7/9 Games

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Hansen- 0.2 IP, 2 BB, 1 H, 1 K

Just when you think he might be turning a slight corner... nope.

He’s a non prospect for me currently, hoping we can get a shut down middle reliever from him one day but that’s like a 2% chance currently. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea we're wasting time with Vaughn in A ball, high or otherwise.  Get him up to AA this weekend then a cup of coffee in AAA and he's in MLB next July.

I'm actually not sure why they like these short tours for the college players. Madrigal played 12 games in Kanny last year, I assume that's the play. 

Considering the whirlwind of moving, finding a place, meeting new teammates, meeting new coaches, I'd imagine it's better to just put him in the level you see him starting next year *if you think he is appropriate for that level.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm actually not sure why they like these short tours for the college players. Madrigal played 12 games in Kanny last year, I assume that's the play. 

Considering the whirlwind of moving, finding a place, meeting new teammates, meeting new coaches, I'd imagine it's better to just put him in the level you see him starting next year *if you think he is appropriate for that level.

I was thinking exactly the same.   Tradition!  The way it's done!  Has any team bucked the seemingly entrenched idea of letting a top college hitter "slowly work up" after first signing?

I mean aren't these kids fucking swinging and training anyways?  Sox could have him out on the back fields of AZ for two weeks taking live ABs in a controlled environement, coaching him up and evaluating at an org level, then send him wherever.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was thinking exactly the same.   Tradition!  The way it's done!  Has any team bucked the seemingly entrenched idea of letting a top college hitter "slowly work up" after first signing?

I mean aren't these kids fucking swinging and training anyways?  Sox could have him out on the back fields of AZ for two weeks taking live ABs in a controlled environement, coaching him up and evaluating at an org level, then send him wherever.

His timing is clearly back and there's no way that these A-ball pitchers are going to challenge him, so yeah I'd prefer 2 months in AA to see what he can do also.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Neither Thomas nor Ventura played in low A.  I believe both started at Sarasota in the FSL.

thanks for that, interesting, maybe it's a new thing to prevent injury or something.  just seems like with the best hitter in college consensus that has already shown out with wooden bats at various scouting things you might buck tradition and get him against guys that will challenge him asap.

I would mention that Madrigal was the only collegiate prospect in A+ last year, so even putting Vaughn in A+ would almost certainly be the most aggressive assignment in his draft class. Putting him in AA would be that and then some.

Burger was in A the entire time. So I do think sox are appropriately aggressive with the more polished college prospects, I just dont see the point of the short tour in A ball (while I do see the benefit of the start in AZ).

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think sometimes it’s done as a favor for the affiliate.

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

Vaughn says it's worldwind. I'm not going to disagree with the 21 year old 6 ft 215lb future 3 hole hitter for the Chicago White Sox, and you shouldn't either. 

15 minutes ago, raBBit said:

It's not quite a coin flip, but I think there's a good chance Vaughn is in Chicago this time next year. 

Yeah, once Robert comes up, I get the feeling they're going to get real aggressive with the two college guys. Should be game on at that point. 

Edited by mqr