***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

Just now, Chisox378 said:

I don't understand, are they saving money for a future pick in this draft or for the players we drafted in the first 4 rounds?

Hampton is the guy who tweeted last night that he was happy to be going to LSU so that post is joking that we were going to draft him and throw all the extra money at him.

IMO they're saving money right now to guarantee they sign rounds 2-4, and maybe to have a little somewhere later in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hampton is the guy who tweeted last night that he was happy to be going to LSU so that post is joking that we were going to draft him and throw all the extra money at him.

IMO they're saving money right now to guarantee they sign rounds 2-4, and maybe to have a little somewhere later in the draft. 

Are all these guys really going to demand that much overslot? 

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Yeah, they haven't proved anything yet.

I know my knowledge on this is pretty bad, trying to understand better .

It doesn't matter if they haven't proved anything if they have "Going to college and leaving the team with 0 players in round 3/round 4" as a backup plan. If the team doesn't have enough money to sign the high school guy, the team gets nothing out of that round. That's the risk you take drafting high school guys; they're often the best talent, but if you cannot afford to sign them then you get nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Why doesn't 2-4 just take slot money, are they greedy? Seems like taking poor picks when we could be drafting solid players is stupid.

You are asking high school kids to forgo their education (at least temporarily until they/the sox get something set up later), to travel on the road away from their loved ones in another state, etc. They have every right to explore their options in the biggest decision in their lives.

Edited by SoxAce

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It doesn't matter if they haven't proved anything if they have "Going to college and leaving the team with 0 players in round 3/round 4" as a backup plan. If the team doesn't have enough money to sign the high school guy, the team gets nothing out of that round. That's the risk you take drafting high school guys; they're often the best talent, but if you cannot afford to sign them then you get nothing. 

So they can just keep bumping up the price? When does it end? 

5 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

At some point the team would say "no the player isn't worth that amount" and if that happens the team can spend the money elsewhere. 

Teams will often take guys after round 10 who are thought to be tough to sign as they're likely to go to college, but every so often one of them will sign. For example, last year the White Sox drafted Bryce Bush who fell all the way to round 33. No one really thought they'd sign him as he was a high school kid, but they had some money left over and it turned out the kid wanted to start his career more than most teams thought, so the Sox signed him.

So in that case, maybe we don't sign our 4th round pick, but we sign our 28th round pick or something like that.

Usually, teams will also roughly know the signing demands for guys that they are drafting in rounds 3-4, they not only have scouted them but they had last night to be in touch with them once they knew what the first 2 rounds looked like. So the White Sox probably already knew before starting today how much money they'd need to have available to sign those 2 guys, they drafted them in rounds 3-4, and then started moving down their list of high school seniors until they reached the amount they need to save. 

20 minutes ago, Markbilliards said:

I think it had a lot more to do with his competition against Jr college players vs Pac-12.

Could be, but also looking at his game logs he also had some good games and some really bad games so he is not consistently bad. That seems to suggest that there is something inconsistent in his game.

15 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

this one feels less like a punt than the previous 2 picks at least lol

Its interesting how they said he had some good trackman data and how thee Sox gave them a heads up. The trackman thing would seem to be coming from the Sox because I don't think Callis or Mayo has access to that info. That makes me wonder if the other guys were picked for similar reasons and we just didn't get that info to them.

14 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I don't understand, are they saving money for a future pick in this draft or for the players we drafted in the first 4 rounds?

We don't know yet. Likely a bit of both.

Just now, Chisox378 said:

They likely aren't changing the price. I mean they could be, but that would make the agent look really untrustworthy and would probably make teams more weary of dealing with that agent again. So more likely they agreed to deals and we are still making that overslot difference up.

4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

They get paid almost nothing to play minor league baseball - outside of the signing bonus.  The kids the Sox drafted in rounds 2-4 will never have more leverage than they have now, so I have no issue with them squeezing every dollar they can get out of the team that drafts them.  As has been said on this thread previously, at some point, the team says, "that's too much - we aren't going to spend any more here.  Either take the deal or risk it all on college."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

They get paid almost nothing to play minor league baseball - outside of the signing bonus.  The kids the Sox drafted in rounds 2-4 will never have more leverage than they have now, so I have no issue with them squeezing every dollar they can get out of the team that drafts them.  As has been said on this thread previously, at some point, the team says, "that's too much - we aren't going to spend any more here.  Either take the deal or risk it all on college."

I keep thinking of @NorthSideSox72's article about how teams should invest in housing, meals, and higher wages for their minor leaguers.

I imagine if a kid was a tough sign and his agent said "Yes, it's a tough situation compared to college, but the White Sox will pay you a good rate during the season, they have dorms near their fields and they provide meals to the players," then it would be a lot more enticing than "You're gonna make below minimum wage, sleep on air mattress in 5-person studio apartments and eating lots fast food."

Just now, Quin said:

I keep thinking of @NorthSideSox72's article about how teams should invest in housing, meals, and higher wages for their minor leaguers.

I imagine if a kid was a tough sign and his agent said "Yes, it's a tough situation compared to college, but the White Sox will pay you a good rate during the season, they have dorms near their fields and they provide meals to the players," then it would be a lot more enticing than "You're gonna make below minimum wage, sleep on air mattress in 5-person studio apartments and eating lots fast food."

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some teams do the dorm and better meals part of it pretty soon. One of the major impediments to this strategy would be the fact that teams do not own most of their affiliates, so they would be building dorms or meal facilities for teams which might have an agreement with a different organization in a few years.

But a few teams have started buying up their affiliates. If they are able to have teams at every level, they could implement this strategy pretty quickly.

I certainly don't blame HS guys for asking for overslot deals.  They have leverage, they can just go to college instead.  They're also typically fairly straightforward in communicating their rough $$$ expectations ahead of time, so teams usually know what they're getting into, more or less, and can plan accordingly.  

On the flip side, teams aren't shy about shafting college seniors, who have no leverage and end up with underslot deals.  The HS guys are sort of the other side of the coin.  It's a business, for both the players and the teams.  

Edited by bighurt574
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

It is also way better for development to have constant access to good coaches, fitness experts, and nutritionists. 

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some teams do the dorm and better meals part of it pretty soon. One of the major impediments to this strategy would be the fact that teams do not own most of their affiliates, so they would be building dorms or meal facilities for teams which might have an agreement with a different organization in a few years.

But a few teams have started buying up their affiliates. If they are able to have teams at every level, they could implement this strategy pretty quickly.

I imagine it wouldn't cost the White Sox much to rent a bunch of apartments in Kannapolis if they want a non-permanent solution. 

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

It is also way better for development to have constant access to good coaches, fitness experts, and nutritionists. 

It's literally better for everyone except baseball's immediate wallet. 

15 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Yeah, under the current system, these HS guys are facing a good 3-4 years in the minors if not more making basically nothing, then even if they make the majors eventually, they're cost controlled for six years.  This is basically their only chance for the next decade of being able to extract some extra money.  

• bmags unpinned this topic