Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

I saw something on twitter about Manny's 305 guys that he works out with. Alonso and Jay are already here. Gio Gonzalez and Danny Valencia are others. Gonzalez is still an option IMO. I actually think Danny Valencia makes some sense as well. He should play somewhere vs LHP. 132 wRC+, .365 wOBA, .202 ISO.Β 

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Actually, I think I've found my solution. The Sox should add Danny Valencia to play vs lefties. He's also another of Machado's friends.Β 

The platoon was about to take over baseball, then the shift neutered some of those mashers with the crazy splits.Β  Then the idea of carrying less than 12 pitchers went out the window when Francona started using more than 12 in a single game.Β Β 

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I saw something on twitter about Manny's 305 guys that he works out with. Alonso and Jay are already here. Gio Gonzalez and Danny Valencia are others. Gonzalez is still an option IMO. I actually think Danny Valencia makes some sense as well. He should play somewhere vs LHP. 132 wRC+, .365 wOBA, .202 ISO.Β 

I think Palka would be fine to get the AB's against righties . Problem is no matter how we slice it we are still going to need Engel for his defense . Now if Yolmer can play OF maybe that works. Outfield defense still going to be a problem without someone like Engel.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Palka would be fine to get the AB's against righties . Problem is no matter how we slice it we are still going to need Engel for his defense . Now if Yolmer can play OF maybe that works. Outfield defense still going to be a problem without someone like Engel.

We don't need Palka to play vs righties. They have Alonso, Jay and would theoretically have Pederson to do that. They do need someone to hit vs LHP though.Β 

16 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I agree with @raBBit. I believe Pederson is perfectly fine in CF. I think your view on sprint speed is flawed when it comes to a player's overall ability to field their position.

How is it flawed ? The best CF'er are usually the fastest ones. Are there exceptions ? Yes not sure how fast Jim Edmundson was. If you want to support how I am flawed by offering example of good defensive Cfers who run as slow as PedersonΒ  be my guess. I love a good baseball arguments but just saying I am flawed is not sufficient data. Byron , Buxton, Engel ,Harrison Bader, Trout , Kiermaier all much fastest than Pederson.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nothing makes up for speed out there and 26.0 is pretty slow, 27 ft. /sec is league average.

Nothing makes up for speed but there's also route to the ball and like BS13 said getting a good jump but slow is slow .The differ3nce between AVi and Jay is 3 feet per sec.Β  4 ft/sec between Jay and Engel. If a ball is hit in the gap and it takes you 3-4 seconds to get there thats 12-16 ft you can't cover that Ehegl could. A good route and getting a good jump/read can't make up for that. Of course a good read does make a lot of difference sometimes especially in CF where a bad read where you freeze or start on balls hit directly at you. I don't know enough about Jays or Pederson reads or routes to the ball but their speed alone would be costlyΒ  and certainly nowhere near ideal.

Mackowiak was sub 20 feet/sec?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How is it flawed ? The best CF'er are usually the fastest ones. Are there exceptions ? Yes not sure how fast Jim Edmundson was. If you want to support how I am flawed by offering example of good defensive Cfers who run as slow as PedersonΒ  be my guess. I love a good baseball arguments but just saying I am flawed is not sufficient data. Byron , Buxton, Engel ,Harrison Bader, Trout , Kiermaier all much fastest than Pederson.

Pillar, JBJ andΒ Almora are all excellent in center and not speedsters.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So is your argument that Pederson is a bad CF because he has slower sprint speed or is your argument that he could be better if he was faster?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are you saying that Engel should be starting in CF because of his defense?Β 

1 minute ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

So is your argument that Pederson is a bad CF because he has slower sprint speed or is your argument that he could be better if he was faster?

He would be better if he was faster. Maybe his reads and jumps are good Idk , you don't know. I still don't see anything telling me how my arguments are flawed . Give me facts . I did so can you. He cannot be rated as an even average CF without foot speed. He is SLOW not just slow for an OF'er. The Dodgers played him mostly in LF and saw the need to put their slick fielding 1st baseman in CF over Pederson. What's the argument for Pederson in CF . Is this all some kind of wishful thinking trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to justify his acquisition ? I got noproblem playing him in a corner . But no way do you have an OF of Eloy , Pederson and whoever in right field regurarly. Doesn't anyone care about supporting our young pitchers ? Whatever happened to being strong up the middle as a foundation of good defense ?

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......