OF either, but if you're going to give Palka OF reps it shouldn't be in RF. You can stick Eloy there for a bit and then see what happens. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Again, I generally agree with the last comment but who else is going to take those ABs? There really isn't anyone in house ready to take them. 

The Sox spent most of the season without him.  Davidson can take ABs there, as can Abreu.  Delmonico is also going to be looking for a spot to play once Eloy gets here.  Even Palka can play some DH as needed.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I see no reason to cut Avi over $8 million unless the training staff has deemed him somebody who is not going to be able to produce much in the future because of injuries. He seems like he's one of the Sox better hitters as it stands. Not being able to flip him is questionable. If he's as mediocre to bad as some think he is, nobody's going to give him a lucrative free agent deal anyway. 

Edited by greg775

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox spent most of the season without him.  Davidson can take ABs there, as can Abreu.  Delmonico is also going to be looking for a spot to play once Eloy gets here.  Even Palka can play some DH as needed.

Of the trio of Davidson, Delmonico and Avi, Avi is last on my list to jettison. Not that any of them are good, Avi just sucks less than the other two. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Of the trio of Davidson, Delmonico and Avi, Avi is last on my list to jettison. Not that any of them are good, Avi just sucks less than the other two. 

Again, Avi is a free agent after 2019.  Unless you are advocating for a contract extension, he will be gone this time next year.  I full contend he has near zero trade value, so he isn't going to help us that way either.  Finally when you are coming off of 2018 of 100 losses, and looking at another 85 to 90 loss season as we buy time for our prospects, it isn't about who sucks less.  It is about who will be here on the next playoff team.  That is literally the only thing that matters when it comes to who plays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, Avi is a free agent after 2019.  Unless you are advocating for a contract extension, he will be gone this time next year.  I full contend he has near zero trade value, so he isn't going to help us that way either.  Finally when you are coming off of 2018 of 100 losses, and looking at another 85 to 90 loss season as we buy time for our prospects, it isn't about who sucks less.  It is about who will be here on the next playoff team.  That is literally the only thing that matters when it comes to who plays.

I don't disagree. If you want to give Eloy and Palka the bulk of the time in the corner OF, I have no issues with that. I just don't think that either of them will stick in RF, but you're right, Eloy could surprise us. Even Getz said that Eloy was probably destined for LF. Palka can't move, so unless you're ok giving up lots of 3B when balls are hit to the RF corner, I'd suggest someone else occupy RF other than Palka. 

I'd rather Avi be gone, but I just don't see who else his ABs can realistically go to unless they're going to sign a vet to play right. It is more of a who is going to play there question than anything else. 

Would you rather them grab another guy off of waivers and give him ABs in RF than give Avi another chance? Palka was a waiver claim. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree. If you want to give Eloy and Palka the bulk of the time in the corner OF, I have no issues with that. I just don't think that either of them will stick in RF, but you're right, Eloy could surprise us. Even Getz said that Eloy was probably destined for LF. Palka can't move, so unless you're ok giving up lots of 3B when balls are hit to the RF corner, I'd suggest someone else occupy RF other than Palka. 

Would you rather them grab another guy off of waivers and give him ABs in RF than give Avi another chance? 

I wouldn't be opposed to it for sure.  Heck that is how we got Palka in the first place.  Those kind of moves make sense.  The type of guys on waivers still have 3/4 years worth of control typically.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to it for sure.  Heck that is how we got Palka in the first place.  Those kind of moves make sense.  The type of guys on waivers still have 3/4 years worth of control typically.

Sometimes even more like Palka. Dude just got a shot with us because we are rebuilding and look at him now: probably DH on opening day next year.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

While I agree that others should see playing time instead, I'm still not convinced the front office won't non-tender him.

This makes no sense. Did you mean that you're not convinced they won't tender him? otherwise way too many negatives, and they all cancel each other out. 

If that is what you meant, I think they'll tender him too. 

Crappy OF defense is one way to inflate the ERA of your pitching staff significantly. I don't want them to do that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They do have capable catchers, but Grandal is so good at receiving and defense, that it would probably improve the pitching staff greatly. It wouldn't shock me if they went after Grandal and moved out Castillo for a bag of used baseballs. Imagine how much someone like Grandal would help the pitching staff in terms of called strikes on borderline pitches. They almost always went against the Sox pitchers this year. I'm almost to the point that when it comes to catching, framing is the most important skill to have. The difference between 2-1 and 1-2 is huge, and the difference between 1-0 and 0-1 is also huge. Sox catching was god awful at that this past season. Narvaez is fine at hitting but he's so awful as a catcher that it makes me question having him around. I feel like his hitting is far outweighed by the pressure he puts on the pitching staff with his horrid receiving. 

Grandal is a good catcher, and he would certainly help.  There just isn't really a fit.  No reason to spend the big dollars it will require to sign Grandal when you're already going to have to ship away a capable MLB catcher in either Castillo or Smith.  

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This makes no sense. Did you mean that you're not convinced they won't tender him? otherwise way too many negatives, and they all cancel each other out. 

Crappy OF defense is one way to inflate the ERA of your pitching staff significantly. I don't want them to do that. 

Yeah I meant to say they will tender him a contract.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Grandal is a good catcher, and he would certainly help.  There just isn't really a fit.  No reason to spend the big dollars it will require to sign Grandal when you're already going to have to ship away a capable MLB catcher in either Castillo or Smith.  

I don't think their receiving is good enough. They cost the pitching staff too many strikes. There is a trickle down effect from costing your starters strikes, in terms of more pitches thrown per inning, more pitchers used in the bullpen,etc. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah I tend to agree. As the top catcher on the market, I saw he was projected to get about 4/$60m.

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, I generally agree with the last comment but who else is going to take those ABs? There really isn't anyone in-house ready to take them. I'm not crazy about Jimenez in the OF either, but if you're going to give Palka OF reps it shouldn't be in RF. You can stick Eloy there for a bit and then see what happens. 

Between Delmonico, Engel, Palka, Cordell, Tilson (who I bet doesn't survive the winter), and even Rondon, there are plenty of guys to cover the outfield before and after Eloy's arrival.  May as well give those guys more opporunities than running Avi out there for no reason other than refusing to move on from a sunk cost. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Between Delmonico, Engel, Palka, Cordell, Tilson (who I bet doesn't survive the winter), and even Rondon, there are plenty of guys to cover the outfield before and after Eloy's arrival.  May as well give those guys more opporunities than running Avi out there for no reason other than refusing to move on from a sunk cost. 

I've already seen enough of Delmonico and Tilson. They both can join Avi on the way out of town. I'd like to see Rondon get a look at 3B. I've seen enough of Sanchez there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've already seen enough of Delmonico and Tilson. They both can join Avi on the way out of town. I'd like to see Rondon get a look at 3B. I've seen enough of Sanchez there. 

There is basically a 0% chance Delmonico isn't on the White Sox to open 2019 unless he's hurt, or someone decides they want to give up an asset for him.  He has an option left, and will be with the Sox.  

Tilson probably gets DFA's to free 40 man space in the next 45-60 days.  

There is basically a 0% chance Delmonico isn't on the White Sox to open 2019 unless he's hurt, or someone decides they want to give up an asset for him.  He has an option left, and will be with the Sox.  

I'd rather they use the 40 man spot on a waiver claim than Delmonico. He sucks. 

Delmonico has an option remaining so I think there's a decent chance he's not on the White Sox to open 2019 and an even higher chance that he's on the Charlotte Knights roster on April 16.

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's why ERA is the 2nd worst stat to evaluate pitchers on.  Those that do should move along with something that makes more sense.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the writing is on the wall for Tilson as well.  His DFA is probably coming soon.

I'd rather they use the 40 man spot on a waiver claim than Delmonico. He sucks. 

Be prepared to be disappointed then.  You're already talking about not having enough guys in the OF that you'd retain Avi at $8M for one worthless season, why the heck would the Sox dump one of the actual playable options they have out there?  There is plenty of fat to cut off the 40 man, and admittedly, I don't think Delmonico is going to on the next winning Sox team, but they aren't going to cut bait yet.  

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's why ERA is the 2nd worst stat to evaluate pitchers on.  Those that do should move along with something that makes more sense.

Do they take OF defense into account in ERA+ (or ERA-) because if so, that would probably be the better one to use. I've been having problems with FIP and xFIP lately. I like ERA+ for what happened, and FIP and xFIP for determining luck. I'm not a fan of FIP(in both forms) for what actually happened. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Delmonico has an option remaining so I think there's a decent chance he's not on the White Sox to open 2019 and an even higher chance that he's on the Charlotte Knights roster on April 16.

Its possible, but hte only way I see that happening is if the Sox sign a FA OF or two.  Who is your starting LF and RF until Eloy comes up?  I assume Delmonico will be in LF until Eloy comes up, at which point he likely goes to Charlotte.