Pitchers Batting Is Stupid 8/4 Sox @ Phillies Gamethread

Tnetennba

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah new school would have Robert leading off and Moncada hitting 2nd. 

If they are going to slot Robert as a leadoff guy I might want Yo at 3 and a higher OBP guy at 2.  Assuming Madrigal would get on at a good rate I'd like

Robert

Madrigal

Yo

Eloy

McCann

Tim 

For the first 6.  After that is speculation on roster.

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

Is it just me, or does Coop seem super slow to come to the mound this year compared to previous years. Seems like our guys flounder for half a line-up before he can bother to get out there.

He’s incredibly slow getting out there. They put a lot of stock into McCann

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

If they are going to slot Robert as a leadoff guy I might want Yo at 3 and a higher OBP guy at 2.  Assuming Madrigal would get on at a good rate I'd like

Robert

Madrigal

Yo

Eloy

McCann

Tim 

For the first 6.  After that is speculation on roster.

Why would McCann be batting 5th?

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

In a perfect world you would have

Madrigal

Moncada

Eloy

FA

FA
Robert

FA

McCann

Anderson

This. Robert shouldn't lead off as a rookie and I prefer him where his power can do some damage and where his speed is used more for defense than for stealing bases to limit potentially harming himself .

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This. Robert shouldn't lead off as a rookie and I prefer him where his power can do some damage and where his speed is used more for defense than for stealing bases to limit potentially harming himself .

Madrigal would be a rookie too, lol.

I'd like Robert at leadoff, similar to Acuna.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Didn’t you say you’ve never seen him play 

I have seen clips and can read a stat line.  Most professional writers have called him the best hitter in his draft class.  It is possible I will think him dog crap after seeing him play every day but I doubt it.   Just for the record I take on faith what the professionals say about players and their potential.  They make a living evaluating talent.  An example might be that Eloy hasn't looked all that good to me other than his bombs.  Everyone looks good in a clip of them hitting a bomb.  My hope is that Eloy does a Moncada and comes into his own like most professional talent evaluators believe he will.  As CaiSox pointed out...I am old fashioned in that I like the 2 hole hitter to take lots of pitches, hit behind the runner, hit for a high average and carry a good OBA.  If he doesn't strike out and can bunt that makes him Nellie Fox and those talents made him the league MVP in 1959.