Kenny's Greatest Hitters

TBrown54

40 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

What's my bonus?

Sorry, but this amazing Chris Young find has to be Kenny's bonus.  It could be worth a 10 year contract extension as Executive VP of Operations, launching a second consecutive decade of misery.

43 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Your bonus is a half season of ultra-religious 3B (DH) Josh Fields hitting a bunch of homers before becoming insignificant.

Including one in Buerhle's perfect game.  Alas, 2009 was a 79-83 campaign, the beginning of the first decade of darkness.

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

We know where the rebuild to be.  How many other people in professional sports would keep a job with hardly producing?

Kenny at least showed he could perform at a high level. Hahn, Hostetler and others have been a debacle.

12 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Sure, it is but Kenny couldn’t even land one first round hitting prospect that turned into an All-Star with the White Sox when he had the final say during a 13 year period as the Sox GM from 2000 to 2012.

I feel Kenny has been far more responsible for Sox problems than Rick.  Kenny has one of the best jobs in baseball.  Nice salary and responsible for absolutely nothing.

It’s not a good record but in his defense he was hamstrung in being forced to only pay recommended slot while also picking often in the back half of the first round.

Hahn has been fortunate to draft under a CBA much more favorable to our owners stone tablet commandments.

Of course if I was hamstrung in the draft I’d have went all in on international scouting and not hand the operations over to a criminal.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:40 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I yern for the days when the Sox would get guys like Ellis Burks, Julio Franco, Darrin Jackson, Tony Phillips, Danny Tartabull, Mike LaValliere... et al and lo and behold they'd actually produce.

Man, you are a great Sox fan to remember those guys. They weren't exactly superstars by the time they got to the Sox.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Man, you are a great Sox fan to remember those guys. They weren't exactly superstars by the time they got to the Sox.

Well since I'm a Sox historian and have been at it for a number of years, I honestly hope I'd remember a lot of the former players! 😂

I yern for the days when the Sox would get guys like Ellis Burks, Julio Franco, Darrin Jackson, Tony Phillips, Danny Tartabull, Mike LaValliere... et al and lo and behold they'd actually produce.

Yeah, I was a young kid in the 90s, but it seemed like we got all these random guys who would just be great.

Dave Martinez came to us at age 30, coming off three injury-riddled NL seasons where he accumulated a .677 OPS. With us for the 1995-97 seasons, he played 409 games and had an .810 OPS. DJ had a ,678 OPS when he came to us in 1994 and put up an .817 OPS. Julio Franco had a career year with us that same year, at age 35. Mike Devereaux goes .109 beyond his established career OPS in 92 games with us in 1995 until we trade him for Andre King (???). Lyle Mouton and Norberto Martin post solid numbers in utility roles for several years of the late '90s. Brook Fordyce was a nobody who became a solid catcher for a few years (funnily, ten year old me thought he was awful, probably because he hit nine home runs in 1999, and I thought everyone should hit 40 like in video games). That aside, he had an .802 OPS in 105 games that year! And then Chris Singleton comes out of nowhere to be well above average for a couple of years.

Now as an adult, I'm used to hitters coming to us and totally sucking (Swisher, Dunn, LaRoche, Frazier, etc), and when we do have a success story, it's someone like Daniel Palka being a flash in the pan. Our randoms never seem to turn into useful players anymore (ok, ok James McCann), but it wasn't always like this.

I miss those 90s teams.

• Like 1

JFC man that’s a totally different era and multiple decades ago.  Unless they turn a blind eye to steroids again or make radical changes to the CBA your wish ain’t happening.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

JFC man that’s a totally different era and multiple decades ago.  Unless they turn a blind eye to steroids again or make radical changes to the CBA your wish ain’t happening.

First off I used those named simply as an example of when the Sox actually were getting things right with player acquisitions. I could have easily thrown out the names of Podsednik, A.J., Dye, Hernandez et al if that made you feel any better.

Second, none of the guys I did mention were ever in any way connected to steroids.

Third, you'll be getting your wish soon as the CBA will be changed. The players are going to go on strike to get those changes and the way the situation has been the past few years you can't blame them. Unfortunately that strike is going to come at the expense of when the Sox are supposed to be good which is typical White Sox timing / luck.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

First off I used those named simply as an example of when the Sox actually were getting things right with player acquisitions. I could have easily thrown out the names of Podsednik, A.J., Dye, Hernandez et al if that made you feel any better.

Second, none of the guys I did mention were ever in any way connected to steroids.

Third, you'll be getting your wish soon as the CBA will be changed. The players are going to go on strike to get those changes and the way the situation has been the past few years you can't blame them. Unfortunately that strike is going to come at the expense of when the Sox are supposed to be good which is typical White Sox timing / luck.

I hope they strike for a couple years and totally revamp the game. With all teams worth over 1 billion dollars now, I don't expect the owners to let players strike for long. They will cave as they always do.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I hope they strike for a couple years and totally revamp the game. With all teams worth over 1 billion dollars now, I don't expect the owners to let players strike for long. They will cave as they always do.

The may or they may not considering how they have been raking in the profits the past few seasons. The question may be better asked how long will owners hold-out, it could be a long time much like 94-95.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cause he’s fucking Greg, there is no logic to him.

With the money some players make....they won't be anxious to strike either.  As in all things reasonable people should be able to find reasonable middle ground.  It's just stupid to kill the golden goose.

41 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't understand why any fan would ever want a strike.

I don't want a strike desperately. I'm saying if they were out two years or a full year maybe the networks would demand some needed changes like "no openers allowed; no shifts allowed; severe penalties for tanking; getting the umpires under control to call a strike a strike and not squeeze all pitchers." My disdain for owners who tank has made me not care if they strike and even want the game to implode a  year or two because of what it's become.

Times have changed since the last strike. There's way more greed and nastiness in America. Everybody wants theirs and nobody's gonna give up one single paycheck. You are right both players and owners will have incentive to keep every stinking dollar. There will be a lot of posturing but no strike. Again, everybody wants every single penny.

Edited by greg775